Author Topic: Skull Base endo  (Read 4267 times)

ceeceek

Skull Base endo
« on: February 05, 2007, 04:45:37 pm »
Hey,

Okay, I pasted this in with another topic so if you read it twice my apologies.....I just found out about possible endo treatment in FL where I live rather than traveling to LA...was wondering of those whom have had proceedure thought of it,,and any of you been to Orlando for treatment this way....

SO how did the surgery go...I am attempting to get info in regards to endoscopic surgery. There is actually someone in FL where I live who does it..and I am trying to compare via nasal regular, or endo nasal...seeing that either way I need a biopsy..which sort of sucks as I was all set for CK, when Dr. Stated he really reallywanted a biopsy..well seeing where my tumor sits, when they perform a biopsy, they might as well remove said tumor....so after speaking ever so breifly with SBI, I was told to put on breaks, and compare proceedures seeing that the biopsy that more than likely will be performed on me would be a similar approach to transnasal approach and if they were doing that, they would more than likely take tumor...I could be good candidate for endo....Now of course, Moffit...(where I go Wed for one more official opinion) does not do endo....and they stated thier reasons why...I am trying to compare the two types..cause so far from what I have read, endo would definately seem to me the way to go....but I know there are differences,,,,,,,,,,,,Could you tell me how yours went etc....and why you chose that method???

Thanks
Ceeceek
Such is life...Finally identified...vidian nerve schwanomma, 2.8x2.8x3cm.....in the middle but under my brain.....post transphenoidal endoscopic surgery April 19th, 2007 Pre CK treatment in Sept 07.....re-arranged cavity in hopes of reducing side effects and now officially diagnosed as hard headed.

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
Re: Skull Base endo
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 07:01:43 pm »
Hi Ceeceek,
I posted a long thread on my experience with Endoscopic through SBI under microsurgical options.
IT was for an AN tumor.
What type of tumor are you talking about?

I think it would be rare for surgeons to go through the nose for an AN, Is yours a pituitary tumor?

I know SBI does all sorts of tumors.

Instead of craniometry, where traditionalists peal your face down and lift your forehead and skull to get to the brain. SBI goes through a little square piece in the middle of the forehead,or nose, etc.

so first, we need to know the type of tumor.

For AN removal Shahinian did a "retrosigmoid craniectomy, endoscopic resection of acoustic neuroma, cranioplasty"-a little hole on top half of my mastoid.

After I was "out"-asleep---around 7am...

They prepped my body. meaning...

they had me on my right side down, padded with gel packs and my head was put in a brace.
at around 9am- He drilled a dime size hole and did the resection using monitors and a robotic arm.
The surgery lasted about 6-7 hrs.

Reasons I chose endo?

1. Less invasive.
2. I didn't want my cerebellum retracted. ( I hear residents get to have this job sometimes)
3. Less time in recovery.
4. Smaller scar.
5. I wanted the best science could offer.
6. I like to make my own decisions.
7. Traditionalists I met were not familiar with the technique.
8. After research on why I could not get specific information on Endo,
    I learned there was a bunch of politics within the "neurosurgeon" community that seemed more interested in stability
    than making the profession grow on behalf of patients.

Shahinian is ULTRA as in ULTRA careful whom he has on his specialized team with you in the room.
There is a nerve monitor, anestesiologist and some OR nurses.

He opens, resects, and closes.
They have a nurse reporting to your family every hour or so.
The biopsy was done about half way through surgery.

I woke up at 6pm. Freaked out of course. I didn't wake up", I blinked. I never had general anestesia before, so the surgery was literally like a Blink.
vertigo, vomiting, catheter the works. PAin at first, but I was out of their 3 days later.

My video of the resection is here if you are interested.
http://files.filefront.com//;6388483;;/

fotos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61996436@N00/

Watch all the documentaries on his website. http://skullbaseinstitute.com/pressroom.htm

There are a handful of us that chose the Endo route for AN removal and are happy that we chose that path.
If their is an Acoustic Neuroma Endo person in Florida, let the Community know! We chose Shahinian, because of his long time experience with AN's.
He does 1 a week on average.

Or if you speak Spanish, try having it done over on that big island neighbor too for a lot cheaper I bet. 8)
5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06