Author Topic: Aspartame  (Read 5625 times)

kristin

Aspartame
« on: July 27, 2005, 05:58:49 pm »
I heard on the radio today that research shows that Aspartame (the non-sugar sweetener found in diet sodas) does cause brain tumors. So, as a diet Pepsi addict and former host to an Acoustic Neuroma, I'm wondering if Pepsi, Co. should be held a little responsible? ;)
8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Kathleen_Mc

Re: Aspartame
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 07:21:50 pm »
I have thought about that a number of times, problem is proving that you wouldn't have got the thing if you hadn't drank the stuff, since they don't know all the causes of a.n. and this is a new theory, a.n.'s have been around a lot longer than sweeteners
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

russ

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 07:52:55 pm »
Hi
  Seems there are literally 100s of products containing Nutrasweet. Most likely the rats were given doses to exceeding 1000s of times of what average aspartame intake would be by humans.
  Aspartame is actually produced by the body in miniscule amounts. It is an 'amino acid'.
  Russ

MyrnaB

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 09:05:21 am »
When I first started having my symptoms and did not know I had a tumor, I thought I had aspartame poisening.  All the symptoms seemed to fit.  My doctor told me several years ago that aspartame was a killer and everyone should avoid it if possible.  Then my tumor was found and I have had surgery.  Like Russ said, aspartame is in 100s of products.  Now, common sense would tell me to not use anything with this in it.  But, I love Diet Coke.  Have I quit drinking it?  NO!  If a person is truly health conscious, they should avoid this and hundreds of other products out there "just in case".  Life is too short.  I am going to go have a diet coke and get busy outside.  Have a nice day. 

alibauer

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 09:18:10 am »
I agree! I'm a diet coke addict and have no plans of quitting, even after my schwannoma diagnosis. Life is too short not to enjoy it while we can. I'm sure we can all relate to that.

Another thing I'm not giving up? The occasional dirty martini!  8)

jenifyer

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 02:09:22 pm »
I have thought about this many times myself.  As much as i try not to drink diet sodas, i love my diet coke!  I don't know if any of you have dried new diet coke made with splenda, but it tastes really good.  Splenda is made from sugar and supposedly it is not at all harmful.

jenifyer

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 06:24:50 pm »
Jennifer: splenda! the new guy on the block, made from sugar....10years from now they'll find something it causes somehow......something's gotta kill us eventually! (advid diet product drinker for over 20 years) Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

russ

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2005, 07:45:42 pm »
Ah;
  SPLENDA!!   10 x sweeter than pure sugar and made from sugar by adding a chlorine ion. We'll see how this one goes with people as we watch 'Stevia'!
  Russ