Author Topic: Just Starting Recovery  (Read 5552 times)

Kymera

Just Starting Recovery
« on: January 20, 2007, 07:23:46 am »
I had a 2.8cm AN that was removed by retrosigmoid surgery on Jan 11, 2007. Fortunately, no obvious facial paralysis (doctors can see some slight weakness when closing my right eye).   I did lose all hearing in my right ear.  The tumor had pretty much destroyed the nerve before they had scheduled surgery to remove it, so I was fairly certain that deafness on that side was likely.  All in all, after 2 days the doctors removed the pressure bandage and my recovery has been uneventful.  I have site/incision pain, limited neck mobility and mild dizziness that is triggered by quick motion of the head, which is to be expected.  I also have quite a bit of scalp tenderness separate from the operative location.  Some described it as having your hair pulled into tight pigtails for a period of time.  I would say that is 100% correct.

So, everything has been going pretty well for me thus far.  Are there any surprises that one should expect further down the road?  My surgeon said to expect some post-op facial paralysis due to tissue swelling around the nerve.  I haven't had that yet, should I expect it, or anything else for that matter?  Or if it hasn't happened yet, it won't?

This is my first post to these forums.  I appreciate you guys sharing your experiences with everyone.  It helps the healing process for those of us just coming to terms with the post-op effects of the tumor removal.

Quailruner

• Kung Pow that AN thing
Re: Just Starting Recovery
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 08:31:27 am »
Kymera,

Great to hear you made it through surgery and doing well.
I just had mine on Dec 19th but a different surgery (middle fossa).
I still have facial paralysis after a month, but it is slowly coming back.
I have a little movement above my eye, and my face has lifted up some.
I have dry eye on my AN side and keep those eye drops handy.
The road to recovery for me seems to be long for my facial weekness, everything else (phiscal) is back to normal.
It takes months for those nerves to heal. So keep thinking positive.

Regards,

Kenn A.
Kenn A. (Peoria AZ)
1.2 x .9 CM AN Right Side
Surgery on 19 Dec 2006 (Middle Fossa)
House Ear Clinic, Los Angles CA
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 03:44:22 pm »
Sounds pretty typical to me.  If you're eye isn't closing all the way you need to use eyedrops to keep it from drying out and causing cornea damage.  Refresh works great.  I didn't for the first couple of weeks as I didn't know and I reached that point of my eye felt like i had beach sand in it.   >:(  The Refresh can be used over a course of 24 hours as you can recap it the off brands it's a one shot deal per vial. 

How's your balance?  If you didn't wake up w/ facial paraylsis then I wouldn't worry too much about it.  I woke up with facial numbness with slight asymmetry which the numbness is still there but the asymetery only happens if I'm really exhausted.  Some have gotten some facial issues about 10 days to 2 weeks out from swelling. 

It took me months before I could sleep on my surgical side and my head is still tender but not like the pull your hair too tight from the ponytail thing anymore. 

The best thing you can do is to walk and challenge yourself as much as you can.  Crossword puzzles word finds, games etc...sounds to me like you're doing great!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 05:38:33 am »

To Kymera:

WOW !!  Ten days out & you sound great !!!
     Good for you !!!  Glad to hear you're doing well.

I had major balance issues, dry eye, etc.   Unfortunately have the facial paralysis.

Best advice is to get plenty of rest (Don't fight your body if it wants to nap)
      Go for walks (weather permitting); a good balance exercise is to close your eyes & slowly turn your head side to side (have something ready to grab onto in case of                    extreme dizziness).
       No straining (I was on Colace 100 mg twice a day for 6 weeks, & Zantac twice a day for the upset stomach).
       Like Batty said, Eye drops/lubricant for the dry eye (if you have that problem).
       My headaches were real bad for about 3 weeks.  Took extra strength Tylenol.

Well, if you have any problems, call the docs, check in with us, keep us posted.

Again, wishing you all the best,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Obita

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 09:15:09 am »
Hi Kymera:

Welcome!!

You sound like you are doing very well.  Congrats on that.

The only suprises I had (actually I shouldn't have been suprised, I was told both might happen) were my eye quit closing all the way about day 12 and late onset paralysis set in a little.  It was no big deal but I was dissapointed as the first 12 days were a breeze.

I used lacrilube for the eye at night and whenever I didn't need to read or watch TV.  It makes your vision blurry for a while.  Thick drops worked when I was out and about. 

The late onset paralysis amounted to a numb cheek and lips.  It was a challenge to drink, expecially out of a soda can. 

Nap when you want and you will be yourself again in no time.

Good luck,  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Pembo

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 09:25:54 am »
Things sound great for you. Consider a visit to an OT or PT for a little massage to your neck. It helped me tremendously.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

moores

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 09:05:41 am »
You are doing great My translab for 1.9 cm was on January 8 at House and I could see a turning point at about two weeks in terms of energy. I have temporary facial paralysis that is already starting to come back. As others have said, use eye drops and I wear a clear patch sometimes to keep the moisture in. It is a constant effort to keep my digestive track moving along but it sounds like you've got that covered.

Walk, walk, walk... I missed two days and can tell my balance is worse.

I had the BAHA screw inserted at surgery time and am so looking forward to being able to hear again out of my right ear. I had to make that decision in about three hours before surgery but I'm so glad I did.

If you do experience some facial weakness, have confidence in what your doctors tell you about it returning.

Best wishes are going out to you for a good recovery.j

Also, I've noticed that the first two weeks after surgery when we were in sunny LA  went so quickly but now home in snowy Iowa, time is standing still. Fred is back at work, we just became empty=nesters and I'm having to work hard to stay focused and positive!

Take care,

Susan
Translab on 1-8-07 by Drs. Friedman and Schwartz for 1.9 mm tumor at House Ear Clinic
SSD in right ear with Baha implant
Some facial paralysis on right side but getting better!

Kymera

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 05:45:25 pm »
Thanks for your replies and well wishes.  I am doing very well.  I had a 2 week follow-up this week, and my surgeon and otolaryngologist were very pleased with my progress.  I only have slight facial weakness, so my right eye it slightly tougher to close when winking, but blinking is no issue. My energy level fluctuates as do the headaches and dizziness, but hopefully the new drug regimen that they provided will help with those and the other issues I'm having.

I am curious about the hearing aid options.  I had forgotten to ask my ENT about that when I saw him for the follow-up.  Moores I thought translab was 100% hearing loss, so I'm curious what the BAHA screw will do to help you hear out of your right ear, assuming that was the affected ear.  Anyway, I wish you the best of luck on your recovery. 

Boppie

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 08:33:59 pm »
Kymera, look at the Threads for BAHA to learn lots about the bone conduction aid with a screw post implant. 

For the 100% hearing loss after Translab you have three aid options.  An air conduction wireless aid (CROS sends sound from the pic up worn on the deaf ear, across to the good ear), a BAHA (Bone implanted Hearing Aid conducts through the skull via the post and processor worn on the affected side), and a TransEar (conducts sound via the bone in the ear canal and skull, worn in the affected ear canal)  All three aids send the sound to the good ear.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 08:46:10 pm by Boppie »

redgrl

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 01:56:29 pm »
Just take your time with recovery kymera. You sound good now but things will definetly get better. My energy levels were all over the place. I had hot flashes really bad. If i was active at all i would start dripping in sweat. Thanks goodnes thats all gone. Get plenty of rest and take care of that eye. :)
4 cm left side AN. Translab Sept 20th 06 at virginia mason w/Dr. Backous & Dr. Nussbaum. Second surgery Oct 15th 06 to repair CFS leak.