Author Topic: TAI CHI  (Read 13762 times)

Denise

TAI CHI
« on: March 23, 2007, 06:13:27 am »
Good Morning,

Has any tried Tai Chi to help with their balance issues.  I am thinking about taking a class, but not sure if it will help me. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks, Denise

4+ cm, left side
translab 5/9/2005
CSF leak repair 6/23/2005
platinum weight in left eye 11/9/05
12/7 nerve switch 8/3/06
Univ. of MN Drs. Levine/Haines

Windsong

Re: TAI CHI
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 07:22:09 am »
Hi Denise,

I'm a huge fan of TAI CHI and it's benefits for balance.

I began a class with a dojo here oh around 2003.... a couple of yrs before An diagnosis (at 2 cm thereabouts when found)...

Firstly, my sensei (teacher) told me that a doctor was trying to get her to take on some of his patients to improve their balance.

My own experience helped mine a lot and in time i could get through the first part of the movements (over a hundred lol) without toppling over. The practice helps you realize where all parts of your body are in relation to space. It's a beautiful  combo of slow easy exercise, meditation, mind and body awareness. I also did qi gong.

There are a number of studies out there (real scientific clinical trials lol ) that now support the benefit of tai chi. I tried to find the one from a couple of yrs back but it's on my old pc which is no longer used alas.  But nih has some and  www.eastwestqi.com/htm/home.html  has some interesting explanations.

Tai chi can also be done sitting down for those who are really unbalanced.

Also, interestingly i think it's in LA that  some cops take tai chi and i know on the east coast a special group does. Moreover, one dojo here for serious martial arts insists that their karate particpants do TAI CHI as it teaches special awareness.

One more thing. Those of us who might feel vulnerable using a cane and being alone at night for example, end up with a bit of confidence as all those poetic easy looking moves are really moves which can fast become a defense.. TAI CHI after all is a martial art lol.... in theory i know for example how to drop a guy with a hand movement to the nose followed by a left hand movement to the head. Just thought I'd throw that in  ;D.....

But yes, balance is improved by qi gong and tai chi.

If you do a quick google with the words tai chi and vestibular and balance I am sure a bunch of studies will come up.

all the best,
W.
PS... wish it improved my scrambled typing haha i edited this for a bunch of typos i missed  first time posting.. ha!

« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 07:24:47 am by Windsong »

Windsong

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 07:29:54 am »
Here's another site...

http://www.treeoflifetaichi.com/TC_VestibulopathicBalance.pdf

it is a bit more specific about a case... how the aptient experienced balance and the help tai chi gave...

hope this helps.. gotta "run" now to an appt...
W.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 09:16:08 am »
LOVE TaiChi (I'm 2nd Section) and yoga.  I have had issues with balance in trying to do both but as windsong notes, I have adapted certain poses to compensate for the balance issues (my balance issue is mostly spurned by my Chiari 1, not the AN).  Am going to read the link that windsong provided and would watch this thread for thoughts on it. I know of a few here (yoga and arushi) that are major into yoga, so would love their thoughts on this as well......

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Windsong

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 01:00:53 pm »
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pmcentrez&artid=552306

here's the 2005 abstract /article i was initially thinking of.....

W.

Denise

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 06:25:46 am »
Wind and Phyl,

I went to a free workshop on Saturday. I really liked it and signed up to start a beginner class.  I start this weekend.  It really is kind of beautiful to watch.  The instructor talked to us for awhile, then he did some warm ups with everyone, then he taught us a few things.  It was good.   Thanks for the response, comments and links.

Denise
4+ cm, left side
translab 5/9/2005
CSF leak repair 6/23/2005
platinum weight in left eye 11/9/05
12/7 nerve switch 8/3/06
Univ. of MN Drs. Levine/Haines

Windsong

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 09:55:03 am »
Denise,

That's wonderful to hear. Good for you.

After only a few classes what was interesting to me was that there were times when all of us were so "in sync" that the energy in the entire room seeemd one, and on one level of awareness the movements atcually "felt" like poetry-in-motion...

Enjoy! By the time the first part is learned you will  see the benefits in so many ways.

:)
W.

redgrl

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 06:09:32 pm »
Im glad i found this thread. I was thinking of trying tai chi myself. I have been doing pilates workouts and they seem to helpa little also. Let me know how it goes Denise.  :)
4 cm left side AN. Translab Sept 20th 06 at virginia mason w/Dr. Backous & Dr. Nussbaum. Second surgery Oct 15th 06 to repair CFS leak.

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 06:36:07 am »
I cannot speak to Tai Chi's benefits, but I can speak to the benefits of Yoga.  Yoga similar to Tai Chi is done with an awareness to the physical body with breathing techniques.  Through a practice of Yoga one can reach the ultimate goal of "self-awareness".  Similar to Tai Chi it offers hundreds of postures, breathing techniques, and meditation.  The benefits are numerous targeting the body by strengthening muscles helping to realign the skeleton creating better posture, balance and grace while moving.  The postures also benefits the body inwardly by targeting specific organs, the endocrine system and nervous system.  Combine the postures with breathing techniques you create better health for the lungs and the many breathing techniques can help with bringing one into a meditative state.  I am a certified Yoga instructor presently teaching and can say if not for my practice of yoga before tumor and after tumor I would not be as far along with my balance and peace of mind as I am. 

One word of caution to those in "wait and watch" mode there is a breathing technique called "breath of fire" that should not be performed.  I believe it was the practice of this technique that hurried my surgery along. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

kate

• Crooked Face Smiling Inside
    • Acoustic Neuroma Coping Support in Los Angeles
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 05:31:16 pm »
I love Tai chi! Had practiced for quite a few years prior to AN. I asked physical therapist about Tai chi, and he said, if you had practiced and have a class to get back to, then get back as soon as you are able. He also recommended walking. I do both every day. It helped balance come back iniitially, and I think it has helped tremendously to maintain balance.

Anyone out there in los angeles who takes Tai chi? My old class is in Pasadena. Since moving out to the LAX area, I only go back once a month. Does anyone know of a class near LAX, or Venice, or the Marina? online searches have not turned anything up. I miss having a group to get together with each week for practice.

Kate
Surgery 5-1-2000,  3.9cm, Huntington Memorial Hospital, Pasadena, California. 
Gold weight first couple of years.
Palbebral eyelid spring 2004 by Dr. Robert Levine "saved my life."
 I  have been enjoying life a lot, even with a crooked face and one sided hearing.

Windsong

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2007, 10:16:53 am »
kate is this place close to you? It's the first that came up when i googled for you....

http://www.yosan.edu/tai-chi-studio/instructors.cfm

and there is this one:

http://www.yogalover.com/venice.html

and...

http://russpfeiffer.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=34

cheers,
W.

Windsong

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2007, 10:26:08 am »
this site explains the different types of tai chi styles and suitability for specific needs ie. bad knees, balance etc... yang is good....

http://www.chung-hua.com/legends5.html

staypoz

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 01:25:00 pm »
Post op my physical therapist recommended my resuming (with modifications if needed) my exercise and dancing classes.  He said the  movement patterns associated with those activities were "wired" into my brain after so many years of doing them, and doing the familiar steps would help me regain my balance back more quickly. 
staypoz   

Battyp

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2007, 11:12:19 pm »
A friend of mine teaches Tai Chi to seniors to help them w/ balance.  I will tell you that I overheard the students talking and one was telling another that it took her a year before she started feeling a difference...so don't stop taking classes too soon.  I know it  helps.

kate

• Crooked Face Smiling Inside
    • Acoustic Neuroma Coping Support in Los Angeles
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 11:13:11 pm »
I just noticed the post stating that it probably takes a year to help, so not to quit too soon. My advice, as a long time tai chi practitioner, is to not ever quit (unless you replace it with something else to keep your balance). I continue to walk and do a little tai chi each day, and am about seven years post AN surgery. My balance is good in most situations. But if I for some reason am physically inactive for a few days, which rarely happens, my balance begins to suffer. It just isn't worth giving it up, and it feels so good and peaceful to do. I believe that in additon to the physical benefit of better balance, there is the emotional/mental benefit of peace and calm. I often have recommended various relaxation techniques to my counseling clients, and for us AN folks, tai chi and other relaxation tools can help with the stress of coping with other effects of AN.

Kate
Surgery 5-1-2000,  3.9cm, Huntington Memorial Hospital, Pasadena, California. 
Gold weight first couple of years.
Palbebral eyelid spring 2004 by Dr. Robert Levine "saved my life."
 I  have been enjoying life a lot, even with a crooked face and one sided hearing.