Author Topic: Baha costs  (Read 13894 times)

LID

Baha costs
« on: January 17, 2007, 06:22:13 pm »
Hello all-

I am back after a long absence but need some help. I had a removal on 4-4-06 with a BAHA implant. The results have been just great.
My insurance covered all except the BAHA portion. I feel that my payment to House for the surgical portion of $3883 was reasonable. I also feel that the cost of the device @ approx. $4000 was reasonable. However, I feel that the hospital billing of $14,389.00 for the BAHA implant and screws is exhorbitant. The remainder of the billing from St. Vincent's (LA) was $60,000. This was covered by my insurance.
Can any of you share with me what your cost for the BAHA surgery was (hospital portion only)?

Thanks -  Lynn
FSR Radiation @ JHU May 2000
2.1 cm removal  with BAHA inplant April 4 2006
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: Baha costs
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 07:56:21 am »

I dont remember the costs exactly .. but those numbers sound right .. are they expecting you to pay the difference? or just taking what they get from insurance?

4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

LID

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 01:43:42 pm »
St. Vincent hospital is asking me to pay all of what my insurance did not pay. This totals $14,389.00. This represents only the BAHA implant, mesh and screws. It does not include the processor or any surgeons fees.
This seems very high. Anyone else have any input?

Lynn
FSR Radiation @ JHU May 2000
2.1 cm removal  with BAHA inplant April 4 2006
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 02:28:38 pm »
Hi Lynn and Joe,

Based on what you note and some other reading I have done here, would it be a fair assumption that BAHA is not covered by most insurance plans?  Same for TransEar?  Just curious.

Thanks.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 06:55:41 pm »

so your insurance is not paying ANY of the BAHA surgery costs? normally one gets stuck with the 4,000$ processor itself .. but insurance picks up the tab for surgery .. talk to your doctors , they may be able to help... they can stress with that the BAHA needed for because of single sided deafness ...
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

1wareagle

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 03:58:03 pm »
I got my Blue Cross & Shield totals from all the bills today and nothing is detailed out from the doctors or the hospital for me to see the exact cost of my BAHA. But they must have paid everything except the deductable and out of pocket expense. The total surgery and BAHA was $140,000.00 and my part was $3,100.00. Elllis
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)

Nancy T

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 11:18:14 pm »
My neurotologist here in Portland told me the surgery and processor altogether would cost in the neighborhood of $20,000 (done in the hospital).

My insurance doesn't cover it, and I can't afford it.

I don't have an acoustic neuroma but had a severe sudden hearing loss on the left and would be a BAHA candidate.

Nancy T.
Sudden sensorineural hearing loss, left side, 1999 (no acoustic neuroma)
Baha Intenso, 2008

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 04:54:20 pm »
Am considering a BAHA in early 2008.  I've talked to my insurance company preliminarily about coverage.  Their position, like most providers, is that they don't cover hearing aides.  I explained that the BAHA is not your average hearing aide - it is an implant.   They didn't guarantee coverage, but did tell me that they cover Cochlear implants so they say they will tentatively cover the BAHA.  It was suggested that as I get closer to surgery I should ask the doctor to submit more info on the BAHA and explain why I need it, as opposed to the Cochlear; at that point they will tell me if they'll cover it.

I'm from Illinois (Chicago area) and have heard that just the BAHA device can run as much as $20,000 - $24,000.  Does anyone know if this is correct?  From the postings I've just read, that seems very high.

I know there are other costs associated with the implant - outpatient facility, doctor fees, anesthesia, etc.   Could it be that the entire procedure, device included, goes for $20,000 to $24,000?
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Boppie

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 09:16:31 pm »
That price for the implant surgery plus device sounds close to total amounts I have heard.  The device is not $20,000.

Sam Rush

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 11:15:56 am »
My Ins paid for surgery, but not the hardware. I had to pay $4000.00  before I could leave with it.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007, 09:12:27 pm »
Thanks for the input on the BAHA costs.  I figured if insurance covered it, it would include the cost of the device as well as the surgery, but I guess not, huh?  Sounds like I'll be paying approximately $4,000.

New question.  My surgeon and I have discussed the BAHA, but not the TransEar - which I was unaware of until I  read about it in this forum.  Can someone please tell me why you would have a BAHA vs a TransEar other than the obvious fact that one requires a surgery and one does not?

Thanks.
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Laurie

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 08:15:57 am »
I had a Baha implant January 3, 2007.  My insurance paid for the Dr., hospital and implant and almost the entire cost with the exception of a few hundred dollars.  They did not pay for the device which cost $4200.  I have been appealing this non payment.  Why would they pay for the implant, dr and hospital and not the device?  The implant is pointless without the device.  I am not giving up on them paying and I will keep appealing this decision.  The cost for your surgery seems high to me.  I looked through my paper work and could not find the cost, but I don't remember it been that costly.  If you feel you are being overcharged you need to work with your insurance company as much as possible.  I will continue to look for the charges and if I find them I will email back.
Has anyone had their insurance pay for the attachment?

Laurie

Pat

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 06:09:24 pm »
Lynn,
 My Doc said the Baha surgery would run about $20,000 . I assumed that would be at UVA also.
I`ve decided not to go that route
hang in there Pat
AN diagnosis 6 20 2007
2cm..... left side S.S.D.
"Wait / watch" right now
L.Fredrick Lassen , M.D., F.A.C.S.
Suffolk, Va.

"Attitude......the difference between an ordeal or adventure"