Author Topic: Anyone using VoiceIP/Chat with voice programs online?  (Read 7309 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Anyone using VoiceIP/Chat with voice programs online?
« on: January 12, 2007, 01:57:19 pm »
Hi all,

Well, to save on phone bills, Iain (CB) and I use Skype.  This way, we speak on microphone and also use webcam (not necessary) to speak to each other at no charge (the only charge is your monthly internet access bill).

So, noted it to Lorenzo.. and we have "Skyped" together and chatted.  The ability to hear his voice and chat about our CK and our AN's and our daily lives really helps. 

So, figured I'd ask you all if any of you use a voice chat program. I know Yahoo YIM offers voice, but the quality is ... well, let's just say... it certainly lacks for today's available technology.

FYI... you can do conference calls on Skype, so if there are a few of you out there that use it, you can conference call many of the AN'er's here.

So, this is not an ad for Skype (www.skype.com), BUT, a possible thought for us to use it so we can "chat" online with use of microphone and (possible) webcam.

Thoughts?

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Lorenzo

Re: Anyone using VoiceIP/Chat with voice programs online?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 02:08:03 pm »
Great idea!
It works, it's fun, it's free and a lot better than sitting and typing, most of the time. :) In fact, even a quiet guy of few words like me can enjoy it!  :D
But, best of all, it brings us together and closer and makes the entire thing more real. I certainly liked Skyping, sure made me feel a lot more part of a wider community, and not so isolated. Also, I just like making new friends, makes something good come out of this AN.
I still love to use MSN with my regular friends that don't have Skype, but it is an incredible addition and I'm sure it would work well for conference calls!
Good idea Phyl!!
Ciao

Lorenzo

redgrl

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 02:22:27 pm »
I use Skype with my family since they are far away from me. It works great!
4 cm left side AN. Translab Sept 20th 06 at virginia mason w/Dr. Backous & Dr. Nussbaum. Second surgery Oct 15th 06 to repair CFS leak.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 04:28:35 pm »
I just downloaded the program, but I need to get a mic I guess.  We have Vonage phone so I never think about long distance  because even alot of countries in EUrope are free to call.  I will see how I like this though.  Always willing to try something new and different.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 09:25:44 pm »
I have a brand new mic in a box :o)  Do you have to voice train the program phyl? 

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 09:28:59 pm »
I have a brand new mic in a box :o)  Do you have to voice train the program phyl? 

nope :)

If you download skype, then once done, you launch the application and add names of folks that also use it. When you see them online (much like yahoo or MSN or AOL buddy list), you can then "call" them.... very easy to use and good quality.

If we can get Capt'n Deb to do this, she won't have to stick her head out a window anymore to get a good mobile phone connection! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

marystro

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 10:24:43 pm »
I use Skype (and MSN, Yahoo, etc.) all the time.  It's great that not only you can type or talk for FREE (computer to computer) but can also see each other if you'd like.  I use that to communicate using webcam with my brothers and nephews all over the world in addition to sometimes teleconference with mulitple people!  I LOVE IT!

Isn't technology great!!!

Phyl, Lorenzo - what are your skype addresses?
Mary
July 2006 - 22 x 18 x 20 mm
August 2006 - CK at Stanford by Dr. Chang/Dr. Soltys
February 2008 - 19 x 15 x 20 mm and stable
May 2009 - 17 x 14 x 18 mm

Lorenzo

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 11:56:09 pm »
Hi Mary,
Send me an e-mail and I give you mine! :D  This is great. And e-mail me yours while you're at it.
Ciao, Lorenzo
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 11:58:42 pm by Lorenzo »

Battyp

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 02:52:41 am »
oh goody I finally have a reason to take my headphone out of the box  LOL

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 09:15:54 am »
Mary,

You got PM with my skype....

...and battyone, dust off that mic and say hi... :)

Phyl

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 12:18:34 pm »

I dont have Skype ... but one of my projects are work -- the whole call center went IP phones ... and the best part of this is when it snows or someother reason agents have trouble getting in to work... they WORK AT HOME... all you need is a broadband internet connection and calls are routed from the call center thu the internet to your home! The call center NEVER needs to close because of snow again..  plus we have a group of people that work 100% at home ....

4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

marystro

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2007, 01:19:33 pm »
I work from home 60-70% of the time unless I have customers in town or major meetings that I have to be there.  Otherwise, conference calls, Skype, emails, cell phones are what I need to work...  Love it as I can work while I cook, clean, work with Alex on his homework, etc.  Many of my co-workers, customers are all over the world on different time zone anyway, it's a virtual office these days!  Totally integrating work and family life!!
Mary
July 2006 - 22 x 18 x 20 mm
August 2006 - CK at Stanford by Dr. Chang/Dr. Soltys
February 2008 - 19 x 15 x 20 mm and stable
May 2009 - 17 x 14 x 18 mm

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2007, 02:54:37 pm »
well, I got to Skype with marystro today and she even saw me in my pink, fluffy bathrobe on webcam!  Not 5 min after I Skyped with Lorenzo... and follks... his cam is working great and both, Lorenzo and Mary, look fab!  It really helped me be closer to them and we could discuss anything and everything.  Just Skyped with CB (he needs a face shave BAD as he's been letting his beard grow out).

Really a marvel that I can talk and see 3000 miles to my east (over the pond) and 3000 miles to my west (and mary, the Patriots ARE going to beat the Chargers tomorrow!)... and really helps me be closer to AN folks that I have not been able to meet face to face yet.

For me, I just love it.

Phyl

redgrl

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2007, 04:13:15 pm »
Im not trying to be a moron here but i use the skype phone. What is the Voice/IP? Is it a mic for computer? :-\
4 cm left side AN. Translab Sept 20th 06 at virginia mason w/Dr. Backous & Dr. Nussbaum. Second surgery Oct 15th 06 to repair CFS leak.

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2007, 04:46:33 pm »
Im not trying to be a moron here but i use the skype phone. What is the Voice/IP? Is it a mic for computer? :-\

Yes, using mic (and webcam, if want) over internet... like using a chat but we can use voice and webcam.