Author Topic: Spinning in NYC  (Read 7091 times)

Ronnie

Re: Spinning in NYC
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 05:39:28 am »
Perhaps there is some connection between the meds and heightened symptoms.  The first week into the illness I was on antibiotics which caused terrible insomnia, I actually did not sleep for 5 days.  My symptoms seem to come out suddenly at the end of that first week.  I wish you a speedy recovery and I thank you for your help.

jtd71465

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2007, 08:04:36 am »
Ronnie-

I consulted with four teams, you have already Selesnick and are going to see (in my opinion) the best in Dr Roland.  I also sent my MRI to House and Brackmann called me three times to discuss.  The fourth was a gentleman in NJ...he didn't do the kind of numbers to make me feel comfortable....enjoy your visit with Roland on the 13th.  If you have any questions feel free to contact me via my email address.

Joe-
Right side AN removed 1/10/07 @ NYU Medical Center
Dr's Roland and Golfinos

nannettesea

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2007, 08:04:42 pm »
Ronnie,
If you can hang in there, try the exercises.  Your body may need to recover from the illness--any weakness can cause symptoms to worsen.  The body will adjust over time.  Your tumor is small, so watch and wait probably a good idea.

Nan
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05

lthompson

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2007, 08:36:30 am »
Hi Ronnie, just following up, did you have your appointment with Dr. Roland at NYU?  Since he is my doctor, just wanted to know your thoughts and if you made a decision on treatment yet.  I am still wait and watch and will have my next MRI in October, unless something changes between then.  Let me know when you get a chance.  Thanks.

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2007, 11:35:16 am »
I had surgery to remove my tumor and I was told by my surgeon the reason they remove my vestibular nerve along with my tumor so the brain dosen't send mixed signals.  The tumor growing out of the left nerve is being compromised and sending the brain mixed signals to the right side nerve causing you difficulty in balance.  With my left vest. nerve gone my brain is able to send a "clear" signal to the right side.  After surgery I had extensive vistibular rehab and performed daily exercises in between my visits to the therapist.  This helped tremendously with getting my balance back.  Although, I am not 100% back due to a recent diagnosis of nystagmus.  I got to a point in my healing and seemed to stop.  Doctor put me through testing due to my symptoms (my field of vision bounced when I walked and turned my head) and I was dx with nystagmus.  Fancy word for my eyes don't follow my head movements.  All is well though and I continue daily walks of 1.5 miles with my dog, Blu and teach yoga classes.  Yoga is good training for ANers who suffer with balance issues.  I was 9 years practicing yoga pre-surgery and my balance didn't improve, but worsened.  I don't think vestibular therapy will help much at this time as seems to me the tumor is compromising your vestibular nerve. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Ronnie

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2007, 08:06:55 pm »
I have been going for vestibular therapy for the past month and I believe it has helped, although the doctors had told me that in time the dizziness would lessen anyway.