Author Topic: TransEar gets better each day  (Read 65297 times)

Jeanlea

Re: TransEar gets better each day
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2007, 04:18:07 pm »
Hi Janet,

I'm on day one with my TransEar.  I had an impression taken without a bite block and one with the bit block.  Mine doesn't cause any pain at all.  It probably helps that I have little feeling in my ear. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

okiesandy

« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2007, 05:22:42 pm »
Ok, all of you keep posting. I'm learning from all of this.  Bite Block? Never heard of that. Have Appointment 3/6 to get my Transear. 2 hour appointment. Does that sound right?  I hurt like the d***ens when he took the molds. Tell me it is not going to feel that bad. I will ask for bite block.  Anything else I need to know. Gosh, I started this in Nov. Feels like years have gone by.

sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

Jeanlea

« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2007, 05:55:43 pm »
Sandy,

My audiologists tested my hearing in the sound proof box and then took the ear impressions.  She told me that it is not uncommon for them to  hurt, especially this one because it has to be so deep.  TransEar requests two impressions to get the best fit. I had one with a bit block and one without.  The pain in the short term will be worth it in the long run.  The ear piece will fit better.  Mine slips in and out easily. 

Good luck at your appointment.

Jean
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
TransEar for SSD

djyanetta

« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2007, 06:09:29 pm »
Sandy, the bite block is used during taking of the impressions. I have been fitted once and the bite block was not used. The TransEar hurt like heck and even after a little filing, it still hurt. I returned the TransEar and went with the typical BTE ---- not good for SSD. Going back to TransEar and the TransEar rep suggested that when I get refitted, for the Audiologist to use a bite block. Said it may help minimize the pain sometimes associated with the fit (deep in the canal for bone conduction.) Some discomfort may be normal ---- but not  as much pain as I experienced, and I am not a woos.

Janet

matti

« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2007, 06:22:54 pm »
Sandy,

Even if your audiologist has never worked with the transEar, 2 hours is more than enough time. Hopefully he/she will acqauint themselves with the program first or have a Transear rep. walk them though it and be ready for you. Rick Gilbert said programming TransEar is very easy to do.

I had mentioned to Jean when she was getting hers, to walk outside with it and test it in a couple of different settings before heading home. The office setting is so quiet that you sometimes don't get a good feel for all the programs.

My audiologist did another impression yesterday and that one really hurt. The TransEar should not feel like that and if it does, they can sand it while you are there. The bite block is used when taking impessions, my audiologist never used one with me either, I've always wondered if that was the reason for some of my problems. I have had remakes for fit and will be having a new one made because my current is not tight enough.

Good luck!

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Boppie

« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2007, 11:21:49 pm »
My audiologist took two ear canal impressions, one with the bite block between my molars and one without.  The bite block spreads the mandible (jaw) bones open a little more, and gives a second set of dimensions for the mold design. The two impressions are compared (I think this is done by graphics on a computer screen).  The ear model is designed from that.  Wouldn't you just love to see this equipment? 

When my TransEar was inserted, it felt a little long and wide at two points.  By guessing and letting the audiologist sand some off where I felt pain, we arrived at a comfortable fit.  This fine tuning has to be done by two patient people, you and the audiologist.  I wore my TransEar home the first days and got a sore spot inside there somewhere, it hurt when I talked and chewed.  I waited two more days to allow the sore to calm down and then phoned for another visit.  I went back for another sanding session and that made the fit perfect...I've been wearing the aid almost 5 months. 

Rick Gilbert told me I was his first patient with such a small ear canal that curved so much.  How different we are!  My ear lobes and outer stuff is regular size.

okiesandy

« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2007, 12:50:46 pm »
Well nuts, Is this ever going to be right?  I had 2 molds made. Not with bite block. Now the aid is at the audiologist waiting for me.
When making the molds it was not comfortable. Not really terrible, just uncomfortable. Don't think I could stand it if it feels like that.

My problems is, it needs to be as right as it can be. I started this in November knowing I only had one doctors appointment from then until March 5th. Now it is time for neurosurgeon, dentist, PCP, mamo, and neurotologist, etc. Only a limited time off is allowed at work. I ask for a vacation day last week and you would have thought I wanted to exicute someone's first born child. (I haven't had a day off just for me in over a year).  I sometimes think that the doctors do not realize how much stress they put us under by having to take off work so much. I sure hope the Transear works out and I don't have a lot of problems with it. The audiologist I go to is supposed to be one of the best. However, he has messed up a couple of time already. One by not making the molds out of the correct material the first time. However, he is at least open minded about the product now. I feel like a pioneer or something. Everyone I know with single sided deafness is waiting to see how I do before they go. Kind of frustrating. If they would show an interest then the doctor would know this is not just a flash in the pan thing and get a little more training. I don't know what you are paying for your Transear. Mine is supposed to be about $3500 for aid, fittings, visits etc.

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2007, 01:08:25 pm »
Sandy,

On a note that you made... I am curious about the training that TransEar company gives to the audiologist/treating dr's that are doing the fittings and such for TransEar patients... does anyone know?  Seems that some are making the molds one way, some another way, etc...

Rick, can you chime in? 

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

matti

« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2007, 03:44:15 pm »
I called TransEar today regarding this question and was told that it is helpful, but not mandatory that a bite block be used. It really depends on the audiologists preferred method of impression taking.

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2007, 03:47:28 pm »
I called TransEar today regarding this question and was told that it is helpful, but not mandatory that a bite block be used. It really depends on the audiologists preferred method of impression taking.

Cheryl

Hey Cheryl  :-*

Did you, by chance, ask them about the training they go through for fitting patients with TransEar? I understand it's the audiologists choice (thanks for checking on that!) for impression taking, but curious what kind of training the audiologist goes through to make sure fittings and "tune ups", etc, are alll done right.

xoxo
Phyl

(P.S. Beanie is on the office floor here with me and sends a "woof-arf" to her boyfriend... said you would know what it meant!  :-* )
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

okiesandy

« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2007, 04:34:00 pm »
Training?  How could that be when most of the audiologist have not even heard of Transear? It is my impression that they get instructions via the telephone as to fitting, programming and such. As for my audiologist, he was referred to my by the Transear people. I assumed (yes, I know what that means) he had fitted one before. When I made the appointment is was not told he had no knowledge of the Transear. While I was in the office he looked it up on the internet. Later, he consulted by phone. Sometimes I think something gets lost in the translation.

My neurotologist also had never heard of the Transear. He is with a teaching hospital and the audiologist's there refused to even contact the company or try to fit me with one. The neurotologist thinks I do quite well with out anything. Sure, in his office with the door closed, maybe he would like to take me to dinner and see if I can hear. His suggestion was a BAHA. Of course with AIED I will lose all hearing someday anyway so this suggestion fell on deaf ears (a pun intended). I have enough lose screws I don't need an extra one. Transear is a do-it-yourself project for me. Strange how they seem to lose intrest if they don't get to pluck the "little bugger" out of your head.  :'(

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK

djyanetta

« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2007, 04:49:22 pm »
Well, I turned in my conventional hearing aid today and was fitted again for the TransEar. Per my request, the Audiologist took to impressions, one with the bite block and one without. She will send them both in. When I talked to TransEar yesterday, they did say it will take about two weeks. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the new TransEar will be everything I hope it to be. I will post again when I receive my new hearing aid.

Janet

Jeanlea

« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2007, 05:38:38 pm »
Sandy,

I think the price can vary.  Mine cost me $2400.  That includes the office visits, I believe since that was all the money they asked for.  I was checking with another office and that one would have been closer to $3500.  They are similar in price to a high end digital hearing aid. 

I'm on day 2 with my TransEar.  It was interesting in school today.  I could hear a little more on the deaf side where before I would have had much difficulty hearing.  I'm still playing with the settings to see how they work.  I did notice that it vibrates a lot in school because they make so much noise.  lol  The vibrations are not bothersome though.  It was a little easier to hear in the lunchroom.  That's a difficult room to hear in even if you have normal hearing.  I did make a point to try and keep people on my "bad side" to see if it made a difference.  It was easier than in the past.  I think it may need time to increase even more.   

Jean

September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
TransEar for SSD

Boppie

« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2007, 06:21:40 pm »
Yes, it does take a while to get used to hearing through the TransEar.  You get natural sound, not tin sounding, but there is a switch over going on in the brain.  The good side is getting new info from the deaf side.  This is not simple and the brain is brilliant in sorting this out.  Somehow you start to realize you feel almost normal.  Almost  ;D

I guess I was lucky.  I remember the audiologist saying, "They want a second impression, so we're going to do this".  Then she had me put the bite block in.  That was the only uncomfortable part for me.  My jaw wanted to scream for a few seconds.  The impression goo was wierd but not painful. 

My audiologist did her homework with Rick Gilbert on the phone before I arrived and between visits one and two.  I was her first TransEar.  My total turn key was $2800.  Tests included.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 06:26:34 pm by Boppie »

Boppie

« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2007, 06:31:12 pm »
Jeanlea, Does the vibrating begin late in the day?  I wonder if taking the unit out, drying it with a clean handkerchief, and then reinserting it with new gel might help?  ...need a safe clean place and mirror to do this just like contacts.