Author Topic: 1st follow up MRI - today... what is next?  (Read 5124 times)

Laura

1st follow up MRI - today... what is next?
« on: February 19, 2007, 05:54:46 am »
Good morning everyone! My MRI is scheduled for this morning at 8AM but I'm totally clueless as to my next step. Shall I got back to the ENT that discovered my AN but knows nothing about them? Shall I go back to my PCP who has never had a AN patient before and got his first real lesson from me? Shall I schedule an appointment with the ENT he referred me to before that is three hours away and next to impossible to get an appointment with? I'm so confused; as if the stress from the MRI isn't enough. What is the point in having this MRI if there isn't anyone around me that is capable of reading it and telling me what I need to do.

Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest this morning. Thanks for listening as always!

Laura
Diagnosed August 17, 2006
AN on right side 1cm x 7mm x 7mm
30% hearing loss with no other symptoms
Watching and Waiting
http://www.patient-network.com/lparr
It's mind over "matter"... even if the "matter" is in my mind

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
Re: 1st follow up MRI - today... what is next?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 07:53:40 am »
Personally, I'd get a copy of the MRI (films AND report) and send it to the ENT that knows what he's looking at.  You can get a report back over the phone from his nurse about whether or not more follow-up is needed.  Though you may also need to send copies of your first MRI (if he doesn't already have them) so he knows what he's comparing to.

HTH!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Sheryl

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 08:42:02 am »
Hi Laura - As the posts above, definitely ask for a copy of the MRI and the written report (they usually give that to you anyway).  More importantly, who ordered the MRI for you?  That's the doctor that I would followup with.  Did they call the order in or did you have a slip with the order on it when you went for the MRI?  Personally, if you've seen a neurologist, that's the doc I would go back to as they have the know how to do all the neurologic tests.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Another "Wait and Watcher",
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 10:41:35 am »
Laura,

I would also suggest getting a copy of the MRI for you...I have all of mine on CD-ROM.   

Have you thought of trying to get an appointment with a Otolaryngologist?  They would be able to accurately interpret the MRI and tell you what is the next step.  If you can’t get an appointment with the doctor that is far away…maybe sending a copy of the MRI CD-ROM or a hard copy of the MRI films would be an alternate route.

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

Shrnwldr

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 11:15:53 am »
Hi Laura,
I would even suggest you send the film to the House Ear Clinic in Los Angeles.  They will call you back almost immediately to discuss your film and options.

Good luck
Sharon
2cm x1cm, right side
Surgery: Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jerald V. Robinson, Dr. William Hitselberger, Dr. Michael Stefan.
Hopsital: St Vincent's Hospital, Los Angeles, CA
Date of Surgery: May 18, 2007

Laura

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 03:40:35 pm »
Thank you all for your advice! It has been a month or two since my last posts due to a job change. I don't have the access that I use to have and I didn't disclose my "issue" so I don't want to get busted on this site at work.

The MRI went fine this morning. It was over a whole lot faster than I remember it being last time. I did walk away with a CD of the scans and to my untrained eye it looks as if we have increased a little but I still don't think it will be anything to be alarmed about. I will wait for the actual report which they said they would send to my PCP and I could contact them for a copy. I believe I will follow up with my first MRI and get those on CD as well (they gave me films). Sending the films to my ENT (three hours away) or out to House is a wonderful idea!

Thanks again for all the wonderful advice!

Laura
Diagnosed August 17, 2006
AN on right side 1cm x 7mm x 7mm
30% hearing loss with no other symptoms
Watching and Waiting
http://www.patient-network.com/lparr
It's mind over "matter"... even if the "matter" is in my mind