Author Topic: God and Acoustic Neuromas  (Read 6197 times)

David Wrubel

God and Acoustic Neuromas
« on: June 24, 2005, 08:32:34 pm »
I know that this is a very touchy subject. I respect each person's individual faith and beliefs, and know from my own experience that it helps. But I'd like to make an important point, about which I am very pragmatic. This is it:

God will not remove your tumor. A neurosurgeon will.

All the faith in the world will not make a relatively inexperienced neurosurgeon suddenly an expert in removing your AN. Your outcome is highy unlikely to be affected by prayer alone. The delicacy of this surgery, when done right, is astonishing, so do yourself a huge favor...seek out a surgeon with specific and extensive AN experience, get second and third opinions, travel if you must, but find the best person to perform the surgery for your situation. And if you are so inclined, pray. A lot.

I have been following these boards for over five years, and continue to be amazed that so many people settle for less, believing perhaps that all neurosurgeons are pretty similar. They're not. People from all over the world have emailed me expressing their gratitude that among so many horror stories they've read, experiences like mine gave them hope. And frankly, there are more good stories today than there were when I was faced with this problem...and that's good. God gave you the tools, the curiosity, and boards like this one to help you make an informed decision, and hopefully to share with others your great outcome after it's all over. The rest is up to you.

Again, I mean no disrespect at all. But it's the only brain you've got, and there is no need to settle for less than outstanding treatment.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2005, 07:38:00 pm by David Wrubel »
Regards....DW

5+ cm right side AN removed at House Clinic, Drs. Friedman & Hitselberger 4/13/2000, age 47.  Facial nerve intact. No eye problems, headaches, or balance issues. Drove 6 weeks later. 1st biz trip 8 weeks later. Huge tumor....great outcome.

Joy

Re: God and Acoustic Neuromas
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 05:09:19 am »
When I was undergoing the SURGERY, there were a lot of prayers from many locations asking God and my Lord Jesus to guide both of my neurosurgeons hands and help keep me safe from harm.  He did!
It is God's will on whether we make it or not.  Afterwards, there were prayers of thanks and asking him to give me strength to recover. It has been over two years since my surgery.  I still receive prayers and cards from people who care.
It has been rough, hard to learn and cope.  Each day I have small victories. Yes, I do thank God for letting me live another day!
Smile, God loves you!

russ

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 06:33:57 pm »
  Maybe learn to say, "I feel", when talking about God. To some, religious faith is a very important aspect of their treatment and maybe "they feel" the neurosugeon's hands and recovery are guided by God.
  You statement, David, was oppressive and, "I feel",  you contradicted yourself besides.
  Russ

sonshine

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 06:49:56 pm »
David,

Amen!  I am a christian that knows God loves me, I wonder everyday "why"  but know it is all part of HIS plan.  One day we will know and it will then all make sense.  We just have to have faith and trust that God knows best. 

What you said is true, we need to educate ourselves the best we can.  I had complications and it has been rough.  I had to go through the surgery all over again as I am one to scar very badly.  It has taken me 3 years and a lot of patience, during this time I also lost my precious Mother, she wanted so badly to see me get well.  She died before that happened.

I wish for everyone the best!

God Bless!

David Wrubel

Reply to Russ
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2005, 07:12:11 pm »
To some, religious faith is a very important aspect of their treatment...
 You statement, David, was oppressive and, "I feel", you contradicted yourself besides.
 Russ

Russ:

I began my post with an acknowledgement about others' beliefs, and I repeated it toward the end. Also, I almost did not post it at all, fearing that the message would be lost in the emotional responses that this topic would inevitably generate.

However, I stand by my message, which is that faith alone is nowhere near enough. That's all. If one believes that God gudes the surgeon's hands, as you suggest, that's fine and I respect that faith. But the better and more experienced hands one chooses for God to assist, the better the outcome is likely to be.[/b] I don't think that is an oppressive message at all, as you suggest, I think it is common sense and good advice for anyone facing this surgery.

As far as contradicting myself, I don't see where I might have. So next time, try to be specific please.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2005, 07:13:57 pm by David Wrubel »
Regards....DW

5+ cm right side AN removed at House Clinic, Drs. Friedman & Hitselberger 4/13/2000, age 47.  Facial nerve intact. No eye problems, headaches, or balance issues. Drove 6 weeks later. 1st biz trip 8 weeks later. Huge tumor....great outcome.

David707

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2005, 11:11:08 pm »
Dear Friends,

English is not my native language.  Writing in this forum requires some courage and effort from me.  Forgive me if you can not fully understand what I try to say. 

Last week, when I first “Share My Story�, I had two wishes in my mind.  One, to have a positive impact on those who are seeking for information to deal with such a scary situation.  Two, to witness God’s grace and express my gratitude to Him.  This topic posted by David happens to deal with both of my wishes. 

Before I start this reply, I went to read David’s other notes first and really admire his intents and efforts to help people (same admiration to Russ).  I would agree with most of David’s viewpoints.  However, there are a few points of mine I would like to share as well. 

There are plenty of notes in this forum emphasize the importance of experienced AN surgeon.  I agree with this from my heart except for one thing.  There seems to be too much emphasis on looking for the best and almost become a pressure or become an insecure factor for those who just can not afford or don’t know how to find a top surgeon (e.g., had done hundreds or even thousand of AN cases).  I am not sure if this is necessary.  To me, how the patient “feelâ€? about his/her future (or treatment results) is also very important (if not more).  The truth of matter is that; no matter how well we do our part for preparation, there is always an uncertainty.  That’s human’s limit.  Some people deal with this uncertainty well, some simply don't know how to deal with or can not tolerate at all.

As mentioned in my story, I had a very successful surgery in Houston.  I have very high respect to my doctors.  They are, however, not as experienced as what has been recommended in this forum.  I guess he would probably have 20-30 cases a year at most (the whole clinic has 50-60 cases a year as I was told).  Yes, there was a friend of mine highly recommending me to be treated in the famous clinic in CA.  Yes, my company would reimburse my travel expense if I chose to go to John Hopkins for Gamma Knife.  Yes, one of my friend told me there was a better team of AN doctors in Houston after I have already made the appointment.  I took all these information/options into consideration very seriously.  At the end, I chose to stay with the first option recommended to me, because that was the one I had God’s peace in my heart.  Reading all the stories in this forum, I have to say I am extremely lucky/blessed.  There has been hardly any post treatment problem with me.  More importantly, I have not been panic since day one and very grateful after the surgery.  Praise the Lord!

On the other hand, I don’t want to overstate what I understand about faith either.  To me, faith is a learning process of one’s relationship with God.  I am not sure if one should live by faith if he/she is not ready to do so.  It seems not so easy for everyone to understand that God may not reward your request even He wants the best for you.

For those who are already a Christian, I share your desire to have God to walk with you and I believe God would not mind to use a good neurosurgeon to do the work for Him.  For those who are not, I agree with David that you’d better look for the best for yourself.  Best wishes for you all.

Another David (David707)
2.5cm / Jan'05 / 53 yr
Dr. Vrabec & Dr. Trask / Houston
Excellent outcome and peaceful mind
Praise the lord !

Raydean

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 04:41:41 am »
Dear David's

There are some neurosurgeon's with very little AN experience (10 and under a year) who by there medical specialty of neurosurgeon will tell there patients that they are qualified.  Yes, by the definition of their medical training these doctors are "qualified".  But they lack the experience of the medical teams that do 50 or more  AN's a year.  From my personal view point and outcomes of a husband that was treated by a doctor that average maybe 10 AN's a year,  I can attest to the fact that the experience of the medical team plays a important part in the success of the surgery and possible outcomes.  The difference between experienced and "qualified" may well mean fewer medical outcomes, fewer quality of life issues and may well be the difference between a 'normal" life and disability.  My husband is living proof of this.

I grew up with with the saying "God helps those, that helps themselves".  So please research, ask your doctors how many AN's they have treated, what percentage does the treatment of AN comprise out of there total practice, How many AN's  do they treat yearly? Total practice?  Hearing rate preservation?  Facial preservation rate?  Other complication rates?  How does these numbers compare to a regional center that specializes in the treatment of AN's. 

With no disrespect intended, give God something to work with, an experienced medical team.  Working together I know that all things are possible.

Best to all
Raydean

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

jan pentecost

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 11:58:22 am »
I truly believe that God helps those who help themselves. We have been given gifts (tools) to seek out surgeons best qualified for this type of surgery. I have faith, even blind faith BUT I personally don't think God wants us to throw a dart at a board of surgeons to pick the one to operate on us. I believe we all need to make efforts to help in God helping us. If we don't plant a crop....how can we expect God to give us a bountiful harvest.

There are many, many qualified in most large cities....I don't believe there are only docs at the Mayo Clinic, the House Ear Clinic in LA......I asked people...I asked docs for referrals of patients who went thru this surgery. I went to the Medical Board of my state to see if there were any actions against the surgeon who did my surgery.

I initially asked God to guide me to a surgeon best qualified. THEN I asked God to guide the surgeons hands and I would accept whatever outcome I had...which I have done. And I ask HIM for courage on a daily basis to accept what steps I have taken forward or backward.

This is a personal subject....our spirituality. ANd no one has the best answer/response....but it is ours.
Just my humble opinion

jan
1.7 cm Left Side
May 3, 2005
Dr. R. Sterling Hodgson
Legacy Emaunuel Hospital
Portland, Oregon

russ

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2005, 01:36:29 pm »
"Good luck."  -David W.

and, "regards".... by DW. Very touching! It does take more than "luck" and "regards" is generally considered a derogatory, impersonal postscript to one's letter. I view it the same way as being 'flipped the bird'. Maybe I'm just a step up from you?
  EOS for me. Good luck, David!

Regards
                                                                                             Russ

David Wrubel

Russ...this doesn't make a lot of sense to me...
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2005, 01:49:04 pm »
"Good luck." -David W.

and, "regards".... by DW. Very touching! It does take more than "luck" and "regards" is generally considered a derogatory, impersonal postscript to one's letter. I view it the same way as being 'flipped the bird'. Maybe I'm just a step up from you?
 EOS for me. Good luck, David!

Regards
 Russ

Why get so personal? I've been using the same postscript..."regards"... on my letters and emails for years. Like it better than "sincerely" or nothing at all. I must have missed the annoucement that it is now considered impersonal.

Believe it or not Russ, I did not intend to insult you and apologize if you somehow took offense. There are more important things to do than get ino a pissing contest over this, and  the last I'll say is that we simply disagree.  And what does EOS mean?

« Last Edit: June 26, 2005, 06:29:03 pm by David Wrubel »
Regards....DW

jan pentecost

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2005, 05:34:48 pm »
I, for one, do not take...good luck ....as being flipped off, derogatory or offensive.  I take being flipped off as being....flipped off. I do not fully understand the sentence..."Maybe I'm just a step up from you?"  No one here is better or lesser of a human being than anyone else.
This always seems to happen when spirituality or religion enters into a conversation.....personal affronts.....

In my most humble opinion...it seems someone here  just wants confrontation.....but since it takes two or more to "allow confrontatio"n...this is the last of my part in this thread....unless it stops.
Lighten up...
Best of luck and the deepest regards,
jan
1.7 cm Left Side
May 3, 2005
Dr. R. Sterling Hodgson
Legacy Emaunuel Hospital
Portland, Oregon

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2005, 08:06:54 am »
Lets not take things so personal.  Haven't we learned from our AN's that we all believe different things (surgery - vs - radiation - vs - watch and wait).  We spend so much time trying to not hurt each others feelings that the message is lost in the sauce.  Everyone has an opinion...so be it!  The real plan for this page is to support and learn from each others experiences.  Don't we have enough problems then arguing with our cyber siblings?  Don't we all have enough sometimes and just need to vent??  How about we just let it go?

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2005, 08:23:19 am »

Odete: IF you are the same person whom was banned from the anac message board I do hope you can contain yourself here, obviously there is an importance of God and religion in people's lives and your contributions are important in that sence but please keep a lid on the bizzareness that you displayed on anac message board in the past. IF you are not the same Odete please ignore this posting and acept my apologies. Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)