Author Topic: Pain on Opposite Side  (Read 4976 times)

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
Pain on Opposite Side
« on: January 20, 2007, 02:43:05 pm »
I know there are some ANers that have pain or headaches on the opposite side from their tumors. The majority of my pain is on the opposite side in the exact place where my incision is. Here is a link to an article about Harvard research that might help in understanding that this is valid as it relates to nerve damage or severing. I also feel ear fullness on the opposite side. I was really happy to find this article. Doctors seem to be baffeled by these AN headaches in general. Imagine trying to explain that you are feeling your pain on the opposite side. (I do have ringing and 25% hearing loss on the AN side.)

http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2004/05.06/01-pain.html

Does anyone know of Louise Oaklander, MD, PhD, director of the MGH Nerve Injury Unit?

Also, If anyone is getting injections (Botox, Steroids, Anesthetics) that has opposite sided pain, are you getting them on both sides of the head? At the pain site only?

Janet
Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Pain on Opposite Side
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 05:54:18 am »
Hi Janet:

Interesting article, thanks for posting.
I seem to be having tinnitus sounding like its dead center at the back of my head - & it's different from & in conjunction with the right sided tinnitus I always have.
Things that make you go hmmmmmm.....

Best wishes to you, Nancy

ps.  never heard of Dr. Oaklander,  haven't needed the botox, etc.,  pain isn't a major issue for me, but it sure is for others, debilitating in fact.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 06:17:01 am by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

terracotta

Re: Pain on Opposite Side
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 02:35:42 pm »
Hi Janet,
I guess this goes along with what my pain doc at Stanford told me!
best,
T