Author Topic: Depression  (Read 7619 times)

Catflower

Depression
« on: January 20, 2007, 09:22:01 am »
I am scheduled to see a surgeon Monday, January 22, to discuss surgery for my 2 cm AN.  I was diagnosed in November 2007 and have been waiting all this time to see him.  My question is:  have any of you experienced periods of overwhelming saddness prior to surgery.  I have days when I cry at the drop of a hat (I'm post-menopausal so it's not hormonal).

Linda in WV

jtd71465

Re: Depression
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 09:32:37 am »
I was diagnosed in November of 2006 and had surgery on January,10 2007, during that time I experienced many emotions.  Each day I found myself crying one moment and laughing the next....this seemed to happen less and less as time moved by and my surgery date approached.  I'm now 10 days post-op and feel great, happy with all the decisions I made during the "process", that's even with the hearing loss in my right ear.  You are not alone and if the need arises to speak with someone, please email me directly.

Good Luck.
Right side AN removed 1/10/07 @ NYU Medical Center
Dr's Roland and Golfinos

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 09:48:15 am »
Linda:

I tried to post and typed a long post.  It went away.

I'm down with a shoulder injury.  (surgery next Fri.)  I can relate to being sad.

You might want to take something that helps with depression but, usually those drugs take two weeks to begin working.  Consult your doctor if you feel it is serious enough.

I've got extremely painful fluid behind the ear-drum.  I'm going back to the ENT doctor and he will lance the ear-drum if the pills don't work.  I have horrible pain since, the first of the year.  My appt. is the very end of the month.  All I need is a hole in the ear-drum of my AN tumor side.  (six weeks now out of CK)

Again, make sure you make the right decision.  (the big surgery or radiation)  There is no turning back once done.

I'm sorry my long post went away as, it was detailed.  I can't type more with my shoulder problem.

My best of luck,

Palace
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 11:52:09 am by Palace »
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Static

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 10:44:50 am »
I have had depression as well, pre and post surgery so I can relate.  I would think that alot of things regarding this depend on the person.  I did not wait very long before I went and got help to deal with it.  Am still taking something and am just starting to feel a bit more back to my normal self.  It took awhile before we found something that would help me.  Everyone is different and we each have to do what works for us as individuals.  I think seeing that other people are dealing with same/similar issues makes us more accepting of our own situations.
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 03:31:42 pm »
I was taking antidepression pills before surgery and had been for some time.  I still found myself boo hooey one minute and happily laughing the next. It's just such an overwhelming thing to deal with.  After surgery I laughed a lot and then about 6 mos after my surgery I went the extreme opposite way so back on the meds I went.  Still trying to get it right.  It does help to talk to someone who understands or is a professional as the range of emotions are huge.  Anyone of us are willing to talk in a PM is need be.  Please know you're not alone and we do understand!

amymeri

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 04:55:14 pm »
While waiting for the diagnosis and then waiting for the surgery I was very depressed.  I still have some bad days, especially if I look in the mirror or catch peoples stares.

I also had overwhelming fear, some feelings of shame, isolation and hopelessness.  I am much better now.

This is going to be hard, but you will get through.  I found out I had the greatest friends and family and was so blessed and overcome by the love that was sent my way.  It made everything much better.

You will survive this.  We will all stand next to you.  Its normal to  be afraid and depressed (it might be a little abnormal NOT to be!).

Things will get better.

((((HUGS)))) :-*
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

Dfcman

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 10:23:07 pm »
I was diagnosed April 2006.  A lot of people said I was strong and I dealt with "this" like a champ.  I dunno, I think I was too shocked and in disbeleif about it since I was still 21 at the time. I admit its more post traumatic for me.  But it affects everyone differently.  Most young adults never had to experience this and sometimes I just think to myself when I see others "you have no idea!"

But the way I loooked at it was, it could be much worse. AN's are benign at least.   I mean its a little ****ty for awhile, but this is not that uncommon of a thing.  I looked at it as something that kinda backed me in a corner, and I had to decide whether or not it can be controlled or if I wanted it controlling me.

Try not to be discouraged!  It will get better!  I'm sorry that you had to join our forum, but know there is some really considerate people on here.  Ive been so fortunate to have discovered this as welll.

Son of Chrissmom
23 Years Old
AIM is the best way to contact me
5.3 x 4 cm tumor removed by surgery(2 times)
Dr. Arriaga and Dr. Baghai Pittsburgh Allegheny Hospital
Post Op as of 7/20/06

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 07:04:41 am »
Linda,

Hugs, hugs and more hugs.  Depression isn't fun and it is so understandable.  Tell your surgeon and he may recommend that you see someone before your surgery.  Alot of primary care physicians will give you a lose dose of something to take the "edge" off the depression, but it really is something you need to talk about.  We all understand where you are.  I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 08:38:49 am »
Hey Brenda:

Can I get a HUG ?? 

It's funny, but since having my surgery,  I LOVE HUGS !!!!!!   Never use to be this way.
Geuss I'm just glad to be alive !!!!

Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Pembo

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 09:24:10 am »
The days between diagnosis and surgery were some of the most difficult. I think they were actually harder than the days after surgery. My surgeon asked if I wanted medication to get through. It was only 3 weeks but they were the longest!  After surgery I've dealt with depression as well. I learned thru these forums that it's all part of the grieving process.  Things do get better! Stay strong, it's all we can do.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

justsimplyrhonda

• http://rhondaclemmons.4t.com
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 04:59:49 pm »
Big hug to you Nancy .....I love hugs ....my kids especially my youngest Dekota ....he comes up out of the blue and hugs me all the time  :)

Boppie

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 06:20:23 pm »
It is a good thing to be able to tell others when you need a hug.  Our caregivers want to get back to normal, but we are still celebrating having dodged the bigger bullet.    Everybody around us needs hugs, too!

One of the best things I did was to find a hearing aid.  This sort of made me whole again!  It helps a lot to be able to function in the social hearing world.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 06:26:26 pm by Boppie »

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 05:54:23 am »
Sure (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Nancy)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Hugs to you.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 07:26:46 am »
YEEEEAAAAAAHHH FOR THE HUGS !!!!!!!

THANKS EVERYONE
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

redgrl

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 03:02:23 pm »
BIG HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D I was taking a small dose of Zoloft before and after surgery. It helped me. Sometimes i feel like a Zombie though. I think everyone on this journey experienced similiar things. thats why this forum is so great! :)
4 cm left side AN. Translab Sept 20th 06 at virginia mason w/Dr. Backous & Dr. Nussbaum. Second surgery Oct 15th 06 to repair CFS leak.