Author Topic: Can facial paralysis cause teeth problems?  (Read 14826 times)

RattieLady

• Ourplaceourspace
Can facial paralysis cause teeth problems?
« on: August 05, 2006, 06:18:06 am »
Since i had the operation to remove the tumor my teeth have seemed to get worse, my teeth were not 100% before the op but they have got more holes in since the op. Can anyone shed some light on this please? Thank you in advance.
NF2 diagnosed in October 2002.
5 operations since Jan 2004.One was an emergancy tumor removal.

RattieLady

• Ourplaceourspace
Re: Can facial paralysis cause teeth problems?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 06:52:40 am »
Bruce....
Thank you for the info. Soft teeth run in my family so i know that my teeth will crumble but now i know why it's happening more since my op. I'm booking an appointment with my dentist now i can tell the dentist this info so they don't think i've been not looking after my teeth. I just hope the paralysis gets better or my surgoen will be doiing some more surgory on me to try and get movement back into my face.
NF2 diagnosed in October 2002.
5 operations since Jan 2004.One was an emergancy tumor removal.

extropy

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 01:22:54 am »
Teeth problems (sometimes huge problems) are due to that different salivation (dry mouth, sometimes excessive salivation) after the vestibular schwannoma exeresis (sometimes even before the exeresis). That different salivation, in turn, is due to "nervus intermedius" (part of the facial nerve). But I'm no expert. -serafino (Rome, Italy)
2014 - at age 65 problems with left ear (tinnitus, imbalances, deafness, short-memory problems, etc).
2014 - MR found VS, 3.5 cm circa.
2014 - Exeresis, in Rome, RS approach,  followed by hydrocephalus ... and shunt.
2018 - AN has regrown, volume is 2.6 cm3.
2018 - GK (Humanitas, Milan)

ANSydney

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 01:43:44 am »
Are the teeth problem mainly on the side that your tumor was?

extropy

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 01:43:03 pm »
ANSidney, no, not in my case. I'm inclined to think that the quality, the chemical composition of the saliva changes. And that causes huge damages to enamel and dentin.
2014 - at age 65 problems with left ear (tinnitus, imbalances, deafness, short-memory problems, etc).
2014 - MR found VS, 3.5 cm circa.
2014 - Exeresis, in Rome, RS approach,  followed by hydrocephalus ... and shunt.
2018 - AN has regrown, volume is 2.6 cm3.
2018 - GK (Humanitas, Milan)