Author Topic: AN Newbie  (Read 45269 times)

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: AN Newbie
« Reply #120 on: April 12, 2007, 04:52:38 am »
Goodmorning Sheree, it's Nancy, (the 'other woman' !!  lol):  Well, geuss we'll give the PT people the benefit of the doubt, huh?
                               Maybe, when you call the doc re: Dilantin (goinbatty is right, he should be getting blood levels ), ask about
                               the vomiiting (maybe the doc can call in a prescription for a suppository - I've had to use it once & worked great).
                               I've also thought, 'I would not have done this, I should have had radiation', but realized you can't second geuss - My doc
                               is very experienced in AN surg., they don't know how badly the nerve's damaged, etc.   I think Bruce & Jim Scott helped me
                               realize these things.
                                Oh, please tell the big guy real men do wear pink, do cry, & do let their wives take over when they need rest. - even war veterans.
                                 Give him a big hug from all of us for serving his country & keeping us safe !!!!!
                                You guys have certainly been through it these past few years - this is another 'bump' in the road.   As they say what doesn't kill us
                                makes us stronger (boy, I've been stating alot of sayings lately, they just keep popping up in my head - well, better that than
                                another AN, right ?)
Take care guys,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #121 on: April 12, 2007, 08:16:40 am »
Sheesh!  You both have been through much this past year.  Can't imagine what Don went through in Iraq, but have heard stories from our son-in-law as he was there same year.  Glad that's over, but now he's deployed elswhere.  You have handled much by yourself Sheree and you are an example for those around you.  Gives me an insight to what my daughter has handled and will be doing by herself as they are expecting their first child in August.  Don definately has a rough road now and I would like to share with him anti-nausea technique used on my while in ICU.  I had a bout of throwing up then dry-heaving.  To stop this the nurse put an alcohol soaked cloth under my nose.  It immediately stopped me from expelling my guts and brains.  I have since used this technique and find it works for me.  Hope it does the same for Don.  Don, you must NEVER say "never" as another choice of treatment does not guarrantee an easier outcome.  Best to say, "Today I am standing."  (not very well yet, but standing!) and take it from there. PT will definately help and remember first time doing exercises is always the hardest, the second try will be better so don't let your mind tell you "don't do this as it's going to  make you feel awful."  it's just your mind fooling you, second time is not awful, but better.  Don, please try to see and accept "the new you" as resistance will only drag your symptoms on and your symptoms will be more prominent.  Be happy you are standing today! 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Rob7

« Reply #122 on: April 13, 2007, 05:24:20 am »
good morning all
went to teh ER last night..
he was throwing up way too much yesterday afternoon for my liking and he was scared.
he started to walk VERY wobbly and kept saying I dont feel right.
So after calling and talking to two different docs in Birmingham they agreed that he needs to be seen to just rule out shunt failure, dilantin being too high in his system or just that he is throwing up as a result of some side effect or the tumor receeding.. well all tests showed everything fine and they have him sone pepcid (oh yeah his stomach was killing him too) and zofort and after an hour he said he had not felt that great in a long time  So a follow up call will be made to both docs today and he is feeling ok this am just a head ache...dduhh!!
he is going to go to an interview thing on post this am that has been scheduled for some time now...extra prayers for him to feel NORMAL and do his best to present himself..it is not an offical interview it is just to get his resume to the business he is hoping to work for..
ok enough for now..
gotta love those ER visit until late in the night..did do a number on our 13 year old...he was a nervous wreck..  Now glad that daddy was 3 hours away after surgery or for surgery for that matter...he would have been a mess the whole time.  God works in mysterious ways..
take care
sheree
thanks for the tricks for the throwing up we will try it
Don
2.5 cm
surgery 3/8/07 to remove 75%
shunt surgery 3/19/07
recovering.......

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #123 on: April 13, 2007, 05:57:13 am »
Hi Sheree:  So glad Don went with his gut feeling & you guys had the docs give the ole once over.   Better safe than sorry I always say (there I go again with the sayings!).
Putting out good thoughts to Don this morning (Friday the 13th was always a lucky day for me !)
Best wishes, Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Ellenmn

« Reply #124 on: April 13, 2007, 10:22:20 am »
I'll pray that everything goes well.

flier58

« Reply #125 on: April 13, 2007, 12:08:43 pm »
Good thoughts with Don and You,
Flier58

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #126 on: April 14, 2007, 04:56:01 am »
Goodmorning Sheree & Don:  Hoping the 'physical' post op symptoms are continuing to calm down for you Don.  As for having a job interview, WHEW !!   I couldn't imagine going through that at this point in your recovery, hats off to you (regardless of the outcome !!   but hoping all went well).   I'm sure you'll be resting well today after that - mental strain is just as taxing as the physical, & you've had your share of both.
Well, hope you guys have a 'peaceful'  & enjoyable weekend.   Remember to take it easy, you deserve it.
Good thoughts always,  Nancy

retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Rob7

« Reply #127 on: April 15, 2007, 08:21:08 pm »
hello all
well don did a little of research on the meds the ER gave him to take and low and behold the med for not feeling sick does not mix well with the dilantin...hmmm so is one knocking out the other...a call to the neuro surgeon is in order.  As well as to see if they got his reports sent to them friday late in the day for second opinion review...
they didnt seem in too much of a hurry to see those tests.  Don is a bit upset with the non chalant way the surgeons have taken him on now...as though they did their part and actually went above and beyond and saved his life and now is just deal with it man...attitude.
Don was feeling really off today..tired but he is convinced napping is DOING HIM IN.. he has asked me to ask if you all feel the same way.....
DOES NAPPING MAKE YOU FEEL MORE TIRED and run down?  I think that napping is the way the body can heal...he feels that after he naps that he is feeling worse and more run down... he thinks if he stays awake all day then he will sleep better at night and not feel so bad all day...well today was not a good example of that..he was feeling sick to his stomach most of the day.  he doesn enjoy eating food at all anymore..between choking and not tasting it like he use to...should be losing weight more rapidly than he is..  I did buy some yogurt smoothies for him to eat immediatly of awakening so he doesnt get sooo hungry that he eats too fast and the wrong thing to end up choking on..  the interview went well...He is one SMART guy and really someone they could use so we are looking for the next step of them calling him in for a more formal interview and he will be more down the road to recovery.  He is what ummm 5.5 weeks out from the initial surgery...WOW seems like he is not that far out...I guess all the things that went wrong slowed things down a bit more...
ok one more thing...he has another question...
WHAT TYPE OF PHYSICAL THERAPY DO YOU HAVE FOR HIM TO WORK ON AT HOME FOR BALANCE?? He is very frustrated with the physical therapist in Dothan (you  know the thirty min drive away) and said that he will not be travelling that far to see them especially if they dont call to set things up wtih him...uugh  so I suggested to at least pick your brains of those that did do some excercises at home to have some things to work on his own... thank you for your help for him
He got out and helped in the yard yesterday when I was planting his garden (he couldnt just watch and order me around) so he was really tired this am had a hard time getting out of bed... baby steps is hard for a man to do...or at least my man... lol
got the garden planted and we went into a wicked storm and tornado watch that the thing almost flooded only had one plant out of the whole bunch that floated up and had to be re planted... wahooo.
he will have a great project once that begins to grow...
take care until next time
sheree
Don
2.5 cm
shunt surgery 3/19/07
recovering.......

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #128 on: April 16, 2007, 04:43:06 am »
Goodmorning Sheree & Don:   You're right with the yogurt - I find soft foods the best (I miss tasting food too - except I can taste veggies & fruit - not my favorites but I geuss the universe knew it was time to stop all the chocoloate, steaks, etc !!).   I eat a banana in the morning, soups are nice, ice cream (though I don't taste it so much, sherbets..).   Okay, for exercises:     Stand with feet apart,  close your eyes, & slowly turn your head from side to side, do this several times, then do it with head slowly moving up & down, as you get better bring your feet closer together a little at a time).  Make sure you have something to hold on to quickly in case you lose your balance !  My balance therapists felt this was one of the important ones to do since I wasn't real compliant !!   After he gets real good at this, do it with the feet together,  one foot slightly ahead of the other, then switching feet so the opposite foot is ahead of the other with feet together.
I would expect Don you're going to feel tired & worn out for awhile,  just accept it boss, that's an order !    Your body NEEDS THE RESTS !!! - IT DOES A BODY GOOD !!
I always felt a little beat after a nap, but better for having taken one.   You may be 5 1/2 weeks post surgery, but you're only what, 2-3 weeks at home ??    Not that long a time by 'brain surgery' standards !!
Gotta go!  good luck , oh, great news on the interview !     Nancy
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 04:45:17 am by nancyann »
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Omaschwannoma

« Reply #129 on: April 16, 2007, 06:57:16 am »
Hi and glad the interview was positive.  I saved all my sheets of exercises I received each week when I went for physical therapy.  I would be happy to copy them and send to you.  The exercise Nancyann mentioned is one of many I was given to perform, everyday mind you, and also at night without lights.  A little depressing as I wanted to be able to get back to doing the things I did before surgery and performing these mindless exercises kept reminding me of what I went through.  If not for those exercises and my dilligence I would not be doing what I did before surgery.  I now teach yoga classes and yes, naps do help.  Sometimes just closing my eyes for 5-10 minutes even helped (blocked the stimulation overload) allowing my brain a rest when I knew I couldn't nap.  Doing this with earplug in made it more restfull as noise is another stimulation overload for my brain.

Lainie181818

« Reply #130 on: April 16, 2007, 03:31:03 pm »
hI Sherree
I could not get through the day without a daily nap for about 5 or 6 months. There really isn't anything the surgeons can do post op. I was also very frustrated when I had my stitches removed and the Dr said " see you in about 2 months" I think the longer you fight the recovery symptoms, the longer the symptoms last. You really have to listen to your body. As far as the Vestibular exercises go, I have a 2"x4" 8ft long wooden beam in my living room that I walk up backwards and forwards, you can make it harder by crossing your arms across your chest and also by finding a focal point and slowly moving your head up and down not taking your eyes off the focal point as you walk. [ This is a little hard at first ]  Also take a marker and write a large letter on a post it. Hold the post it and move it up and down, following it with your eyes,  do the same thing side to side. Take that same post it and stick it on a wall or door at eye level. Keeping your eyes on the letter move your head up and down  and side to side, about 25 repetitions for each. Hold your thumb at eye level in front of your face about 12" in front for your face. Slowly move thumb towards eyes about 6" in, you
will feel your eyes cross. Slowly pull the thumb away from you. The thumb must stay in focus the whole time. I also put music on and dance, I probably look ridiculous but what the heck. Remember vestibular ex make you feel very dizzy, I usually do them every other day.
Hope some of this helps
Lainie.

Rob7

« Reply #131 on: April 19, 2007, 07:32:07 am »
   Hey, all, Don here.
Before I start my rambling I wanted to personally thank each and every one of you for your kind words, advice, thoughts and prayers.  You have all been such an inspiration to me and have helped Sheree more than you will ever know.  I am so thankful to have found this site and been able to have such wonderful people in my life.
    I know Sheree has been updating everyone, so I will not re-hash all my ailments. Things are so-so for me right now.....just cannot seem to get over that hump.  I have some good days and some bad, but overall I do know I am improving.  Just wish I could fast-forward and see myself a year from now.  I am slowly coming to grips with the fact I may not ever be the "same" Don I used to be.  I am not nearly as quick (cognitively speaking) as I used to be and find it difficult to deal with my inability to express myself the way I used to.  I am hoping and praying that comes back one day, but understand at the same time that God may have some other kind of job or lifestyle planned for me.
    A few questions for you further along on this journey:  anyone have a "tink" sound in their AN ear now, and does it fade with time?  Will I ever stop being so emotional?  Why is the sky blue? (just kidding!)
   Anyhow, I am done for now.  Hope everyone has a great day, and again, thanks for all your help!

Don   
Don
2.5 cm
shunt surgery 3/19/07
recovering.......

Derek

« Reply #132 on: April 19, 2007, 07:38:25 am »
Hi there Don...

Great to have you back on the computer...progress indeed! They may have removed your AN but thankfully they left your sense of humour intact!

Best regards to yourself and Sheree for an ultimate full recovery.

Derek
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

Omaschwannoma

« Reply #133 on: April 19, 2007, 08:00:20 am »
Don,

WOW!  Excuse me, I just fell off my chair.  Let me pick myself up off the floor!  I am so glad to see YOU responding (no offense Sheree  ;) it was comforting hearing from you in the beginning, but now it's great you are back Don.  The fact you are on the computer using your eyes, fingers and brain to type, look and think is in itself forward progress in a very big way.  I do understand the impatience to get back to where you were BT (before tumor), but glad you are at least considering allowing yourself to accept the new you.  You know, I used to be afraid to resolve myself to think I will never be the same as if thinking this would actually make it so, but by doing just that I began to relax.  When I became comfortable with the new me, it was then that I came up with better ways to refine my balance, better ways to live with SSD, and now funnier ways to laugh at my imperfections.  To think I was a balanced perfectionist BT was delusional thinking on my part.  I have always been dizzy, now more people see it than ever before!  Enjoy the "new" you now as this too will pass as time heals all wounds.  Remember, you might have days like I did, one step forward, two back then plateu.  I am now in forward motion and you will be there too!  Thanks again for your service to all of us, I bow to your spirit.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #134 on: April 19, 2007, 03:20:37 pm »
Well , HELLLLLLOOOOOOO   DON!!!!    Glad you're back with us.   No one is expecting you to get over the 'hump' yet, just you !!    Remember, it hasn't been that long ago that you had surgery.   I'm ten months out (today as a matter of fact), much better than I was at the time out you are,  & I know I still have a ways to go, but I'm getting there, slowly but surely (What's that word again ?, oh yeah,  PATIENCE my friend,  patience).  You'll see so much more that life has to offer with patience on your side, you won't consider it a hindrance but a blessing.
Well,  my friend,  give Sheree a hug (you've got one special woman there), &  keep a peaceful heart (the journey is far from over),   Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis