Author Topic: AN Newbie  (Read 45271 times)

OTO

Re: AN Newbie
« Reply #135 on: April 19, 2007, 07:02:29 pm »
Rob7
I've been following the thread.   I'm amazed at the spirit and toughness of you, your wife and family.  I pray for your recovery...  Huuah...

Jeanlea

« Reply #136 on: April 20, 2007, 06:24:07 pm »
Hi Don,

So happy to see that you are doing well enough to be back on the computer.  The road to recovery is long, but you will make progress.  It's not unusual to feel very emotional after going through all of this.  I found myself getting sad all of sudden in the beginning.  Those times are few are far between now.  I'm 19 months post-surgery.  You are lucky to have such a supportive wife.  That also helps the recovery.  Looking forward to following your continued progress. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Rob7

« Reply #137 on: April 20, 2007, 08:36:18 pm »
   Hey, all!
Thanks for the comments, and it's good to hear from everyone again.  Things are going Ok here.  I am finally getting used to the slower life.  I got up this AM and laid in my hammock in the back yard for a few hours and, get this......FINISHED A BOOK!  I have not had any time at all to read over the past few years, but happened to pick up a book Sheree set on my dresser and read it all the way through.  For me to finish a book in two days is unbelievable.  Glad I can finally relax and enjoy some things in life.
   Sheree called the surgeon's office AGAIN about all my nausea and vomiting issues.  They finally got tired of her persistence and gave me an appt next Tuesday.  Hopefully it will be worth the drive and they can figure out this coughing/vomiting, ETC......
    Anyhow, that is all from here.  Hope you all have a wonderful weekend wherever you happen to be!

Regards,
       Don
Don
2.5 cm
surgery 3/8/07 to remove 75%
shunt surgery 3/19/07
recovering.......

linnilue

« Reply #138 on: April 20, 2007, 08:56:42 pm »
Hi Don,  Wow, to read a book is a very big deal!  I remember it myself.  I felt like my world was finally getting back to normal.  Until my rdiosurgery I used to read at least 2 books a week but then I went a whole year without reading.  I was too tired, couldn't concentrate and felt dizzy when I attempted it.  It's great that you can use the computer because that was also a problem for me, so good for you.  This being said I still suffer from nausea and I am 2 1/2 years post surg.  I use my armbands, drink liquids, anything with calories (slimfast is fine, it has calories and is a meal replacement and it tastes good...at least it gives me some calories.)  Staying hydrated is extremely important because it helps to keep the body in balance and dehydration will make you nauseous.  I know you want to look to your life one year from now, but trust me, this is a journey.  It took me a very long time to realize that I was never going to be the same "me" again and once I got real about that and accepted my situation, i actually started feeling better.  Instead of fighting the lethargy, I lay down and rest and instead of always saying "yes" to everyone and evrything, I now give myself the gift of saying "no."  And I can tell you that my life has turned around in just four months.  I feel like a new woman.  I still have many limitations but I deal with them in an "as needed" basis.  When I can no longer shop, I go home, when I don't feel like cooking, we get take-out adnd wehn my kids aske me to do something I tell them I will but always with the caveat that bcause of my physical limitations, I may have to say no at the last minute.  And lastly, don't feel guilty.  This is the new you. 
Left AN dx. 11/05 Linac radiosurgery 01/06 Burlington, VT for a 9mm x 5mm tumor.  No necrosis yet (2 yrs. post-op).  Multiple post radiosurgery complications, some permanent.  Have radio-oncologist here.  Now see Dr. McKenna, Mass. Eye & Ear Instit., Boston for flollow-up care as my main An doctor.

Stevey

« Reply #139 on: April 20, 2007, 09:52:05 pm »
Don,

The sky is blue because of the Raman shift of nitrogen molecules (symmetric stretching of N2 by infrared heat) in the atmosphere.   Glad to see you back!  Your stry has been an inspiration to our family.  Hang in there, it only gets better.

God Bless you and Sheree,

Steve
2 cm Left Acoustic Neuroma Remved on 1/31/07
Via Retro Sigmoid resection at Hospital of U of Penn - complete removal by Drs. Judy and Bigelow.
Deaf in Left ear.  Looking at TransEar for dealing with SSD

kss4luck

• 2.1 cm removed translab 5/4/07 Dr Jung/Clark RCH
« Reply #140 on: April 20, 2007, 11:18:02 pm »
Wow Don,
glad you're back Sheree is some woman. bless you both. Your typing skills seem pretty good for a guy just 5 weeks post op. did you type all that yourself. pretty clear mind too, more than I was expecting I will feel so soon after. people keep sending me books to read during my recovery. I thought I problably wouldnt be able to read glad to know I just may be able to do it. keep up the good work. I'm thinking I may need to buy a hammock.  God bless you both and continued success in your recuperation.   

flier58

« Reply #141 on: April 21, 2007, 05:37:33 am »
Hi Don and Sheree,
God to see that Don is doing better. I'm sure it's only the beginning of the full recovery.
Flier58

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #142 on: April 21, 2007, 06:54:32 am »
So Don, my question is:  HOW DO YOU LAY IN A HAMMOCK WITHOUT GETTING DIZZY ?????    I love hammocks, but just the thought of one now makes me dizzy !!!
             Glad you're taking in eas(ier);   one of the jokes my friend had was when I bought 2 books to take to the hopsital, thought it wouldn't be enough & got another one,   for a long time he kept saying, " So Nance, have you finished the books yet, do you need more ?"   I didn't realize what a time I'd have immediately post op let alone the months following !!!   Glad you're doing better, hope the nausea/vomiting subside soon.   You & Sheree have a wonderful weekend too.   I'm finally going to start exercising again, I'm feeling the burn.
Always good thoughts,  keep a peaceful heart my friend,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #143 on: April 24, 2007, 04:57:41 pm »
Don and Sheree,
Boy have you two had a time of it!  I've been off-line due to a nasty bout of pneumonia which I picked up in Florida of all places--totally messed up my month long vacation--so I'm catching up on all the threads I can. This thread is almost as long as the Good Morning thread!

Don, I am so glad you are making progress despite your complications. Just remember to take those baby steps one day at a time.

As far as the balance issue goes, I found that the best therapy is walking. It's Springtime now and if you can get outdoors and enjoy the weather, it really is a mood-lifter. My favorite balance re-trainer is walking while doing head turns--it's called the "Bobble-head Strut" and if you are walking by yourself in a park or at the gym, folks think you are totally nutty or a tourist, but believe me it really works.

Concentrate on finding an object at about 45 degrees off to port and starboard and target it--that is make sure to re-focus on a tree or building, or if you are at the gym, a piece of equipment while on the treadmill. The treadmill is a great piece of PT equipment and a great investment if you have the $$ and the space. Plus it gives you something to hold on to while yer a'struttin'. I've found setting the incline a bit is really challenging.

What we have after AN surgery is a broken gyroscope--the mechanism of the semicircular canals of the inner ear send signals to the brain to let us know where "down" is.  When this signal is interrupted i.e. balance nerve severed, gravity is no longer our friend. It's amazing how the brain can be forced into faking it!  It really does take work, however.  After spending the past 2 months basically in bed, my balance is terrible right now--it truely is a matter of "use it or lose it."

Anyhow that's my shpiel.  It's really great to have you aboard this forum--it keeps it green for the rest of us and lets us know that we can make progress post-op and have a life after AN. Keep us posted.

Be Well,

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #144 on: April 25, 2007, 01:00:11 am »
Hello Don,

It is wonderful to see you back on.  Some of those talking books are good when you don't feel like reading or can't.  I'm sure you are covering everything and Sheree has been so good.  (for you and us, posting)

I'm not the same person I was before my AN but, I'm trying to look at the positive side of how it makes me view life.  Going through the bad part that you are experiencing just to get to that point really gives a new perspective.  No words can express what you went through and are now.  We are here for you.

I admire you and I'm glad so many people could answer questions for Sheree.  I only had CK but, have my limitations with this AN situation.  I'm out five months now and my AN touches the 8th C. nerve.  We understand as, we are all in this together.

Give Sheree hugs from all of us.

Take the best of care ever................Palace
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 11:55:37 pm by Palace »
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Rob7

« Reply #145 on: April 25, 2007, 07:23:11 am »
   Hey, all!
A few comments:  Stevey, WOW!  I cannot quite comprehend everything you said, but I am sure my 8 yr old can as he LOVES space....anyhow, thanks!  Nancy, I don't get dizzy as I make SURE I am stationary.  Even a slight gust of wind makes me put a foot down for while and re-focus.  Deb, AWWW! Here is a hug for you! I am so sorry to hear about your pneumonia!  I wish it had not ruined your vacation!  Glad to hear you are getting better.  Flier, thanks for the comments and encouragement...I need it.  If I missed anyone I am sorry.
   Well, I went back to see the doc yesterday and he adjusted my shunt to drain LESS fluid off the brain and increase the cerebral pressure.  He also gave me some antibiotics that should help my stomach pain.  I was not overly optimistic, but seem to have improved 100% from the previous day.  By the time we got home yesterday I was feeling much stronger and was not nearly as dizzy as I was before.  Nearly 24 hours later I am feeling better than I have in weeks.  I need to be cautious now not to overdo it today and jack myself up all over again.
   Well, that is about all for now.  A few things I have learned from all this:  I could not have done this alone....thanks to Sheree and all of you.  A pair of earplugs lasts twice as long as they used to.  Make sure the sink is empty in case I forget to shut the water off...AGAIN.  Always check my zipper after coming out of the bathroom (don't ask!).
   I hope everyone has a great day.  Thanks again for all your advice and encouragement.

Don
Don
2.5 cm
surgery 3/8/07 to remove 75%
shunt surgery 3/19/07
recovering.......

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #146 on: April 25, 2007, 07:45:03 am »
Hmmmm....thinking hard.  This post is 11 pages, maybe 12 when I get done, but wondering what the page count in responses to one subject is?  I know the longest story in existence comes from AN Community, I believe it's "Goooooood Morning Vietnam"....no that's from the movie, but a Good Morning I'm sure.  Maybe AN Newbie is a first and if so, congratulations Don?  Not that you want to be patted on the back for any of this, but glad to read you are feeling much better after recent doctor visit. 

I'm sure Phyl will chime in here.   ;D
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #147 on: April 25, 2007, 08:11:35 am »
I chimed in... Good Morning thread in AN Community is now up to 123 pgs...  :o

Don, you rawk!!!!!  I'm so thrilled you are hanging in there and onward and upward to a speedy recovery! Huggles to you and Sheree!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #148 on: April 25, 2007, 10:50:05 am »
Hey Don:  SOUNDING & DOING BETTER & BETTER.   Way to go my friend.   Glad you know to TAKE IT EASY, no marathons yet, okay?     Big hug to Sheree.    All the best my friend, Nancy
ps:  still can't figure out how you stay 'stationary' in a hammock, is it a military secret ? lol
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #149 on: April 25, 2007, 02:52:37 pm »
Hey, Don:

Its great to see you posting.  It seems that your recovery is progressing nicely (finally) and I'm so pleased to learn that.  You've been through a lot and so has your super-supportive wife, Sheree.  I have a wife like that, whom I cherish. She almost single-handedly helped me through the surgery and the initial recuperation period.  I can't imagine doing that alone, although some have, and actually done well.  God bless them all.

You seem to have a handle on your condition and don't need to be told not to overdo it..so I won't.   ;)

I join the many other AN patients on this board that want to encourage, support and pray for both you and Sheree.

I think you'll be fine.  Remember, Time Heals.  It really does.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.