Author Topic: Recurrent Tumors  (Read 3944 times)

kbh1950

Recurrent Tumors
« on: February 25, 2007, 09:43:21 pm »
I had trans lab surgery for a 1.8cm AN in Dec. 2000.  I have recently started to have symptons: numb tongue, facial pressure, eye pressure and headaches.  I have an MRI scheduled for Thursday.  I am really worried about the recurrent tumor.  My surgery was 12 1/2 hrs.  I have had a good recovery so far, but really think something is going on.  Has anyone else had the tumor to reoccur?  What type of symptoms did you have?
Thanks,
Kay

puffycheeks

Re: Recurrent Tumors
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 10:35:43 pm »
My Middle Fossa surgery was 11/2005 and just recently found out that I have a reoccuring tumor.  I am going to see my dr. next Wednesday.  My recent symptoms have been dizziness, headaches and fullness in the ear. 
8mm x 5mm x 5mm on left side
diagnosed Aug. 2005
Middle Fossa Surgery 11/8/05; House Ear Clinic
Reoccurence diagnosed 3/2/07
1.5cm x 5.4mm on left side;
Translab Approach 5/8/07; House Ear Clinic

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 08:40:44 am »
Hi Kay,

It is my understanding that, yes, the nasty fact about AN's is that a reoccurance can happen.  Please keep us updated on your MRI results... there are some here that have encountered reoccurance and can also help, if that is the case with you.

Sending wishes for a clean MRI!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 08:07:14 pm »
Good luck with the MRI and please keep us updated on your progress- Know that we are thinking of you- Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 12:47:29 am »
I was unaware of any symptoms when my regrowth was found (investigations for something else required MRI of the brain) and my doctor's felt I still didn't have any symptoms right up until it was removed.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Jwh

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 12:01:04 pm »
Hi,

I had  retro surgery performed 5/01 and just found out that I have a regrowth.  My symptoms were increased ringing and fluctuations in hearing.  It really is  very upsetting to deal with this again.  How did your MRI go?

Jen
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

justafactoflife

• Let's Get Er' Done!
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 03:07:17 pm »
Yes, Regrowth can and does occur but supposedly is rare.  I had a regrowth almost 3 years out from microsurgery to the day.  They found mine in another follow-up MRI.  I too had noticed symptoms but discounted it because I thought the tumor had entirely been removed. 

I chose Cyberknife this 2nd time around for treatment because I was told by my Neurosurgeon the 2nd microsurgery would be risky due to scar tissue and if I still had usable hearing that I wanted to preserve.   Turns out that after radiation, I lost the hearing anyway and I'm now deaf in the right ear.  My balance has suffered the most.    Again, they are telling me that in time it will get better.  I'm not worried either way.  Coping and adjusting to it will get easier as time goes by, just like before.  Don't be afraid and believe that what ever happens, there is a reason for it.

I am hoping for the best with your MRI and keeping you in my prayers.  Ask questiions and we will respond!!  We understand what you are going through, and don't forget....AN Tumors are Benign!!!
AN 1st time, July 2003
7mm x 4mm x 5mm
Subocital/Retrosigmode microsurgery
St Anthony's Hospital, St Louis MO
Dr Faisel Albanna, MD Neurosurgeon

2nd regrowth 1cm x 5mm x 4mm, Oct 2006
3 FSR using Cyberknife
St Anthony's Hos. Oklahoma City
Dr Clinton Medbery, III MD Radiologist

3rd 1.8cm x 12mm

teacher

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 05:40:36 pm »
I thought I was done with this....maybe a little too confident...but mostly just appreciative of good doctors and strong family support.  I had a 3 cm tumor on the left side debulked in Dec. 2004.  In April 2005, I went "under" the Gamma Knife to treat the remaining tumor.  For two years, I have recuperated and felt immense relief that this was done.  Follow-up MRI's were good until this past July when the MRI showed "increase in size".  I am going in Nov. for another MRI to determine if the size increase is due to tumor growth or merely treatment effect.  I'm trying to stay positive and realistic at the sane time.  I am experiencing major fullness of the ear, unsteadiness, facial numbness, and similar symptoms.  I am already totally deaf in the left ear, so I can't rely on that as a symptom.   If I do have regrowth, I am concerned about what to do?  Any similar experiences out there?