Author Topic: Watch and Wait  (Read 7396 times)

tsl

Watch and Wait
« on: February 13, 2007, 01:22:11 pm »
With my recently diagnosed acn that is quite small and in the ear canal and not near my brain stem, I've decided for the option of watching and waiting.

I've had 2 visits with my local ENT.  I did tell him that it was important to me to have the option of radiation treatment or surgery, but since there was no immediate need to take action that I would watch and wait.  When the time does come, I will also be seeking a second opinion from some Boston doctors.  (I live in western Mass.).

This support group has helped me thru my panic/terrified phase.  Although I still have my moments and I have to work hard to not let myself be overwhelmed.

I was just wondering what advice you would have for dealing with adjustments like reduced hearing, the continual ear-blockage sensation, etc.

Thanks.
AN diagnosed Dec 2006
Approx. size 9 x 6  x 4 mm
Proton Beam radiosurgery wtih Dr. Jay Loeffler (radiation oncologist) and Dr. Paul Chapman (neurosurgeon) at Mass. General on Nov.2, 2007

Lorenzo

Re: Watch and Wait
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 01:31:04 pm »
HI there,

Personally, I used to stay away from loud noise and keep the stress to a minimum!  HA! Easy to say... :) Reduced hearing unfortunately there isn't much I can think one can do, other than wait and adjust to it. And adjusting you will most likely!

Maybe others have better and more constructive ideas?

Ciao, Lorenzo

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 01:39:29 pm »
Hi tsl and welcome. I'm just outside of Boston and please know that there are MANY options here locally, from Cyberknife at Beth Israel to Gammaknife at Providence (Dr. Noren) to some of the most wonderful AN surgeons at MGH/MEEI (Dr. Fred Barker). There are many of us here in New England and we also get together for quarterly brunches in Worcester at Maxwell's.  My AN was the exact same size as your's when I was diagnosed. Take your time to read the forums here.... so many wonderful suggestions, inputs, thoughts, debates, etc.  If it becomes too overwhelming, just take a deeeeeeep breath. We'll help you through it.

Hang in there and we're here for you... locally and from afar.

Again, welcome.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 02:56:15 pm »
Hi, tsl!

**bringing out the New England welcome wagon**

It's hard not to get overwhelmed.  I'm already post-treatment, and I still get overwhelmed!  (Though maybe that's just life in general for me...  Hmmm...)

I'm about 30 miles NW of Boston.  When I was first diagnosed I was also a happy watch-and-waiter.  The thought of actually dealing with treatment was too much for me.  Unfortunately, my AN grew much faster than most, and quickly became a problem for my brain stem - darn it!  In any case, if you're interested in a second opinion now I'd suggest seeing Dr. Michael McKenna at Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary.  He's currently following 300-400 ANs cases in watch-and-wait status (in addition to the countless patients he's had for surgery and radiation).  He's not one to push for treatment if you don't need it yet, which is refreshing in the medical community!  LOL!  He's also happy to have you do MRIs locally and send the results to him for monitoring (though you'd probably need to trek into Boston for an initial appt).  If it comes time for treatment, there are many good options in Boston/New England (Phyl seems to be Maintainer-Of-The-NE-Doctor-List) for most types of treatment.

Whatever you decide to do, if you do the research and make informed choices then you'll make the choice that is right for you.  I'm sorry you have to join our community, but I'm glad you found this group. 

Katie 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 02:58:21 pm by krbonner »
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Desilu

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 03:55:54 pm »
Hi tsl,

Good to hear that your AN is small (no pun intended). My AN was 4mmx3mm and I was able to watch and wait for 5 years before it decided to grow. This gave me plenty of time to research and make and educated decision. You have many options since your AN is so small. As time goes by, you will learn so much from this forum and be able to be at peace with your decision. I wish you the best!  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 04:03:22 pm »
Caution: thread hijack in progress!

Bruce:

For Christmas, my wife gave me a set of (expensive) earphones called 'TV Ears'.  They work on a wireless infrared system and allow me to put the TV sound level (on the headphones) exactly where I need it, even while the TV sound is actually much lower.  This solves the problem of my needing the TV at a much higher level than what my family was comfortable with.  Works for me.   :)

We now return to our original thread topic.
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Battyp

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 10:50:02 pm »
Hi Tsl.  If I might ask how is your hearing?  As brucifer mentioned.  warm water does make the ear feel better.  While flying after diagnosis the pressure was unbearable and they gave me a coffee cup with a washcloth in the bottom with warm water in it.  I placed my ear over the cup and let the steam open up my ear.  It was a big relief.

There are quite a few experienced posties up your way to lean on! 

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 10:27:26 am »
*throws shoes with spiked heals :o at Bruce and Jim!*

Tsl, great suggestions noted and many of us locally and afar are willing to write/talk on phone if it helps......... here's hoping you are hanging in there!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

RED in Palacios

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 12:22:36 pm »
Hello TSL,
As another watcher and waiter I was wondering how you have been doing since your original post?  I was first diagnosed in October of 06 and am due my first follow up MRI in two weeks.  I had the tinnnitus (sp?) and the feeling of the blocked ear for about three months but have either blocked it out of conciousness or it has stopped.  By the time I knew what I had, the hearing in my left ear was totally gone so my only experience with the reduced hearing thing is by the factor of half.  It continues to bother me, mostly in my inability to identify sound sources.  I am getting better but still a problem some days.  It absolutely amazes me how we can accomodate to almost anything.  The one area I still struggle with  is what I call the overload factor.  Public places such as major stores and malls just overwhelm me with noise.  We have altered our shopping patterns to acomodate my issue.  Crowded restaurants are also a problem but again, a little common sense scheduling on my part helps.  Hopefully you are also learning to accomodate and adjust.  Please post again so the group will know how you are doing.  Your initial observation about the value of this site and the group of folks so willing to share of themselves was right on.  This remains the best resource I have found.

Richard
Diagnosed 10-16-06.  3.6 mm by 9 mm.  Waiting and watching actively.

Derek

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 12:56:55 pm »
Hi there fellow 'wait and watchers'...

Just had my annual MRI scan following original diagnosis in 2002 and got the good news that there has been no change in the growth rate or consistency over the last 12 months. They put the latest measurement at 1.9cm albeit they had it at 2cm last year so it was a bonus to be classified as being under 2cm!  So all being well here I go for another year as a 'wait and watcher'.

Regards

Derek

Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

Sheryl

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2007, 08:41:42 pm »
Derek - That's great news.  As a fellow "wait and watcher" when I reached the five-year mark this past November, I was told I could go to MRI followup every two years.  As I do not want to wait for two years, my doctor said that I could still do them every year.  Maybe I'll split the difference and push it to a year and a half. 
Take care and keep us informed.
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

kat

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 07:38:10 am »
Hi Derek

Great news ! I am really glad that the " wait and watch "  is working so well for you !

Best reagards Kat
2.2 cm AN diagnosed July 2004 . GK at  the Royal Hallamshire
Sheffield UK in April 2005 2nd MRI in December 06 showed signs of the AN shrinking and MRI in FEB 08 showed no change . SO FAR SO GOOD .

Derek

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2007, 09:06:35 am »
Bruce / Sheryl / Kat...

Many thanks for your good wishes and I do hope that Bruce and Sheryl get the same good news following their next MRI scan results.

Also Kat, I look forward to your continued necrosis following your successful GK treatment at Sheffield. I know that you too have Mr Rowe as your consultant. He is an absolute professional and a true gentleman whose advice on GK and 'wait and watch' aspects I trust implicitly. I would unreservedly recommend him to any of our UK brethren contemplating GK treatment.

I have some pressing personal matters to resolve over the next few months hence my postings on the 'site will be minimal but like 'Arnie'....I'l be back!

Regards

Derek

Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

tsl

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2007, 04:27:06 pm »
Hello TSL,
As another watcher and waiter I was wondering how you have been doing since your original post?  I was first diagnosed in October of 06 and am due my first follow up MRI in two weeks.  I had the tinnnitus (sp?) and the feeling of the blocked ear for about three months but have either blocked it out of conciousness or it has stopped.  By the time I knew what I had, the hearing in my left ear was totally gone so my only experience with the reduced hearing thing is by the factor of half.  It continues to bother me, mostly in my inability to identify sound sources.  I am getting better but still a problem some days.  It absolutely amazes me how we can accomodate to almost anything.  The one area I still struggle with  is what I call the overload factor.  Public places such as major stores and malls just overwhelm me with noise.  We have altered our shopping patterns to acomodate my issue.  Crowded restaurants are also a problem but again, a little common sense scheduling on my part helps.  Hopefully you are also learning to accomodate and adjust.  Please post again so the group will know how you are doing.  Your initial observation about the value of this site and the group of folks so willing to share of themselves was right on.  This remains the best resource I have found.

Richard

Hi Ricahrd,
Thanks for your inquiry.  I'm due for my 2nd MRI at the end of May--just about 6 months since my original MRI in Dec 2006 that found my AN.  My follow-up appt with my ENT is in mid-June.  I'm hoping for "no or little growth". 

When I read your posting, it was as if you could read my mind.  I am learning to accommodate and adjust to the sense of my ear being blocked and the reduced hearing in my left ear. I'm also learning to adjust to the tinnitus that developed after I was diagnosed. I have good "adjusting days" and not good "adjusting days.  I didn't originally have a problem with the overload factor (I like that term).  Now I'm acutely aware of it.  It was especially noticeable when I went to my niece's cheerleading competition!

I"ve learned a lot from this site and am truly grateful to people who have shared their  good and bad experiences, their fears, their research, and their knowledge.

I've made some decisions for myself.  I'm in the fortunate position that I have options in terms of treatment.  My choice of treatment would be radiosurgery (not sure what type yet).  A posting from Derek said it the best for me.  Both microsurgery and radiosurgery "carry an element of risk as to the eventual outcome...I cannot see the need to put my present lifestyle at risk of being temorarily or permanently affected...Everyday without medical intervention is a bonus and as each year passes there is always the positive aspect that advances in the treatment of ANs are continually progressing..."

I hope to be a watcher and waiter for a long time.  I know that I will need to take action if symptoms develop that affect my quality of life and/or before my AN grows to a size that excludes radiosurgery as an option. 

I hope that your first follow up MRI has good results for you.
 -Theresa
AN diagnosed Dec 2006
Approx. size 9 x 6  x 4 mm
Proton Beam radiosurgery wtih Dr. Jay Loeffler (radiation oncologist) and Dr. Paul Chapman (neurosurgeon) at Mass. General on Nov.2, 2007

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 01:04:32 pm »
Thanks Hijack Bruce!  One of my main problems is listening to the TV so I'm gonna try that headset you talked about.  Maybe now my family won't get so mad at me for turning the TV up so loud.  Thanks much for the info!
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs