Author Topic: I finally got a hearing date!  (Read 15563 times)

matti

Re: I finally got a hearing date!
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2007, 12:06:39 pm »
Throw me in the 5% :(  I can't return to my former occupation. Cognitive issues, balance problems and general wonkyhead. I've been through various therapies and consistently work at trying to help myself, will be 9 years in July. Luckily my husband makes enough to support us, I don't know what I would do otherwise.

Good luck Deb! Wish we could all be there in person to support you, wonder what the attorney's would think if they saw a group of pirates/wenches ;)

hugs,
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

tony

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2007, 01:18:46 pm »
Reply to the battyprincess
To some degree it depends on what you did before
(ok outdoor window painting might be out for now)
But look to your back ground or experiance to date
- and see if it can be developed forward
Could you set up your own business ?
One of the things I have noticed is I/we seem to get too
hung up on what we cant do - rather than investigate what we CAN do
Many companies now outplace a good % of the staff
so home work isnt quite so unusual.
Actually if you are going to throw money at it
- an hour with a good career councilor might be money better spent
($40-60 ?)
The outcome you are looking for is a clear direction ?
you may need help finding it
Best regards
Tony

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2007, 03:32:59 pm »
Captain Deb:

I explained your Social Security situation to my wife (who has been collecting SS disabilty benefits for over 6 years) and she suggested that if you are now taking (or can be prescribed) an anti-depressant drug and make your Social Security Disability claim on the grounds of 'depression' (due to chronic headaches) you would probably have a much better chance of receiving an award.  She also mentioned that her initial 'diagnosis' for SSD was for 'depression' based on her chronic, severe back pain.  It's sort of a 'back-door' method of 'working' the sometimes unfair SS system.   You claim 'depression'  - which is quite real for most folks suffering from long-term illness or pain - but the depression is based on the underlying physical problem, which is very, very real - but something that SS seems to want to avoid recognizing, for reasons I do not understand, as physical problems are generally much easier to verify than most mental problems, where a clinical diagnosis is the best any doctor can usually do - and even that can be highly subjective.

My wife also mentioned that before your upcoming hearing, a Physical Therapist will review your file and determine whether you are eligible for any kind of work, no matter how menial or detached from what you have worked at for years.  Social Security Disability rules require that you be 100% 'disabled' and unable to work at any job. They don't award partial benefits - it's all or nothing.  Either you are totally disabled and unable to earn a living or they refuse to grant you any benefits at all.  Again: go figure.

Please know that right along with everyone else here, I wish you the very best, Pirate Lady.  :)

Jim[/color]

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Battyp

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2007, 04:16:54 pm »
I am on antidepression mes, which was sited on my first two claims and they said I could still work.  When I asked the guy what he felt I could do so I could pursue that avenue I was told he had no idea.  Hmm...let me get this straight..the guy making the decision saying I can work can't tell me what he feels I can do.  Now does anyone else have a problem with this?  LOL

Tony I was a teacher (how's that for good grammar) I've done a variety of other jobs I've been trying to get skilled in areas that the job tester said I could do from home it just costs money I don't have so trying to get help through the govt which is taking forever.  I'm trying to stay optimistic that by this time next year I'll have my own company.  It's just a shame that there isn't better resources out there for people in our situation.  Not just AN wise but anyone  who's had an illness and is displaced from their source of employment.  I know a guy with a heart illness who's buying a franchise so he can work.  I don't have that kind of money :o(

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2007, 05:07:10 pm »
Jim,
Oh yeah--been on the happy pills for quite a while. Funny, though, since I started posting here and joined this looney bin of a cyber-family, my depression is a whole lot better! (Not telling the SS people that one for sure!) Chronic pain and depression do go hand in hand. 

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2007, 06:04:15 pm »
Good luck, Capt. Deb with your mission to get what you deserve. I didn't fare too well when I tried, but I figured it would be a losing battle for me anyway.  Right now all I'm doing is picking up some extra money by cleaning houses.  Then today, I go to work, and discover that my Wednesday morning lady died last Saturday night! Her son tried to call me but was unable to get through I guess. Somebody was on the computer.  Not a big surprise that she died as she was pretty ill. So now all i have is two ladies every other week.  Hmmm $60 every two weeks isn't a lot, but it's something.  I told myself if something happens to my Wed. lady that I would apply to where my daughter-in-law is working - Wells Fargo Collections, but now that I can, I don't know if I want to!!  Of course, applying for the job doesn't mean I'll even get an interview.  I am not sure if I can work in a call center. It's probably noisy.

Anyway, Cap't, I wish you the best of luck and hope that you will have a good outcome eventually.

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

jerseygirl

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2007, 07:13:35 pm »
Hello all,

There is an article today in medicalnewstoday.com reagrding women with chronic headaches and depression. Here is a link and I hope it works:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/healthnews.php?newsid=60505

Maybe, that will help.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Static

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2007, 07:47:00 pm »
Sue,l
I used to work in collections, it was fun!  I left that job because the place I was working for moved to another state.  I did have an office to myself which made things alot easier.  If I'm on the phone and there's alot of noise around me, I can't concentrate as well.  At first I didn't hear anything because of the SSD but then as my hearing ear started to work harder as time went on, I started hearing mostly background chatter and it was very distracting.  I also couldn't tell if someone was talking to me so they had to tap me on the shoulder to get my attention.  That isn't the best scenario when someone wants to talk to you while you are also on the phone.  No matter how much I told my coworkers I couldn't do that, they still tried and it was very frustrating.  Everyone is different tho so you might want to give it a shot if you can still keep the other job on the side.  I am currently in the same boat of working less hours doing a different job and making less $$ but nobody really cares.  It's just like the comment I still get ............ "well, you can hear in the other ear okay right?" goes right along with "but you are still working".  The act is taking place but the quality and/or quantity (depends on how you want to look at it) just isn't there anymore!  Ok, so that made sense to me, hope it makes sense to anyone else who reads it!
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

tony

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2007, 02:08:48 am »
Note to Battyprincess
I think you could still teach
If its done at home to your timetable - break the day up etc
So the real questions might be who are you going to teach
and what subjects ?, who might be in a position to pay for extra tutiion ?
Junior babysitting tends to be wasted (mainly fun) time
could you offer a kind of 11-15 type childminding that was
educationally based ? - something that the well-to-do concerned
parents would see as a benefit to the children ?
If you had 4-6 kids it would be very intensive learning for them
I wonder how many families where both work 9-6
- and the kids leave school at 3.30-4.30 ?
The key here is to look for the "gap"
what the market does not really provide well
A few thoughts for you
best regards
Tony
Maybe you you do the odd adult catch up class in the eve
to pad out the quieter days

Battyp

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2007, 12:01:02 pm »
Tony keep brainstorming.  :-*
I've thought of that and I've looked into it but...it's not enough income to pay my bills.  If I had supplemental income it would be doable depending on some variables.

I really think they key for me is obtaining a masters and trying to teach for an online university. 

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2007, 12:43:16 pm »
Thanks Karen for your input.  That helps to have any information from somebody else who has the same problems.  Maybe, if I can navigate their website okay, I'll apply.  I guess this shows my age, but I am not fond of applying for jobs on-line.  I'd rather do it the old-fashioned way!

Thanks,

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

tony

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2007, 12:54:14 pm »
OK last idea for now :
If I may  quote "In transition" from the Harvard Business School (pub stateside)
Basically it suggests you set up a board
( no salary, no financial input)
Simply 5-6 people you can trust who have skills in
Finance, business, teaching, sales, marketing, personnel etc
You approach each in turn - make it clear you are not asking for money
but from time to time you want their advice
Maybe buy them lunch ?
The idea is that when a good idea comes along they will
help you sort it from the trash - and help you invest your time wisely
Need to be able to trust them
- but not good friends or "Yes" men  - you need cool, clinical, heads
This will open the way to "Networking" which
is something you will need to learn to develop
Good luck
Tony
-

kat

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2007, 02:58:44 pm »
Hi Capn Deb

Respect !! Great work ! I really hope that you can keep on producing more ! Good luck with your hearing date . 

Best regards Kat
2.2 cm AN diagnosed July 2004 . GK at  the Royal Hallamshire
Sheffield UK in April 2005 2nd MRI in December 06 showed signs of the AN shrinking and MRI in FEB 08 showed no change . SO FAR SO GOOD .

lmurray69

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2007, 09:28:21 pm »
Capt Deb. Your work is beautiful. in the woods wow I could believe how real it looks. the rest are real great too..very proud of you.
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

redgrl

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2007, 09:46:51 pm »
I have been dealing trying to get disability also. Do you have any suggestions that may help? I have always worked and been on the go. I hate to have to try and get disabiilty but there is no way i can work and am not sure when i will be able to. My husband works alot of hours for Northwest Airlines and they took a pay cut right before my surgery so we barely make it by. So any suggestions in dealing with disability would be great.  :)
4 cm left side AN. Translab Sept 20th 06 at virginia mason w/Dr. Backous & Dr. Nussbaum. Second surgery Oct 15th 06 to repair CFS leak.