Author Topic: Dr. Sahni in Richmond,VA  (Read 7508 times)

jason1

Dr. Sahni in Richmond,VA
« on: January 18, 2007, 08:51:50 pm »
Has anyone been seen by Dr. Sahni at CJW medical center in Richmond? I'm told he is a very experienced AN neurosurgeon (25 years) performing all surgeries and GK, but would like to hear from someone who has seen him and been through his surgery. I am currently scheduled for translab surgery Feb 19th.

Also, my neurotologist is Dr. Wayne Shaia. Any experience with him?
2 cm AN found Dec 2006; hearing loss with tinnitus for 12 years and balance issues prompted MRI; translab surgery Feb 2007 with Dr. Sahni and Dr. Shaia in Richmond, VA.; July 2009 CSF leak developed (clear liquid through nose) requiring repeat surgery to repair

Obita

Re: Dr. Sahni in Richmond,VA
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 08:52:05 pm »
Hi Jason:

I can't help with Dr. info out your way but I wanted to say hi and welcome to the forum.

I had translab at the University of Minnesota in May '04.  Other than deaf in the left, I am as good as new.

If you have any pre or post surgical questions, ask away. 

Good luck, Kathy

Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Rick Everingham

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 11:31:04 am »
Jason,

I was operated on by Dr. Aristides Sismanis and Dr. Shia in Jul 2003 for an AN via translab at the Richmond VA hopital.  I was very pleased with with both of them and had a very good outcome.  Please feel free to email it you woul like more details.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 05:15:44 pm by Rick Everingham »
1.5x1x1.2cm AN surgically removed by Tans Lab Jul 30, 2003, McGuire VA Hospital in Richmond, VA.

jason1

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 09:04:23 pm »
Rick, did you have Dr. Shaia the father (Fred) or the son (Wayne) for your surgery?
2 cm AN found Dec 2006; hearing loss with tinnitus for 12 years and balance issues prompted MRI; translab surgery Feb 2007 with Dr. Sahni and Dr. Shaia in Richmond, VA.; July 2009 CSF leak developed (clear liquid through nose) requiring repeat surgery to repair

Rick Everingham

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 05:15:28 pm »
The son, Wayne.
1.5x1x1.2cm AN surgically removed by Tans Lab Jul 30, 2003, McGuire VA Hospital in Richmond, VA.

lori78

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 09:30:17 pm »
I've had same docs around same time as u.  Would love to hear ur experience.
Lori, Left AN,  2 translab surgeries and GK radiation, 3.5 cm x 3.5 cm, Dr. Singh Sahni and Drs Fred and Wayne Schia, Chippenham Johnston-Willis, Richmond, VA. Deaf in left, temp paralysis post surg 1/07

Rick Everingham

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 09:28:47 am »
Lori, is that question for me or Jason?

lori78

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 03:36:56 pm »
Jason.  Either!  :)
Lori, Left AN,  2 translab surgeries and GK radiation, 3.5 cm x 3.5 cm, Dr. Singh Sahni and Drs Fred and Wayne Schia, Chippenham Johnston-Willis, Richmond, VA. Deaf in left, temp paralysis post surg 1/07

jason1

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 02:20:29 pm »
Lori,
Sorry for the lateness of my response. I just got back from my 6 month checkup with Dr. Sahni and so far so good! A small piece of tumor was left on the nerve to avoid damaging the nerve so I go back in 1 year to make sure it is not growing again.  I have had a very positive overall experience with Dr. Sahni (and Dr. Shaia).  One of the best things about working with Dr. Sahni is that he performs both the surgery options and the gamma knife option so he was not bias toward any one treatment approach during our original consultation. He likes to gauge the personal preference of the patient and tailor the treatment option based on their needs and wants. The staff a CJW hospital was also excellent with my recovery care.  I was not anticipating how stiff I would be after my surgery (which was long at 12 hours) and how much physical help I would need the first 7-10 days getting around.

I've also spoken with another patient of Dr. Sahni who recently had surgery at CJW this year to remove a much larger acoustic neuroma than mine. A couple weeks ago he did have to go back for a Gamma knife follow-up which he said was very easy. He has been happy with Dr. Sahni also.

Have you already had your surgery?

Jason