Author Topic: micro surgery  (Read 2663 times)

jt

micro surgery
« on: February 21, 2007, 04:48:36 pm »
Hi,

I am a 41 year old male with a 10x10x14mm right AN.  My hearing is only diminished in the high frequencies and word recognition is 100%.  My symptoms are occasional and they are tinnitus, dizziness, and right side face and scalp numbness and tingling.  I am scheduled for surgery on April 23.

In micro-surgery, is it true that it is better to cut out the tumor along with affected vestibular nerve so the vestibular nerve on the unnaffected side can take over balance functions? I was told that if done this way, recovery would be better and faster because if the affected vestibular nerve is not removed, it will not function correctly because the tumor and the surgery itself damages the nerve.

James

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: micro surgery
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 06:02:48 pm »

Hi there James:  I think the vestibular nerve is a goner from the get go, so yes, the nerve from the opposite side
                          has to do double time.  What happens is schwann cells that normally wrap the nerves start over-wrapping the nerve & presses on the
                          hearing & balance nerves,  sometimes the facial nerve, & brainstem (depending on size, positioning ).
                          Funny you mentioned 'vestibular',
                          the other name for Acoustic Neuroma is Vestibular Schwannoma !

More important,  you have 3 options ( your AN is relatively small).
                          You can watch & wait, Radiosurgery, or Microsurgery.

You have time to take a deep breath, sit back, & get to know your options.

Best Wishes,     Nancy
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 06:16:00 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Obita

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 07:06:31 pm »
Hi jt and welcome:

I remember being told the same thing, that a nerve that misfires is not good so it needs to come out.

Good luck to you, Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 08:16:32 pm »
Yep they say if they don't sever (or sacrifice as my post op notes go) the vestibular nerve it makes it harder to compensate.  I know in my situation the Vestibular nerve was in the path of the surgeon getting to the tumor. 

All my best during your treatment.  Where are you having your surgery done?

GOIN2LA

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 06:14:50 pm »
Another option is endo surgery, ck out in search SBI or Skull Base Institute, my wife went there and had a fantastic outcome. Just do your homework look at all the facts not the hype.
God bless.Newbie

SBI and Dr Shahinian
« on: December 08, 2006, 05:32:24 PM »     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Diagnosed October 20,2006
5cm AN Whopper Sticky like Glue
Tumors Name - Ted
Surgery date November 20, 2006
Skull Base Institute
Dr Shahinian
Scripture - Philippians 4:6-9