Author Topic: AN Newbie  (Read 45261 times)

Rob7

Re: AN Newbie
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2007, 07:52:15 am »
Hi this is Sheree, Don's wife...he just went into surgery...so they tell me it is going to be 10 hours.
my mother in law and I are going to go back and forth to the hospital from the hotel that is attached to UAB
He seemed really calm and ready to get this over with, but who really knows what he is going through. (but you guys) I will keep you all posted on his progress and may not get back on until late.  I want to thank you for all your support you have given Don and I know it has helped him mentally. This is a lot to handle..and then we got hit (our back yard) by the tornado so he had a lot to handle before we came to Birmingham for surgery..but he got it all done.  A project to focus on...and manual labor clearing trees and putting the fence back up.  Until later...
sheree
Don
2.5 cm
surgery 3/8/07 to remove 75%
shunt surgery 3/19/07
recovering.......

Obita

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2007, 08:00:11 am »
Hi Sheree:

Thanks for posting that our latest "Postie" is in surgery.  Yes, today will be a very long day for you two.

From the sounds of your husband's posts, he was very ready to get it over with.  I was the same way.  My family couldn't believe how calm I was in the hours before surgery. 

Try and relax a little today.  Don is in good hands.  Please give him a hello and hug from us when you see him tonight.

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Dantheman

• Orthodox Christian Bookstore
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2007, 09:01:56 am »
Sheree,

My prayers are with you and Don. I'm 3 weeks post op and glad to have the surgery over with. I'm sure you folks will be too. Then it's time for the healing...something that's constructive unlike the worrying.

Let us know how Don is when you can.

Dan
Diagnosed 12/08/2006. 1.7 cm Right Side AN.
Trans-lab performed on 02/13/2007 by Dr. Lawrence Meiteles and Dr. Raj Murali at Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, N.Y.
TransEar worn since 4/17/07.

Dealy

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2007, 10:00:01 am »
Don and Family: Best of luck on your surgery today. I had surgery 18 years ago on a 1.5CM. On my 2nd go around-this time 2.4CM on other ear-chose Radiation last summer to save some hearing if any. I know what it is like though for surgery. I had no outlet like this 18 years ago on my first surgery so all was totally one heck of an experience. I can recall on the issues though many people have been bringing up on this forum. Anyway-enough about me-this is about DOn. I will say a prayer for him today that all comes out. God Bless and Take Care of that Man of yours. Hi Don-Get Well-Ron.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2007, 10:03:43 am »
Don,

We're cheering you on as you now become a "postie"! Hang tough! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

gb4821

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2007, 11:52:05 am »
Hang in there and our thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife.  Remeber that you are never alone.  This forum will help you a great deal in the next couple of months.

Here's to recovering !!! :)

Greg Brown
Greg Brown
1.5 cm AN Removed 1/22/07
Suboccipital Procedure:OHSU ( Portland Oregon); Dr. McMinemee and Dr. Delishaw
Complete removeal of tumor but hearing nerve on left side was severed.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2007, 01:55:49 pm »
Sheree:

Most AN surgeries are around 10 hours long, give or take a few hours.  Mine was almost 9 hours.  Some are as long as 16 hours if the surgeon finds complications.  Some are over in 4 or 5 hours.  It's a 'ballpark' estimate, not a definite statement, as you probably realize.  Early on, your husband will be under the influence of the anesthesia and won't know a thing until he wakes up - wearing a large head bandage and, very likely, quite thirsty.  He will have felt no pain during the procedure...no one does.  If there is any pain, it comes post-op.

I wish Don the very best outcome from the surgery and urge you and the family to be there for him, as you have been, and to stay strong and positive during the healing/recuperation process.  My prayers are with you all.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2007, 02:20:09 pm »
Hi Rob,

I look forward to hearing from you as soon as you are up to it.  You have many people wishing you and your wife well with a speedy recovery. 

I am 2 years post surgery and doing fine, even teaching a yoga class at the local gym and privately.  You mentioned earlier BT (before tumor) you are transitioning from Army to civilian life.  Hope your transition is a smooth one.  I/we have a son-in-law stationed overseas, Army SF Halo. 

PATIENCE is key to recovery.  I remember there were days I felt the pain and healing were finally behind me only to wake up the next day to find I took three steps backward.  This is normal.  We all heal differently and as for how long, again, we all heal differently.  This forum will serve you and your wife during the process of healing with honesty, support and venting.  Don't be shy.
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Rob7

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2007, 02:47:24 pm »
THANK YOU...i am still waiting...going into almost the 7th hour of waiting...uugh!!
I appreciate all the advice and kind words...I am sure we are in for a long haul to recovery...
we do retire from the army this summer.  My MIL is here for a couple of weeks and I am sure our four kids will help us out as well.  We have not been told how long it will be before he can drive again..does it depend on his balance or how much pain meds he continues to take?
take care and hopefully when I respond next it will be to tell you that it is over..
sheree
Don
2.5 cm
shunt surgery 3/19/07
recovering.......

Rob7

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2007, 08:49:22 pm »
the short of it...part way through the surgery his blood pressure spiked to over 250 over something and his brain swelled they  had to stop what they were doing and control the situation.. they did a cat scan and nothing looked bad..they are slowly taking out of anethesia sp? he was brought out of it before we saw him and he was able to wiggle his toes by command. he has had his blood pressure spike over 250 again since out of surgery. The surgeon is AT A LOSS he said has NEVER experienced this and has been wonderful even though he doesnt have a clue...for you prayer warriors PRAY...... I will let you know things as I KNOW THINGS...thank you
they did say they got 3/4 of the tumor as far as they know with out doing a MRI and that will be done with in the next few days..
sheree
Don
2.5 cm
shunt surgery 3/19/07
recovering.......

Obita

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2007, 09:33:10 pm »
Prayers are comming Sheree - try and get some rest.

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2007, 09:53:25 pm »
Hi Sheree: hang in there.  I am praying for you and Rob- I think the caretakers have it tougher than the patients some days! Take care of yourself as Rob is being taken care of by the doctors and nurses.  God bless - Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2007, 07:35:45 am »
Sheree

Thank you SO much for the update. One heck of a day you all had yesterday.  I hope you got some rest and when you see Don, please tell him we are cheering him on... and sending huggles... and please keep some of those huggles for you as well.  We need you strong for Don... and sending wishes for a very speedy recovery for Don.

Hang in there!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2007, 08:06:30 am »
Sheree,

WOW!  This must surely be the most difficult part of AN surgery--the caregivers waiting for their loved ones to be wheeled out of surgery.  I was on Rob's end, and now see what it must have been like for my family waiting.  My surgery did not have the "moment" like Rob's, and I pray he sails through this with ease.  Sheree, I like so many send you prayers of peace and comfort during a very difficult time.  It must very hard for you, but know "this" extended family hold you near to our hearts.  Rob is well taken care of and fortunate to have many watch over him, know the same is extended to you.
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

michellesfriend

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2007, 03:21:03 pm »
any new updates???