Author Topic: Pooter Update!  (Read 4196 times)

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Pooter Update!
« on: October 05, 2008, 08:08:59 pm »
Everyone,

I have been extremely busy, but here's an update just to show those recently diagnosed that life goes on and becomes "normal" again.  Today marks just about 5 months post-op for me.  I'm driving and all the normal things.  I'm back to work (sort of, that is a different story).  I'm probably about 95% "normal" and back to what it was like for me before surgery.

If you're still reading, then this past weekend I took my daughter camping.  We are involved in a YMCA daddy-daughter thing and go camping at least 6 times a year.  Our small little group consisted of 15 dads and 22 daughters.  We had quite the time, and quite the crew.  We ate good, played good and generally had a great time!  We left Friday afternoon and came back about 12:30pm today.  Here's a picture:

Last but not least, my facial weakness is just about completely gone.  Just to demonstrate, here's a before and after.  The first picture was taken about 1 month post-op and the other was taken tonight almost 5 months post-op.

Healing happens!  I'm living proof of it!

I'll be checking in from time to time.

Regards,

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Pooter Update!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 09:47:04 pm »
Thanks for posting, Pooter.  I was wondering just the other day how you were doing.

The pictures look great - quite a positive difference in your facial weakness  ;D and a wonderful daddy/daughter picture!!!

Hope things on the job front are working out.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 12:16:30 am »
Yay, Pooter!  Thanks for posting your photos.  Yes, healing happens.  Wonderful!   Your daughter is a cutie patootie! 

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 06:09:26 am »
OH, my POOTER! Look at you!!!!! That is fantastic and thank you for sharing this with us! You both look terrific (I think I have a boyfriend for the daughter... you just let me know! ;) ).....Hang in there... boy, onward and upward to wellness is certainly working! 

xo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 06:29:01 am »
(I think I have a boyfriend for the daughter... you just let me know! ;)

Oh, no!  Just about every father's (and mother's) nightmare - a boyfriend for the daughter!  :o  ;D  LOL

Forgot to say last night, Pooter, that your daughter is darling.  She has a lovely smile  ;D

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 01:16:35 pm »
Hi Brian!

Thanks for the picture.  Wow - you look terrific and your daughter is adorable!  Glad to hear you had such a good time on your camping trip.  Congratulations of a great recovery.  I hope things just get better and better.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 01:44:53 pm »
Way to go, Brian!  I am so pleased and encouraged by your progress.  Great picture of you and your daughter, too.  You need to give us an update of the job thing.  Sounds like you are busy, so life must be rolling right along for you.

I go back to Dr. Vrabec tomorrow for an ABR.  We'll see if anything shows up.

Maggie
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

cindyj

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 02:25:24 pm »
Hey Brian,

Great to hear from you!  And looking just like any dad on an outing with his daughter!  You're so right that this is helpful to all the pre-posties out there to see how well you've recovered and returned to your life.  You are proof that it can be done!

Hope other things are going well for you also!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

lori67

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 02:39:30 pm »
Brian,

You look great!  And anyone who can survive a camping trip with 22 little girls is definitely in good shape!!  Your daughter is absolutely adorable.  I'm glad you had a nice trip and I'm sure there will be many more in the future! 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 03:06:37 pm »
Brian:

I think it's a tie between the kudos for your facial recovery and your cute little daughter.  ;)

Anyway, my congratulations on your regaining facial mobility and overall normalcy. 

I'm especially grateful that you made the effort to post your before and after facial photos so others can see the healing you've experienced and, as you said, take heart that it does happen.  :)

The camping trip sounds as if it was a memorable experience for all concerned (fathers and daughters) and validates your contention of returning to normal.  Thanks again.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 07:01:39 pm »
Wow Brian, you look great.  I can't tell who's cuter, you or your little girl!  (Although your pirate look was pretty cool) Thanks for sharing.  More on the job some other time??
Best,
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 09:43:37 am »
Hey Brian-

You look great!  Can't believe how fast (relatively) your face improved.  Yippee!  And, I agree with everyone else - your daughter is beautiful!

Have been wondering about your job situation - post when you can, okay?

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 02:00:46 pm »
Thanks all for the kind words.  I do have a beautiful daughter (and good looking son, too!).

Regarding those that have asked about the job thing.  I've been SLAMMED the last 2 weeks doing things for the company that went out of business as of 9/15 and for the new company that one of the owners is starting up.  I've worked harder than I ever have before.  The downside is that I got my "last" paycheck on 9/18.  I don't know yet if the new company is paying me or not or if somehow I will be compensated for my time and what I have done.  I interviewed (4 times no less!) with a new company that looks promising, although the commute will be 1 - 1.5 hours each way.  I do know that if I stay on with the new company, I will make about 1/2 of what I was before.  I don't yet know what the salary of the job that I interviewed with though because we're not to that point yet.  Long story short, I'm busier than ever but I don't know if I am being paid yet.  Needless to say, I'm on pins and needles over it.

I will say that people are right on when they've said that healing happens.  It may take a while (I'm still not back to 100%), but it can happen.  I'm not the only one, there are others.  I just want to give hope to those that are still healing and those that are contemplating surgery that healing can happen with some time and effort.  There will be bumps in the road (Lord knows I had my share of them) but eventually it all works out.

Regards,

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 06:53:33 am »
Brian -

life - at least mine anyway - is full of bumps in the road so I guess recovery from an AN just follows suit.  Sometimes the hard part is just hanging in there.  As I told my dad recently (about my life, not my AN recovery) my bumps just keep turning into Mount Everest  ;D

I'm hopeful that the 4 interviews at the same place is a good sign.  If they need references, we'll all vouch for you  :)

Keeping my fingers crossed on your behalf. 

Jan