Author Topic: Contact Lens Wearers  (Read 7324 times)

jason1

Contact Lens Wearers
« on: January 22, 2007, 09:15:24 pm »
From reading everyone's experiences with dry eye issues, can I assume that wearing my contacts is not likely for a while after my translab surgery? :(
2 cm AN found Dec 2006; hearing loss with tinnitus for 12 years and balance issues prompted MRI; translab surgery Feb 2007 with Dr. Sahni and Dr. Shaia in Richmond, VA.; July 2009 CSF leak developed (clear liquid through nose) requiring repeat surgery to repair

Denise

Re: Contact Lens Wearers
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 07:37:56 am »
Jason,
My eye dr. told me contacts would not be good since i wouldn't be able to feel if anything got between the contact and my eye. So I wear glasses and have not asked about contacts again.  But you should definitely ask your drs., not everyone's symptoms or outcomes are the same after surgery.  Couldn't hurt to check. 

Denise
4+ cm, left side
translab 5/9/2005
CSF leak repair 6/23/2005
platinum weight in left eye 11/9/05
12/7 nerve switch 8/3/06
Univ. of MN Drs. Levine/Haines

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 08:01:15 am »
Like everything else, the answer is "it depends."  Mostly on how affected you are by dry eye issues post-op.  Personally, I wasn't wearing contacts for about a month after my translab (I was sleeping too much anyway, and I hate waking up with contacts in!), but have had no problems with them since then.

Good luck!
Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 09:25:08 am »

I would assume you should not wear them until you can go thu the whole day without drops..., Katie , are you using eye drops at all?

for the first couple months while your recovering .. just wear the glass .. its easier ....
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 09:38:23 am »
Glasses are so fashionable now anyways! :)

I have to agree with Katie and Joe *waves hi*.  I'm not sure if you have an optomitrist to help follow you post-surgery in case you do run into dry eye. It's easy enough for them to view your eyes to see if they are looking dry or not as "just in case". 

Wishing you well,
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 03:23:36 pm »

I would assume you should not wear them until you can go thu the whole day without drops..., Katie , are you using eye drops at all?

I am not using eye drops - my eye just doesn't feel dry at all.  However, I have noticed that whenever I cry I don't tear as much on the AN side - my non-AN side seems to make about twice as many tears, in fact.  But it's not something I notice day-to-day.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 03:54:43 pm »

its funny .. in my 20's i also seemed to have problems with the right side contact .. I never really understood why.. now I think I do .. my right sided AN ...  :(
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

jason1

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 10:17:50 am »
Just wanted to follow-up with my post-op experience. I'm 4 weeks post-op and doing very well. After 3-4 days in the hospital and trying to walk around, I felt my blurred vision (without contacts or glasses) was hampering my balance and recuperation. I could not focus in the distance to help stabilize myself.  I could not wear glasses do due my bandage and incision so close to my ear, so I tried my contact lenses on day 4.  I was fortunate not to have dry eye issues and the contacts made a difference for me in regaining some balance. But as everyone says, result will vary depending on the individual situation.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences with me prior to surgery.  As a post-op graduate I hope to continue the chain and provide help and information to those that follow.

:)
2 cm AN found Dec 2006; hearing loss with tinnitus for 12 years and balance issues prompted MRI; translab surgery Feb 2007 with Dr. Sahni and Dr. Shaia in Richmond, VA.; July 2009 CSF leak developed (clear liquid through nose) requiring repeat surgery to repair

cookiesecond

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 05:13:22 pm »
Good for you Jason!!!! My contacts really helped with my balance  however, I waited about a month. I wore my glasses at first. We took the leg off of my glasses because of my bandage but it still helped when I could wear my contacts.
Lynn