Author Topic: "Normal " tinnitus?????  (Read 5531 times)

Mia

"Normal " tinnitus?????
« on: April 17, 2007, 05:08:33 am »
Hello
I got my diagnose at 6.feb., 21mmx18mm right AN, GK in May, and at that time I had no loss of hearing and no sound(T.) in my ear.
Still have no hearing loss, but for about 4weeks ago I started hearing "the sea" in my head.I am wondering if it is normal
to have the sound(T) in all my head, I can not relate it just to the AN ear? I thought T. woud be in the ear?
And the noise is only there when I lie down and it is quiet in the room. Starting to getting a little depressed not to be
albe to take a nap when I am not feeling well during the day. Is this something I should talk to the doctor about? Or is it nothing
to do about?

Mia
Right AN 2,1cmx1,8cmx2,1cm
GK 22/5-07, Bergen, Norway
November-07  2,3cmx2,0cmx2,3cm
November-09  2,5cmx2,0cmx2,6cm
May-10 2,4x1,9x2,4cm

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
Re: "Normal " tinnitus?????
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 07:49:40 am »
Hi Mia,

Certainly you would want to call your doctor with any questions regarding the ear as you have (unfortunately) been diagnosed with an AN, but from the description it is probably tinnitus.  Most people experience this and find it very difficult to ignor in the beginning as it sounds like it with you.  The more you focus on the sound the more you will experience stress which, over time, can cause more problems for you.  There are many differenct techniques one can try to move away from the sound.  I personally enjoy a practice of yoga daily, with a single minded focus on watching my body move while sitting still breathing.  Having a single-minded focus can take you away from the tinnitus sound for the duration of your practice and hopefully you can bring this into practice throughout the day.  The reason so many people have difficulty escaping the noise is because they are focused on it.  So, try to focus on the ONE thing you are doing at present, breathing, cooking, working, cleaning, driving, reading, etc.  HOpe this helps a little and hope one day down the road your tinnitus disappears.
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 09:50:27 pm »
mia the tinnitus is worse at night when the house is quiet.  You can try white noise to block it.  I have started taking melatonin at night to help me sleep which helps escape the noise for a while.  When I'm tired or stressed the sound gets worse so like arushi said yoga should help you find a calm to help you deal with the t.

all my best to you.
M

lora

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 02:31:13 pm »
I tried the relaxation CD's of thunderstorm/rainfall and it really does work!  I am careful now of the volume I use on my remaining ear and got the neck headphones, but do kinda a progressive relaxation with it--just turn it up loud enough to "match" the tinnitus--makes chillin' a whole lot easier....
4.7cm x all over my head, filling 4th ventricle, squashing the brainstem
translab by the awesome Dr.Tomaras 4/12/07
retrosigmoid, Drs. Tomaras and Steuer 6/4/07
GK in Oct. for the little bit left?
2007--the year of the head "what a long, strange trip it's been"

thornapple

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 08:59:41 am »
I have several kinds of tinnitus in my AN ear, and I recall telling the doc it sounds like stereo, i can't figure out which ear is making it.

It's actually my brain making it, so maybe that's why :D

The worst thing you can do to yourself with tinnitus is freak out about it. it makes it seem much worse to fixate on it. It can be annoying and even debilitating, but try to drown it out or think about something else so you don't drive yourself crazy.

It can make you feel like something is very ominously wrong>>however, you KNOW what it is! Many people with tinnitus don't ever have a clue what causes it.

Some people have actually found tinnitus sounds quieter when they take a specific kind of lemon bioflavinoid supplement by a company called Lindberg (may not be spelled that way). I tried it and it did nothing for me, but you can buy the stuff in health food stores or online, and it's cheap, so it's worth a try.

(thought I would look them up... http://www.nutritionexpress.com/vitamins+minerals/vitamin+c/lindberg+bioflavonoid+complex+250+tablets.aspx this is them! )

« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 09:12:28 am by thornapple »