Author Topic: HMO's  (Read 14850 times)

Dantheman

• Orthodox Christian Bookstore
HMO's
« on: January 23, 2007, 12:37:58 pm »
Just curious, how many folks had an HMO for insurance, and did they cover all of the surgery or did you owe the Dr.'s some money at the end?

I have an HMO, live on the southern tier of NYS and am a little concerned about debt.

Dan
Diagnosed 12/08/2006. 1.7 cm Right Side AN.
Trans-lab performed on 02/13/2007 by Dr. Lawrence Meiteles and Dr. Raj Murali at Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, N.Y.
TransEar worn since 4/17/07.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: HMO's
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 12:53:06 pm »
Hi Dan,

I have BC/BS of MA PPO, so I cannot answer your question.  Does your HMO provide a customer service dept that you can inquire about what is covered and what facilities they do cover? If you decide to go out of your plan, they should be able to help you determine just how much will be out-of-pocket.  I know many treating facilities will talk directly to medical coverage providers as well. 

I know there are a few folks here with extensive insurance expertise so I'm hoping they chime in to help guide you better than I can.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 12:57:06 pm »
Exactly Phyl,

Check with your customer service - the phone # should be on the back of your ins. card.
And the facility in network should help out with checking with the HMO re: coverage.
Personally, I can't imagine an HMO not covering this serious surgery !!!

Best Wishes, Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 01:53:48 pm »
Bruce,

When was the HMO contract for your coverage renewed?  If it was recently, that may be why the "pre-existing" claus no longer is there... just a thought. I've run into it before as well at time of contract renewal.

Phyl

I just called my HMO (BC/BS) today, and they cover everything except for the deductibles. The strange thing though is that in the literature it stated that there was a pre-existing condition clause, yet today they tell me that they have no such clause so that I could have been treated months ago. I guess it really is worth giving your insurance company a call first to get the particulars.

Bruce
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Dantheman

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 02:41:06 pm »
I'll be in contact with the HMO (CDPHP) soon. I have my final appointment with my Otologist next week. All my testing was completed last week. I hope to get a surgery date soon.

My HMO doesn't have Otologists nor Neurosurgeons in network...that's the thing. Deductables don't worry me. It's all of the paperwork the Dr's have you sign that state you will pay what the insurance won't cover. That's what worries me.

So far, CDPHP has been great...

Dan
Trans-lab performed on 02/13/2007 by Dr. Lawrence Meiteles and Dr. Raj Murali at Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, N.Y.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 02:52:21 pm »
Give the HMO a call Dan,
this is serious surgery - you deserve the best
(how can the HMO not have neurosurgeons in network ???)

Good luck with everything,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

meh

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 08:27:11 am »
Hi,

We had a HMO. We had our surgery at House clinic and that was out of network, but House clinic did negotiate with insurance company and we did not have to pay anything.

amylynn

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 06:35:25 pm »
Dan, I have an HMO and live in MO.  I had docs here  but, after lots of research, wanted to go to HOUSE.  After my second appeal and assistance from the state of MO(I filed a complaint with the state against my insurance company) I got the out of network approved. 
   If there are none in your network they will probably find you a doctor that is capable of performing the surgery, however, you want someone highly skilled and have a right to the best care you can get.  Do your research because the doc they pick may not be the one you want as was in my case.
Best wishes.
Amy
amylynn 
3.0cm AN left
sx 10/26/06
House-Friedman/Hitselberger/translab
MO

amylynn

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 06:37:52 pm »
Addendum to first reply- my bills were covered, I had to pay only deductibles, it was as if I had gone in network.
amylynn 
3.0cm AN left
sx 10/26/06
House-Friedman/Hitselberger/translab
MO

Shrnwldr

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 02:36:48 pm »
I have Cigna HMO and so far have not had to deal with the insurance company directly.   I did ask my Otologist's assistant and she replied she would take care of all the approvals and authorizations I would need.  This has been a great weight lifted off my shoulders.
I know for my doctor's visit I have a $15.00 co-pay but that is about it.
2cm x1cm, right side
Surgery: Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jerald V. Robinson, Dr. William Hitselberger, Dr. Michael Stefan.
Hopsital: St Vincent's Hospital, Los Angeles, CA
Date of Surgery: May 18, 2007

Dantheman

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 10:21:17 am »
I spoke to CDPHP today and they said I just have to pay the hospitalization copay of $100 a day for 5 days. That's it. Hopefully that's how it will all play out. Thanks for everyones replies and support!

Dan

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 10:40:25 am »
Dan, $500 (give or take) for all that will be done... works for me... and hoping this takes a monkey off your back so you don't have to worry, from a financial standpoint. Glad it is working out for you.

Phyl

chrissmom

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2007, 03:03:22 pm »
Hi Bruce,
I remember when you moved and that you mentioned the pre-existing condition clause.  Christopher's  had HealthAmerica and it was very good but recently  (Jan 1) they switched to BC/BS of PA.  I frantically searched for that clause.  I couldn't find it. I called them and but they didn't have information on his benefits yet.  I'm still worried that they will reject his Feb. MRI. I'm really worried. He now has the state Access to backup the BC/BS.

Before AN, he had a full-time job and was a part-time college student and fortunately he had this insurance.  After AN removal, I got him on the state HIPP program where they pay the employer for his  health insurance (because it is more cost effective).  Anyway, now they claim they will pay whatever his private insurance doesn't pay.  I sure hope they do because we had a $4,000 rehab bill and it is bound to get larger and that Feb. MRI coming up.

Let  us know how your BC/BS is working...I've been following you.
Rita

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 07:02:31 pm »
AHH Insurance- my Blue Shield is vague about the whole MRI/CT Scan thang- turns out I use the MRI expense to fulfill my deductible.... nevermind that it is medically necessary... ::)  Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys

jenn

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 11:07:12 pm »
I have an HMO (Healthnet) and I even got authorization to have the surgery at a hospital other than the one that I had signed up for.  So far I have not received any bills BUT, I just received in the mail from the hospital that my HMO had under paid the contract that the two had agreed on.  The letter also stated that if it does not get resolved then I would be responsible for the difference.  I am anticipating that this will get resolved and if not then possibly litigation ???  Supposedly patients with HMO's are not suppose to be bothered with things like this. Just when everything seems to be going good something has to go wrong.  :(
As long as authorizations are obtained everything should be fine.  Times like these we find out what are insurances are really made of; do they work when we need them or are they just taking our money.

jenn
2.0 cm AN diagnosed 09-06 Age 38
Surgery 12-06 Trans Lab at Loma Linda Univ. Med Center
Surgeon: Timothy Jung/MicroSurgeon: Lawrence Clark