Author Topic: Band at ANA symposium - why?  (Read 2016 times)

KMajor

Band at ANA symposium - why?
« on: March 21, 2007, 11:14:00 am »
Hello!
    I am thinking of attending the symposium this summer. Upon looking at the program for this event, I noticed there will be a band playing for the guests.
    Three things wrong with this in my humble opinion.

First, so many of us with hearing issues find loud sounds actually painful. I myself am unable to listen to live music anymore for this reason.

Second, so many of us are partially deaf, and sound becomes distorted and sounds lousy anyhow.

Third, loud sounds always, ALWAYS make tinnitus worse! Most people with AN's have this condition.

Does anyone out there know why the symposium organizers would not understand these issues? I find it strange, and inappropriate.

Thanks.

matti

Re: Band at ANA symposium - why?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 11:36:05 am »
When I first saw it, I too was a little surprised as most of us can't tolerate loud environments. Once the music starts I know it will be very difficult to communicate with others, hopefully there will be a place for us to escape to so that we can continue to chat with one another.

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Cheryl R

Re: Band at ANA symposium - why?
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 12:30:19 pm »
I was at the last symposium and they also had a loud marachi band  and with dancers but they only performed for a time.    They were playing though as we went into to sit down before the banquet and several of us commented on it not being the best for us with hearing difficulties.       The event organizer probably never gave it a thought  as with this time.   I think it is the same organizer as last time also.                 Maybe someon needs to contact her but a contract probably has been signed.                      Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care