Author Topic: Passing out....or almost......  (Read 14907 times)

Denise

Passing out....or almost......
« on: January 15, 2007, 10:45:14 am »
i live in Minnesota, we got 2-3 inches of snow last nite in my area.  This morning when I was cleaning off the car, walking around it and brushing snow off.  All of a sudden my ears felt full, and my head started spinning, then I started seeing spots in front of my eyes. I made it back into the house, but i am pretty sure i was only seconds away from passing out.  I only had this happen once before since my initial surgery, when I was working out at the Y. 

Has anyone else experienced this?  Kind of scared.

Denise
4+ cm, left side
translab 5/9/2005
CSF leak repair 6/23/2005
platinum weight in left eye 11/9/05
12/7 nerve switch 8/3/06
Univ. of MN Drs. Levine/Haines

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Passing out....or almost......
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 10:51:39 am »
Ok, Denise.....

We are walking barometers, as you know... especially with the recent weather issues the States have been experiencing.  I'm on a 2-day migraine fun with the weather fronts moving through New England now....

Based on what you note, while you were actively cleaning off the car, your heart rate went up due to the "body exertion".  If your head was spinning and you were seeing spots, I have to ask you this. When was the last time you had a regular physical?  You know, heart rate, cholesterol checked, blood pressure, etc etc etc.  Maybe a physical is in order to just make sure everything is fine.. and I know it will be but it may help bring you peace of mind.

Just a thought....and sending you MAJOR huggles! :)
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 11:14:27 am »
Have you  noticed any heart irregularities?       Any palpitations,fast heart rate,skips.        Occ a near syncopal epidsode can be a heart problem.        Might be worth checking out if it happens again or you have felt an abnormality.
        We got 4" of the white stuff in central Iowa and sure glad we don't have the ice that farther south had.
                      Hopefully you won't have any more spells.               Cheryl R.
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Denise

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 11:29:55 am »
Last physical was my pre-op for my 12/7 surgery in August.  I suppose I had better call my GP, huh?
4+ cm, left side
translab 5/9/2005
12/7 nerve switch 8/3/06

tony

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 12:56:30 pm »
I hope your weather improves !
With a 4 cm OP - some damage or interference with the balance nerve
is not unusual - the effects are more noticeable when the balance is
pushed or stretched in some way
(moving on or shifting snowdrifts definately counts here)
Frankly some of us simply forget how to move carefully
(I number 2-3 doorway colisions daily - wake some mornings
so many bruises you  might expect Tysons involvement)
Equally you may tire or fatigue more quickley
- certinally blood sugar/fluid level  is now more critical than it was
You may need to take extra care here.
Meantime by all means check with the Doc, and keep an eye on any
further changes
Best regards
Tony

Obita

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 08:57:25 pm »
Denise:

I hope you called your doctor.

I passed out once post-an but pre-hysterectomy durring a hot flash.  You know, it just could be.........I know you don't want to hear it but........ ;D

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 07:32:33 am »
Well,
this is embarrassing (kinda funny too),
but I passed out while taking a 'poop'(once when I was a kid & again as an adult !).
dr. said it was from 'vagus nerve stiimulation'.

ps.  i know, too much information....sorry
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 07:46:26 am by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 08:52:06 am »
Denise,
  I passed out about two months before being diagnosed with an AN.  I had just finished a pickup basketball game, and was standing on the sidelines.  When you have a "syncopal episode", the doctors like to do a heart and circulatory system workup.  At this point it's hard to say whether it was some odd affect of the AN or some other issue.
  We've all heard about many odd affects of AN.  And many of them are an affect of AN.  But it's also all to easy to attribute just about anything to AN, when it may have just been serendipity.  Having AN doesn't preclude having other unrelated conditions.
  When sometihing like almost passiong out happens, it never hurts to have it checked out by a doctor to rule out some major problem.
Regards,
 Rob   
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 03:36:08 pm by HeadCase2 »
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Denise

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 10:07:16 am »
Thank you everyone for the comments/suggestions.  I did call my GP, and have an appt with him this afternoon.  I will let you know tomorrow, what he has to say.

Thanks, again,
Denise 8)
4+ cm, left side
translab 5/9/2005
12/7 nerve switch 8/3/06

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 10:14:34 am »
Great news Denise... hang in there and please keep us updated. If your GP does labs (ie: bloodwork, etc), I know it will take a little time to get the results, so serving you up a virtual martini to help in the meantime.

Huggles!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Battyp

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 10:31:00 am »
Denise I think you and kathy should move to FL to forgo any further snow moving and passing out!  I just got a call this morning that the blood pressure problems I had right after surgery are back :o(  My cholestrol is up so back to on the meds I thought I shed.  Hopefully it's nothing and if it has to be something it's a minor something!  Keep us posted.

Denise

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 11:50:32 am »
Michelle,
I am sure my little Chihuahua, Chloe, would definitely prefer FL to MN. Not so sure about myself, don't do well in hot weather. Grew up in TN and the humidity was unbearable in Jul/Aug. My family still lives there, i just don't visit in Jul/Aug months.
Denise
4+ cm, left side
translab 5/9/2005
12/7 nerve switch 8/3/06

KerriLynAngel

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 09:31:53 pm »
dear denise i frequently feel wibbly w/ pressure like im gonna pass out or fall down. some kind of pressure and sound happens in my head . most times it happens when i physically exert myself. sound in a particular environment is also a trigger and some times just the movement of turning my head toward my left( the an side) can cause faitness and or nausea. i never had this pre translab but im learning to deal with it by always being really careful to watch my environment and activity. if i feel  like i'll fall down i sit down nomatter where i am. it works when things start getting a little dim around the edges.it also limis the bruises. i dont know if this is a balance issue or tinnitus  or eye thing or maybe a combo of any or all. i moved from the state i  formerly lived in and no longer have a doctor or medical insurance  so... i'll have to wait til oct 2007 to be eligible for medicare under the ssd rules. i'd love it if you let me know what your doc says cuz it scares me on a bad day too. thanks and i hope all goes  well for you and this just goes away.

Denise

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 07:05:23 am »
Good Morning.
My GP says my blood pressure is a little too high, 150/90, so he put me on blood pressure medicine.  It is a low dose that I am supposed to take everyday, I am also supposed to get some exercise, and watch my sodium intake.  I have an appointment in 4 weeks for a recheck and during the 4 week period I am supposed to check my blood pressure. He recommends I purchase a blood pressure cuff. I didn't think to ask, but I suppose I can get that at Walgreens.

He said my in my past few visits my blood pressure was around 141/80 so he wasn't too concerned, but now he thinks we need to monitor it and get it under control. 

Denise
4+ cm, left side
translab 5/9/2005
12/7 nerve switch 8/3/06

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 07:22:41 am »
Denise,

I'm so thrilled you had this checked out and that your GP is being proactive in keeping an eye on your BP..... let's hope things (ie: lightheadedness, etc) will ease now.

Sending healing huggles that all will be fine now. :)

xo
Phyl