Author Topic: Anyone have skin sensitivity all over one's body, post-op?  (Read 2943 times)

timtim

Hello all

I would like to ask: Has anyone had any changes to the sensitivity of their skin over their body, post surgery?

I am 9 months post posterior fossa surgery for a right side 4.5 cm AN. Since surgery I have found that the LEFT side of my body (especially my waist down to my legs) is less sensitive to temperature, but it is ultra-sensitive to touch. So for example when I step into a hot bath, my right foot feels the hot water but my left foot feels cold. And if something brushes by my left bare leg, it's almost painful.

I don't have these problems on the right side of my body, it just occurs on the left.

My surgeon said that in over 300 AN operations, he's never heard of this!

So is it just me? :)

thanks

Tim
AN 45.0 mm diagnosed May2006
VP shunt July2006
posterior fossa surgery on August2006
FSR scheduled for July2007
Eye weight sometime 2007

Windsong

Re: Anyone have skin sensitivity all over one's body, post-op?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 10:22:06 am »
Tim, was any procedure done to your abdomen (i'm thinking harvesting fat) for closing the hole for the An surgery? Or  have you had any IV's or procedure on that leg? There is a neurological condition that I know of that can cause extreme sensitivity to the skin... clothing, the wind, touching it lightly etc can cause pain even as it is numb which could explain the inability to feel the water temperature....do you have any other symptoms in that leg? colour changes, redness, blue or purple? any swelling? anything else?

my treatment was fsr radiation and i had scalp sensitivity for a few months after and couldn't tell the temp of the water when i washed my hair, had to use baby soap and be very gentle....hair blwoing across my face can now sting a bit...and strangely i have slight pain on touch on my back near the shoulder same side as An...
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 10:45:10 am by Windsong »

jerseygirl

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 10:31:08 am »
Tim,

I had a right side 6x3x3 cm AN removed 19 years ago and had extreme sensitivity on the right side. The left side stayed normal (thank God). The touch on the right side was unpleasant and I had the same reaction to it as autistic kids do: I withdrew. Over the years this has greatly diminished. However, it is not totally gone because I am still ticklish on this side. I decided to get a massage while on vacation a month ago ( first time in my life) and there was quite a difference in perception between my sides. My left side totally enjoyed it while my right one was ticklish. I giggled and arched my back a few times. So, my right side is still autistic for all practical purposes.

The reason you have it reversed, I believe, could be the brainstem issue. The fibers there cross at one point and control the opposite side. So, it is conceivable that either the tumor compressed it and the tissue is returning to normal or the surgeon tapped the area accidentally while removing the tumor. Medical professionals here, correct me if I am wrong. Anyway, time heals and it will get better but unfortunately not right away. Best wishes,

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

timtim

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 05:24:49 am »
Thanks for the replies, it's good to know Some people have had similar experiences.

To answer the question about procedures to my abdomen: I had no fat harvesting, but I did have a VP shunt fitted going to the left side of my belly. This was done two weeks before AN surgery. I did not have any sensitivity problems in this two week period, which leads me to belive that the shunt was not the cause. The senstivity started after the AN surgery.

I have no other symptoms in that leg. So no colour changes, swelling etc.

I identify what you say, Eve,  about being overly ticklish e.g. during massage. The same thing happens to me, especially the lower back.

take care,

Tim
AN 45.0 mm diagnosed May2006
VP shunt July2006
posterior fossa surgery on August2006
FSR scheduled for July2007
Eye weight sometime 2007