Author Topic: It's gone!!  (Read 6850 times)

tcrnko

It's gone!!
« on: January 16, 2007, 10:41:11 am »
Well, I've been bantering on this site for about 7 months, pretty much since my diagnosis.  Got lots of information, Hopefully I offerd some too.  I have partaken in conversations about why and when and how and how does anyone knkow what is right.

Bottom line -

My tumor was removed on wednesday morning the 10th of January at kaiser San Diego.  The team of Mastrodamas and Cueva were great.  The care was as I expected it would be.  I was released to home on Saturday morning.

My hearing had decompensated so much that the retro-sigmoid approach was changed to trans-lab.  They wouldn't do the tummy-tuck here either, I asked.
I was first case.  Woke in the PACU. was awake long enough to transfer to the ICU bed then back to sleep. 
Only had problems with nausea.  Dizzyness was just slightlly worse than pre-op.  Codiene makes me sick and vomiting is not fun after brain surgery.
Ate some that night.  Transferred to Med Surg on Thrusday night.  Pressure dressing off on friday morning and I got to shower(a gift from heaven).
Came home saturday after the nurses figured that I was disconnecting my IV to go to the bathroom the reconnecting it without help.

I have great facial nerve function.  No current identified deficit.  I do have a metalic taste in my mouth, but it is less today than it was yesterday, so I am hopeful it is going.

Overall I feel great.  a little less energy than pre-op, but able to get up and do what I want.  Cooked myself breakfast this morning.

I told my sister the other night that I wouldn't recommend this surgery for fun and recreation, but I have no complaints about my care, my surgical team,my outcome.  As far as I am concerned,  this was a top rate experience.
"Used to be a Neuro Nurse, Believe it or not."
1.8 x 1.6 x 1.7 AN Left Side
TransLab on 1/10/07.
Drs Mastrodonas & Cueva, Kaiser San Diego

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: It's gone!!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 11:04:27 am »
Thrilled to hear you are doing so well... and sending wishes for continued speedy recovery! 

...and sorry to hear about the tummy tuck... had I known, we could have offered up a "volume discount" approach to that request :)

Hang in there! Onward and upward to continued wellness!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 11:06:58 am »
Congratulations!  Your recovery sounds a lot like mine.  May it only get easier for you each day now!  It's wonderful to hear of yet another great outcome.

Continued rest!   ;D

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

WHWT

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 07:40:05 pm »
Wow!  Great story.  You were home in no time and you sound terrific!  It's so nice to hear good news!
Retrosigmoid suboccipital surgery for 1.3 cm AN in 2005.

Obita

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 07:54:24 pm »
Hi tcrnko:

Ain't it great so say it is OVER?  I was so flippin happy to be home and have that experience behind me!!

Thanks for checking in.  It is so great to hear the good stuff.

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

redgrl

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 08:36:07 pm »
Great story! Nice to here others doing well! I did the same thing with my PIC line i had. I would unplug it to go to the bathroom and the nurses would get so mad." Your not suppose to get up with out help!" Makes me chuckle still.  :)
4 cm left side AN. Translab Sept 20th 06 at virginia mason w/Dr. Backous & Dr. Nussbaum. Second surgery Oct 15th 06 to repair CFS leak.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 03:46:48 pm »
YAHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I LOVE TO HEAR GREAT OUTCOMES,    WAY TO GO !!!!!!!!

WISHING YOU CONTINUED HEALING & A SAFE JOURNEY,        Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Catflower

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 04:36:47 pm »
It was great to hear your positive news about surgery.  It really helped my anxiety as I am facing it soon (will know for sure when on January 22 when I see the surgeon). 

Linda in WV

donna lee

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 04:35:45 pm »
Hi tcrnko;

I am very glad to hear you are doing well and hope that you are continuing to progress post-operatively.

I was just diagnosed Jan. 19 at Kaiser in San Diego with a 1.4cm AN. My only symptom is slight hearing loss in my (L) ear. I'm considering my options at this time. I was very pleased to hear that you were happy with your care by the surgeons at Kaiser. At this point I have only met the head and neck surgeon, Dr. Battaglia, who gave me my diagnosis. He stated that if I did want surgery it would consist of a team of 3 surgeons, himself and 2 others. I presume the surgeons you had would be the ones who would operate on me, if I chose that route. I will see him again in a month and ask him at that time. Currently, I'm still in a state of shock--I don't like the idea of my tumor enlarging and causing more problems, but I'm also not to thrilled about the potential complications related to surgery. The radiosurgery doesn't sound to appealing due to the uncertainess of what the future holds. It also has its own risks. I am sending my MRI to HEi for a consult.

I would aprreciate any insight you might give me, since you also dealt with Kaiser.

Thanks, Donna Lee
1.4cm diagnosed 1/19/07--undecided on treatment, weighing all my options.

Mark

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 05:10:47 pm »
Donna Lee,

I would encourage you to explore radiosurgery more completely , and outside of Kaiser, as you start your AN journey. I was also diagnosed by Kaiser in Northern CA , but fortunately was able to switch out into a PPO for my AN treatment. Kaiser does not do radiosurgery and they typically do not have docs that understand it very well. In Northern CA, Kaiser does have an Agreement with Stanford and people do get treated there if they insist on it. Last statistics I saw had both treatment options at about 50/50 nationally and at 1.4 cm , radiosurgery will have a much higher probability of saving a usable hearing level, if that is a goal for you.

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

amymeri

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 05:46:18 pm »
 ;DCongratulations on such a wonderful success!
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

tcrnko

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 05:54:27 pm »
Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement.

Now, on the 30th, I am still doing very well.  Dizzyness is almost gone, just barely there when I move to fast.   Staples gone and wounds are hardly noticable.  At my post op the PA told me I am months ahead of the game with the healing process, but was hesatent to tell me I could go back to work early.  i was shooting for 4 weeks, they are standing by 6.

Again, I am very happy with Kaiser and who things worked out for me.  I would recommend Cueva and Mastrodimas to anyone.

This has been and interesting journey, I'll keep in touch and keep notes for the "book".
"Used to be a Neuro Nurse, Believe it or not."
1.8 x 1.6 x 1.7 AN Left Side
TransLab on 1/10/07.
Drs Mastrodonas & Cueva, Kaiser San Diego

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 06:22:28 pm »

YEEEAAAAAHHHH   AGAIN !!!

Hey buddy,  don't be in such a rush to get back to work,
 6 weeks is quick, but if you're feeling good... 
 you must really love your work !!!!!

I went back after 8 weeks & wish I waited a few more months !!!!!
 (Woe is me.... working 5 months now, & I need a vacation !!)

Great news,    Nancy

2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 05:24:19 pm »
Congratulations!!! It is so wonderful to hear when someone has a good experience.  Don't take things to fast and get the rest your body needs.  So glad to hear you are doing so well.
BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 10:59:39 pm »
AWSOME- it's great to hear about Great Surgical Outcomes. Good for you- take care, Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys