Author Topic: Trigeminal Neuropathy or A typical facial pain  (Read 6121 times)

badkins

Trigeminal Neuropathy or A typical facial pain
« on: February 06, 2007, 07:35:25 am »
For all of the headache sufferes out there I think I have stumbled upon a Dr. who has finally given me a answer to my pain. During my 14hour surgery they hit a nerve and now I have been suffering with this unbarable migrains on a daily basis. Unforunatly not a whoe lot can be done since nercve damage is a permanant condition. I have done some research. If antone out there knows anything I would appreciate all info. They have upped the meds and tried to give me longer lasting pain relief so I don't continue to have break through. I would like my life back and not live like this.
Beth
18x18x19mm an rs 1-10-06
Translab approach
Gamma knife 9-29-06 UVA
25% regrowth 1st follow-up
Life has been good to me :-)

jerseygirl

Re: Trigeminal Neuropathy or A typical facial pain
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 09:15:33 am »
Badkins,

Could you please describe your pain in terms of location (where in the face and side of head) and the type (shooting, pulsating, typical migraine, sharp, dull, etc)? I found that I had 3 different pain types after surgery 18 years ago and my headaches were  so debilitating, I contemplated suicide more than once.  Fortunately, they were gone after 10 years. I am wondering if one of  the 3 different types of pain I experienced might be what you are going through.

I just want to give you hope that the body tends to heal over time, it is just that with any brain damage it takes a really long time. My doctors also said that whatever I find myself with 1 year out of surgery will be permanent but I found that to be not so. EVERYTHING improved over time: balance, face, memory, mood, you name it.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

badkins

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 05:25:05 pm »
The pain I have is on the an side behind the right eye. Severe stabbing like a knife, nausua also comes with this. The pain is so intence, I often wonder what happened? Nobody told me aout this. 1 year post op. I have not returned to work because the headaches are so intense.
Beth
18x18x19mm an rs 1-10-06
Translab approach
Gamma knife 9-29-06 UVA
25% regrowth 1st follow-up
Life has been good to me :-)

jerseygirl

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 06:37:55 pm »
Beth,

I also had that; in addition to nausea I also vomited a lot. This type of pain for me started either upon wakening up or even in the middle of the night. Nothing ( I mean meds) really helped it at the beginning while at the same time allowing me to lead a normal life; the meds just made me extremely sleepy and dizzy. Acupuncture helped somewhat, followed by Indocin suppositories. Really, the only thing that made it better is time, so don't lose hope.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

SorchaC

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 05:08:11 am »
Hi,
I've had a constant headache shince my op 4 years ago.....
The doctor/surgeon said I shouldn't, but I do....
Since the op I also get pains in my lower face on teh same side as the tumour and to make me even happier... well maybe not... I also get debilitating headaches as an occasional thing.... the last one put me in hospital.... where they decided I have cluster headaches and that painkillers don't work on them (well they're right on that ... ) but since then I actaully feel better.. wierd...

FlyersFan68