Author Topic: GK v FSR  (Read 7357 times)

Romans828

GK v FSR
« on: February 26, 2007, 08:10:16 am »
Any thoughts on which is the better of these two treatments for a small AN? I'm scheduled for GK, but the more I research FSR, the more I like it. I still have useful hearing in my affected ear and would like to retain as much of it as possible. I was told at UAB that I definitely would lose my hearing in the affected ear with GK.

From what I have researched, GK is more accurate, but is more harmful to the surrounding nerves that are close to the hot spot. FSR is less accurate, but is less harmful since it is given over a period of time. FSR doesn't have the track record of GK because it is relatively new, but the results to date are just as good as GK.

Anything I'm missing?
Diagnosed 7mm AN Left side 12/2006.
Wait and See, but leaning toward CK at Wellstar Kennestone in Atlanta.

LS

Re: GK v FSR
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 03:14:32 pm »
Based on all I've read CK is more accurate plus having the benefit and not further damaging your hearing further.  There are some really good posts to this question just below your original post on this forum in "Still trying to figure out what to do".  They basically answer your question.
1.6cm diagnosed Feb. 9th, 2006.  The Woodlands, TX

Romans828

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 09:10:53 pm »
Thanks for referring me to the other post. Good info.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 07:26:39 am »
Hi Romans and welcome.

There are some great posts in this thread (esp. by Mark) and this info, you may find valuable.....

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=3132.0

I hope it helps in making your decision.....

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Sam

• I will Praise GOD in this storm !!!
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 10:50:46 pm »
I had GK at UAB in December 2006, and my hearing is not affected so far, and I am doing Great! Who is your doctor at UAB?
Sam
Diagnosed 4mm X 7mm Acoustic Neuroma Left side 09/23/2006
Gammaknife Healthsouth/Highland Medical Center 12/12/2006
                         UAB Gammaknife

Romans828

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 05:27:04 pm »
Sam,

Dr. Barton Guthrie was who I saw at UAB. Who is your doctor?

Sam

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 03:50:05 am »
You will be fine! Dr. Guthrie is my Doctor also, and I am doing great! He use to be pro-open surgery, but now he is pro-radiosurgery. Dr. Guthrie can't tell you what you should do, but when I made my decision for GK he told me he felt I made the right choice. The morning of my surgery the staff at UAB Highlands Gammaknife were very professional, and helped ease my being nervous. Don't let any scare you about the head frame. The head frame is not so bad. and it is apart of what makes the GK so accurate. It act as a measuring device during the procedure, guiding the radiation beams with extreme precision. The morning of the procedure, you will have to report to UAB Highlands Gammaknife center at 5:00 AM, for admission and taken to your room, by 5:45 AM you will be given an IV, and a steroid to reduce the risk of your brain swelling as a side effect from the radiation. By about 6:15 AM you will consult with Dr. Guthrie, and Dr. Sharon Spencer(Radio Oncologist). usually by 6:45 AM you will be taken to the Head frame fitting room where Dr. Guthrie, Dr. Spencer, and the Nurse will Place the Head frame on you.All I remember after seeing Dr. Guthrie walk into the room, ask How I was feeling, telling my I made the right choice, and then directing the nurse to give me so many cc's of Demerol, I do not remember any pain about the Head frame placement, other than immense pressure. This is where I started learning about the frame. It has markings on it like a messuring tape. I ask the nurse about it,and she told me that when I went into the next room to get a contrast MRI, the frame would actually precisely pinpoint the tumor, then the MRI scan would be put into the computer, my MRI then becomes a "detailed targeting map" which shows where the GK needs to aim to percisely strike the target. The Head frame also holds you head still during the procedure, and I do mean STILL! I don't know much about CK, but the CK uses a mesh mask to hold the head still.
By 9:45 AM that morning I walked out feeling great. I would do it all over again, GK that is.
By the way I like your user name Romans 8;28 "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose"
I don't know if you have read my posts, but I do give God All of the glory for what he has brought me to, and THROUGH.
Sam
                         UAB Gammaknife

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 08:40:49 pm »
Nice description Sam- we need more of that on the website- Take care, Annie

Romans 828: how are you? Getting through the research process okay?  Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys

Romans828

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 08:20:32 pm »
I'm still researching. Tomorrow ( Mar 15 ) I have a consultation at Wellstar Kennestone in Atlanta to discuss Cyber Knife treatment. I prefer CK to other treatments primarily because it offers a greater chance of preserving my hearing.

However, this facility has only had their CK since last year, so I don't know how much experience they have. I'm hoping that the doctor in-charge, Dr. Mark McLaughlin, has experience with CK and acoustic neuromas.

Thanks for asking!

Sam

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 01:46:37 am »
I'm still researching. Tomorrow ( Mar 15 ) I have a consultation at Wellstar Kennestone in Atlanta to discuss Cyber Knife treatment. I prefer CK to other treatments primarily because it offers a greater chance of preserving my hearing.

However, this facility has only had their CK since last year, so I don't know how much experience they have. I'm hoping that the doctor in-charge, Dr. Mark McLaughlin, has experience with CK and acoustic neuromas.

This is something that needs to be taken into consideration, I am sure they are qualified to perform the procedure, but ask them if they can give the same success rate that the other well established facilities are able to give. I do not know why some say gammaknife will cause total hearing loss, but I had kept the same level of hearing I had prior to treatment, actually it has seemed to have improved some.
                         UAB Gammaknife

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 11:28:15 am »
Romans, I ran into the same situation with Beth Israel in Boston, as they had their CK for a year at the time of my treatment.  Based on the trainings and follow up and inter-CK treatment teams sessions, I felt comfortable enough to trust BI.  My sister in Atlanta had alerted me to the CK at Kennestone and would love to hear what you find out.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Romans828

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2007, 09:27:20 am »
Phyl,

I met with Dr. Mark McLaughlin, the director of the CK program at Wellstar Kennestone. He previously practiced at the Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix which has an AN Center, GK and CK. He has had academic appointments at the Mayo Clinic and Wake Forest. So I'm comfortable with his knowledge and experience with AN and CK as well as other treatments.

After reviewing my MRI's with me and my wife, he said that I have all my options open and to not rush into anything. He said that CK and GK were both good options as was 'wait and see'. Due to its size and location, he called mine a 'chip shot' compared to what he usually treats.

If I can make it through the insurance red-tape, I plan to have CK there this summer.

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2007, 04:20:22 pm »
Romans.

That is one heck of a background he's got... please keep up updated on how things go.  My sister, who does clinical trials in Atlanta, has also taken an interest in Kennestone and the CK unit there (esp. now that she is familiar with CK since my treatment and my progress).... would love to get your thoughts on it.

Phyl

Romans828

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2007, 10:44:09 am »
Brucifer,

The CK treatment would be over a period of three days. He couldn't give me any guarantees, but he thought that the chances of preserving my existing hearing were > 50%. He couldn't understand why I was given such a severe prognosis at UAB even using GK.

Good luck with your decision.