Author Topic: Checking in....MRI tomorrow  (Read 5724 times)

tatianne

Checking in....MRI tomorrow
« on: January 17, 2007, 01:42:19 pm »
Hi everyone,
i havent written in a while but i have been checking in regurlarly to see how everyone is doing.
I have my MRI appointment for tomorrow Jan 18....Im really stressed about it.
My AN was quite small 6 months ago but this is my first follow up some I guess it will determine how fast this pest is growing.
Will this MRI be as long as the first ?? The first one was about 40 minutes with contrast.
I hope this thing is not growing at all, but if it is it looks like GK will be my treatment plan.
The sucky thing is I live in Canada and it takes 2-3 weeks for the results to be sent to my doc, my appointment with him is scheduled for Feb 12, thats a long wait. In one way its good because it gives me a few more weeks of putting off thinking too much about this and on the other hand I would just like to know right away.
My symptoms have not really changed over the past six months, ringing that goes up and down in volume, a little bit of head pressure now and then and so mild balance issues once in a while. Overall this AN has not really affected my life that much so far....hopefully it hasnt grown or even better is beginning to shrink(it doesnt hurt to be an optimist)...
I will keep you guys and girls updated.
(I hate MRIs, i dont like being closed in)
Hope everyone else is doing good.
Tatianne
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
Re: Checking in....MRI tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 02:24:50 pm »
The MRI should be the same as last time - they want all the same scans to be able to do a good comparison.

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.  Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 02:35:41 pm »
Should be the same as the last.
Let us know how your results are.

We'll be doing the let it shrink dance too!  Hey we can all be optimistic right?  :-* ;)

tatianne

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 02:38:14 pm »
thanks katie and miss princess....i will be doing the let it shrink dance tonight !!!!

Your support is much appreciated as always.

Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

tlmdinger

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 04:54:52 pm »
so how did it go?   any word yet?  wishing you the best. :)

tatianne

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 11:42:51 am »
the MRI went OK....They did about 15-20 minutes without contrast and 15 with contrast...even seemed a little longer then the first time.
They of course dont say anything to you about the test.
Im in Canada and it takes 2-3 weeks for the MRI to be read, so i see my Doc on February 12, so I have to wait until then for any news.
Can the technicien read the MRI ?? If there was a major development or urgent concern would he flag the test and have the results sent to my doctor more quickly ??
Im hoping that there is not growth at all, or even better, it has disappeared all together...(that would be a great miracle).
I will let you guys and girls know whats up after i see the doc on the 12th.
T
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 01:51:54 pm »
Bruce,

I have to ask you this and I hope you indulge me on this one.... if your rad tech did the MRI and spotted your AN (when you were first diagnosed), then they had you immediately meet with the MRI Radiologist that did the wet read... who was the dr that initially ordered your MRI?  did they call your ordering dr first before they talked to you?

I thought it was unethical for a radiologist to give an impression or diagnosis of a film and that the dr that ordered the films in the first place were to discuss the findings?

Funny, anytime I ask any of my radiology team (ie: my MRI's, CT Scans, PET scans, Octreotide scans, etc) for an inkling of a hint of what they saw, every single one tells me .... "well, you'll have to discuss it with the dr that ordered the test. I just perform the test".

Just amazed that they told you first before the dr that ordered the test... unless I misunderstood your post. If I did misunderstand, please disregard this post.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 02:04:39 pm »
my Tech (at my first MRI) was suddenly very nice to me... He saw the LARGE AN but said nothing  I knew something was up ...

my spidey sence was tiggling!
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

redgrl

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 03:36:37 pm »
Thats funny phyl mine says the same thing. They can't say anything.
4 cm left side AN. Translab Sept 20th 06 at virginia mason w/Dr. Backous & Dr. Nussbaum. Second surgery Oct 15th 06 to repair CFS leak.

Obita

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 08:15:25 pm »
Hi Tatianne:

I can't believe it has been 6 months since you came on......time does fly.  No growth, no growth....chant for you!!

I will be thinking of you on the 12th!!

I knew the MRI showed something by the tech's demeanor.  I had one person put me in and quite another take me out and it was the same person.  He also said:  I'm sure your doctor will be calling you soon with the results.....SOON - oh boy and he did, the next night @ 7:00. I didn't even want to ask the tech.  I knew something was very wrong but I still didn't want to hear it.

Hang in there Tatianne, Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

tatianne

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 11:49:47 am »
Well its been over a month since my MRI and up until last week my doctor still didnt have the results, can you believe that ???
My ex husband works in the emergency and took a look in the computer for the results yesterday (even though I told him not to) and decided to inform me that it has grown, the MRI indicated mild growth, apparently it has gone from 8mm X 3mm to 9mm X 4mm in six months...that seems like fast growth to me. Aside from that I dont have anymore details because I didnt want to know anymore until I see my doctor on the 26th...I havent heard from his office and I have to assume that if there was anything urgent or any important chamge he would have contacted me. Last time I made the mistake of reading my MRI before the doctor and it created a lot of anxiety because I didnt understand all the terms and the way the word things in such uncertain terms sometimes, like they are not sure of anything...but according to my doctor thats the tech covering his butt.
I will let u all know what happens at my appointment....do u think he will suggest moving forward with treatment now with this growth rate ??
Tks
Tatianna ??? :'(
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 12:28:10 pm »
2mm/year, I believe, is considered an "average" growth rate for ANs.  While many are lucky to have ANs that don't seem to grow, I don't think you have anything to be alarmed about.  I decided to move forward with surgery after my AN grew almost 6mm in a year (and mine was larger than yours to start with).  Additionally, there's always a +/- factor of a couple millimeters when reading the size of ANs just because of slight differences in things like your head position from one MRI to the next, etc.

The 26th is not that far away, so you don't have long to wait.   

Let us know what your doctor says!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)