Author Topic: Beginning Stages of Research  (Read 14971 times)

donna lee

Re: Beginning Stages of Research
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2007, 11:36:08 pm »
WOW! This discussion has been incredibly informative for me. I was dx a couple of weeks ago with a 1.4cm AN. I have loss of high frequency hearing in my L ear, but have a great deal of usable hearing which I would like to preserve if possible.  My initial evaluation was with a head neck surgeon who gave me all the options with the positives and negatives. Today I spoke with Dr. Fayad at HEI, he also gave me all the options, but was very biased toward surgery and stated he thought that was the best way to go. I initially thought surgery was the best option for me, but after reading all these responses I'm not so sure now. I live in San Diego where there is a GK and CK facility.  I plan to check out both. It sounds like most everyone is going with CK--is there a particular reason for that?  From what I have read so far it sounds like  the CK may be slightly more accurate. Is this true from what most of you have heard? It sounds like GK has been around much longer.

Confused!

Donna
1.4cm diagnosed 1/19/07--undecided on treatment, weighing all my options.

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
Re: Beginning Stages of Research
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2007, 08:38:19 pm »
Hey Donna: hope you are well- I just got done with my first cyber knife treatment- and honestly it's like a body wrap at a spa- really I was so surprised at how relaxing the experience is.  The Cyber Knife is a machine that moves around you- but it's like a big gun on the end of a pedestal and the beam aims at your tumor. You are in complete open space and the only restraint you have is the cyber mask which is sheet of cotton/nylon fabric that looks like a fishnet stocking. The mask keeps your head anchored but it's not stiff- I was able to breath just fine and swallow just fine- and get this- they had Eva Cassidy playing in the background (she's a wonderful artist that does great covers and has a jazzy, bluesy somewhat rock feel)... I have 2 more treatment sessions to go- about 45 minutes each (38 minutes actually zapping, maybe 5 minutes setup).

Gamma Knife is great also from what little I know- but it does involve a head frame- however you only go once...

I think either option would be great for you- and if your insurance will pay for it- I would reccomend Stanford.  I went and had lunch, a glass of savingnon blanc and went shopping after my first treatment!  Take care, Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys