Author Topic: Which kind of Doctor follows your AN case?  (Read 8473 times)

kjmema

Which kind of Doctor follows your AN case?
« on: January 11, 2007, 08:52:27 pm »
I'm a watch and waiter  with a 3mm vestibular AN.  It was found while testing for other issues.   I had my first apt. with the ENT, and tomorrow I have the first apt. with a Neurologist.  I gather form the ENT that I've been the topic of discussion among the physicians.  At any rate the ENT said he has seen about 15 AN's in as many years of practice and simply informed me that HE would be following my case, ordering the MRI's and hearing tests every 6 months etc.  Frankly I didn't quite like his attitude and found that in some respects I was more knowledgeable than he was, thanks to the good folks on this site.  I actually corrected him twice and he said,  "Oh yea"    However I figure it doesn't much matter WHO orders the MRI.  If and when I have treatment it won't be here anyway.  SO the question is, which is better to follow one's progress, a neurologist or an ENT.  My hearing is 100% thus far.  I'm having a small amount of tinnitus and some slight dizziness.  This could be the effects of a class 2 concussion I suffered on Nov. 29th.  Not as heard headed as I thought, although my husband would not agree to that. 

So who do you have following your progress and does it really matter?  We have limited options in my city.  Also question no. 2.  Does an MRI show the entire brain stem or the area of the pituitary gland?  Do all head MRI's cover the same area or do some just home in on certain areas?

If it wasn't for you good people I would be so lost.  I went into that doctor with confidence, knowledge, and very good questions.  He slipped up twice.  Once he said, "hearing loss will be your first symptom."  I corrected him and pointed out that dizziness could be the first symptom due to the location of the tumor and even reminded him of the case he just described involving a dizzy lady.  "Well"  he said, "you can't order an MRI for everyone who is dizzy."  Then he wanted to send me to a surgeon in a large city and I told him I was already in touch with House and if and when surgery ever became an option I would go there.  He almost fainted.  LOL   Next I said I was leaning towards Radiosurgery if the tumor grew and he said,  "Oh yes, Gamma Knif."   I said perhaps Cyberknif to which he replied that they were just the same.   I just smiled and thanked God for this site and computers.   

Karen
left side AN 3mm IAC watch & wait hearing 100% balance slightly off

lmurray69

Re: Which kind of Doctor follows your AN case?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 09:10:13 pm »
I am so proud of you. I to had a very bad ENT also Nero doc. That is why I choice House, they did my surgery. I had radiation but it grew anyway. so i had it removed. Good luck. and you could choose either
one to waite and watch if that is your choice. Mostly they sent me to a neurosurgeon to watch mine but we didnt agree. when I was ready and not him .I chose where i went..keep up the good work..
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

Obita

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 06:33:23 am »
Hi Karen:

My ENT sent me to a Neurotologist.  They are the ones that actually do the surgery along with a Neurosurgeon.  Neurotologists are the experts on inner ear scull base tumors.  The Neurotologist referred me to the Radiation Oncologist for a consult.

While you are doing the wait and watch I would think an ENT could order the MRI's and inform you of the results.  If it starts go grow (or you start getting any more symptoms) and you think it is time for treatment or another opinion, I would go to a Neurotologist.  There is usually one at major medical centers and teaching hospitals.

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 07:31:41 am »
Since I have other medical issues that pre-existed prior to my AN (and Chiari 1) discovery, the following follow my medical case:

*2 Brain neurosurgeons (who, btw, recommended radio-surgery for me vs. them operating)
*CK radiologist and neurosurgeon (even long after CK treatment)
*Neuro-oncologist (even long after CK treatment)
*Primary care physician (who is the central focus for pain management, including all meds for balance, headaches, etc)
*Audiologist

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 02:09:16 pm »
Karen,

I went to an ENT who ordered my MRI, who sent me to another ENT who had more experience with AN's.  My surgeon was an ENT/Otologist who specializes in AN removal and Cochlear Implants.  A Neurosurgeon and my ENT assisted.  My followup has all been with the ENT.  MRI's are like vertical and horizontal slices of the area, so my ENT was able to show me most of my skull/brain area by scrolling through them with the mouse....it's pretty cool.  So I saw the area where the pituitary gland is, but it didn't go as far down as the brain stem.  Hope this helps!

Kathleen
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

amymeri

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 02:57:44 pm »
I am followed by both.  Since my tumor was large and mainly outside of the IAC, my main surgeon was my neurosurgeon.  Now I only see him annually, and he orders the MRIs.

However, I have facial paralysis and my ENT and neuro-ophthalmologist follow my facial paralysis issues.  I see them quarterly.

I have an ENT/Plastics MD in Boston who I see every few months, also for the paralysis.

I think with a small AN either kind of surgeon is fine to follow you...trusting their judgement is the bigger issue!  Pick the doctor you trust.
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 04:05:17 pm »
Karen:

In my case, I never saw an ENT.  My primary care physician was trying to determine the source for my presentation of weight loss (unintended), loss of taste and listlessness.   After a simple blood test ruled out his first guess - a thyroid condition - he sent me for an MRI with contrast, telling me that he expected to see a sinus problem of some kind.  Wrong. Instead, he saw a 4.5 cm Acoustic Neuroma tumor.  He recommended immediate surgery and referred me to a local neurosurgeon.  I was totally unimpressed by this particular doctor, who seemed almost intimidated by the size of my tumor and got evasive when I asked him how many surgeries of this kind he had performed in the past.  I was outta there - fast. 

Fortunately, the surgeon who had performed numerous spinal surgeries on my wife over the past 8 years - and whom she trusts - recommended a neurosurgeon in his practice who, he claimed, was an 'expert' on AN's and had vast experience in that speciality.  So he did.  Dr. Ike Goodrich (in his late 60's) had been surgically removing acoustic neuroma tumors for over 30 years and had performed literally thousands of operations of this type.  He was very respected by all the nurses at the hospital where he performs his surgeries (a true sign of a caring doctor who respects his co-workers) and my wife and I were impressed by his humility and his caring attitude.  It took us about 30 seconds to decide to engage him to perform the necessary microsurgery to remove my large tumor.

However, the good doctor surprised me a bit when he explained that in order to keep nerve damage to a bare minimum, he would not attempt to remove 100% of the tumor but would 'de-bulk' it, leaving the outside 'rim' (as he called it) which would, in my case, spare him possibly moving or cutting any facial/cranial nerves.  He further explained that about 3 months post-op, I would have FSR to kill the remaining tumor cells.  I saw his 'partner' - an experienced, confident younger physician - a radiation oncologist - who would work with the neurosurgeon to 'map' the radiation treatments I would be having.  Dr. Goodrich also brought in an assistant physician to monitor my facial nerves during the surgery to further avoid any damage.  I'm pleased to report that this was very effective.

Long story short: as my signature shows, I had both the surgery and the radiation as scheduled and everything went as planned.  I had only very mild symptoms post-op; no CSF leaks, dizzyness or other problems,.  I recovered rapidly.  In September, I began the FSR treatments which were about 15 minutes per day, 5 days per week.  They lasted for five weeks - and one day.  I did not experience any negative symptoms from the radiation.  I saw my neurosurgeon about 6 weeks ago, as scheduled.  He had ordered a 'new' MRI scan to give him what he called 'a baseline' to monitor the remaining tumor, over time.  I will have another MRI - and see my neurosurgeon again in April. 

My 'case' will be followed by the neurosurgeon who operated on me and to a lesser degree by my primary care physician (who saw me in November).  He just wants to 'keep an eye on me' - I'm in excellent overall health - but defers to the neurosurgeon for the real analysis and treatment recommendations.  This seems fair to me.  From what I've read here, some ENT physicians can be an obstacle to getting an accurate diagnosis via an MRI (with contrast, of course).  I'm confident that the neurosurgeon - a very dedicated physician - will not only be able to note any future problems quickly and accurately but will act on them, if necessary, with my consent, of course.

MRI scans usually cover all of the brain but in sections, so they can be a bit confusing for a layman.  At my initial consultation, my neurosurgeon showed me my scans and carefully pointed out the (very obvious - even to me) AN tumor and how it was beginning to compress the brainstem, which alarmed the doctor, although he kept a very calm, professional demeanor all the while.  He hand- measured the size of the tumor as we watched and said it had to come out, as soon as possible.  To make his point, he scheduled surgery for a week later but, due to complications (not AN related) that ensued from a 'false alarm' that I won't go into here, the surgery was not performed until two weeks later.  As I stated, it went well.  I'm one of the lucky ones, I guess.   :)

Jim

« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 02:38:09 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

kjmema

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 06:51:31 pm »
Thank you all for the reply's.  I LOVE this site and all of you.  I had my apt. with the Neurologist today and he was a lot more impressive than the ENT.  Since I have a facial and head numbness issue going he is doing some more testing for that.  B12,  Iodine,  and other blood work involving Thyroid etc.   As for the AN he ordered a Evoked Potential test and wants  to get another MRI in three months. His feeling is that  with the facial numbness and some balance issues I'm having he would feel more confident with a 3 month follow up.  Also any side effects from my concussion should be gone by then.  I liked that attitude. He also did not discount the probability that my dizziness/vertigo could be from the AN even though it is small.   Both doctors want to spirit me off to a neurosurgeon at Barns in St. Louis, (about 4 hours away).  Supposedly he is an expert but I told the doc. that if he could do the follow up in our smaller city that would be sufficient for the time being.  Any growth of the tumor and I'll head to St. Louis , at least for a consultation.   

In our city we don't even have some of the specialty doctors that have been mentioned so I'll probably have to travel in the future. 

So for now it's Me, the WWW,  This site, what is left of my brain and nerves and the neurologist......

As a side note.  I keep telling myself that I am totally cool with this.  My blood pressure is just text book normal and always has been and today when the gal checked it I was at 150/90.  I told her to recheck it as I was sure that was wrong.  She did and it was higher.  She just smiled and said, "Neurologists and stress go hand in han,   We see it all the time."   GADS. 

Thanks again for all the info.

Karen
left side AN 3mm IAC watch & wait hearing 100% balance slightly off

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 08:00:28 pm »
Sometimes I think maybe a vetrenarian might be best LOL

Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

amymeri

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 12:28:46 pm »
Karen

I had facial numbness as my only symptom of my 4cm AN.  It was compressing my trigeminal nerve.  I am betting this is what is happening with you also.

I am glad you like the NS.  It is always a relief to put yourself in the hands of a doctor you trust and respect!
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

redgrl

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 04:10:56 pm »
Hi Amy,
I see you had same size tumor as me but mine was removed translab. I also have partial paralysis. Have you seen any improvment? Sometimes i think i do but it's hard to tell. My face on the left side cheek was swollen for a really long time and when i wash my face on that side i have to be careful because it can be a lil painful above my lip,eye and cheek.
4 cm left side AN. Translab Sept 20th 06 at virginia mason w/Dr. Backous & Dr. Nussbaum. Second surgery Oct 15th 06 to repair CFS leak.

RosemaryL

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 01:36:09 pm »
I agree with Patti UT - most of what I know about many diseases came from my cats' vet ;-)  And she always takes the time to answer all my questions.  Alas, she has no experience with ANs.

But here's a related question:  I'd love to hear from people who are 5 years or more past treatment.  Do you still follow up with a neurologist or neurosurgeon?  When was your last MRI and visit?

Rosemary
1.5 cm right side AN removed by retrosigmoid approach, 12/1/98
Laligam Sekhar and Sanjay Prasad, George Washington Univ Hosp
deaf on right side, facial feeling and function fully recovered

Obita

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 03:13:40 pm »
I will be three years in May and I sure hope my Dr. and insurance co.  let me get MRIs every year for life.  It is my favorite time of year and also the most stressful....until I get the all clear letter, that is.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 04:30:57 pm by Obita »
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 02:33:52 am »
Late in one this one.....my regrowth was following by my neurosurgeon until he declined to do the surgery when I was ready, then I was followed briefly by the neurotologist until surgery. My neurologist was not involved once the regrowth was diagnosed.....it's a surgery issue and I think it should be the surgeon's domain.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Jeff

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 11:27:25 am »
I live in rural Wyoming (kind of redundant I guess ;)). I have to say that first, I see myself as the manager of my health. Since I have NF2, I have plenty to deal with. I have had 2 AN surgeries at two different facilities. After my first surgery, I decided to go to House for future treatment. I use a local (50 miles) ENT to order my MRIs and other tests that I need to have done locally. I use my hometown primary care physician to obtain copies of all reports. All results are forwarded to my Dr. at House, with whom I consult every 6 months or less.

I have to say that I am very thankful for doctors who really care about me and allow me to call the shots to some degree. Also, I am thankful for my insurance. I work for a school district that has self-funded insurance, so I can go wherever I choose for treatment.

Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08