Author Topic: fix my face?  (Read 4278 times)

jen

fix my face?
« on: January 04, 2007, 03:18:39 pm »
Hi everyone, new here...must start off by saying how impressed i am with everyone's strength and more importantly sense of humour!  have been reading lots and lots of posts...you all sound like amazing people.  now that i think i have figured out how to use this thing...i have questions! (ofcourse).  I'm 29.  I had a 2.5cm tumor removed...they thought it was an AN, once they got in turned out to be a facial nerve tumor.  they left a sliver behind as to not damage my facial nerve too much...the doc said it is badly bruised and battered.  surgery was about 3 months ago.  i feel great...been back at work for about one month (yes, i know i'm lucky).  totally deaf in my right ear, can't taste a thing on my right side, facial paralysis, eye wide open!  Luckily, have mastered the balance issues without much difficulty.  SO, the biggest questions i have for you guys are re:facial paralysis...i just want to know your thoughts on accu puncture...or electrical stim...or physio?  a few muscles have started working again...the ones i use to puff on my cigarettes!  LOL.  but its true.  this tell me that physio would be a great way to get the other muscles moving again?  any in put would be appricaited.  i looked into accu puncture but one of the side effects was nerve damage?  i thought maybe that wasn't the best way to go...especially just because i am impatient! 
Again, you guys all seem like amazing people...just reading your posts cheers me up!!!  i've been checking this place out for months before my surgery...it really helped me through...  thanks, Jen

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: fix my face?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 04:43:47 pm »
hi jen and welcome! I just LOVE your energy and hope you are doing well! :)

I am not a micro-surgical patient, but I have a sneaky feeling that many will be able to chime in and maybe offer up some answers that you seek.  We tend to be that kind of folks around here (as you have figured out).

So, here's a hearty welcome to you, keep up that wonderful attitude of your's and cheering you on from my chaise lounge chair up on the Verenda deck! :)

Be well!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 05:31:54 pm »
  Hi Jen:

I have right facial paralysis, & 4 months post op had a facial EMG - showed only a 'small blip' at my chin,
   so, I'm scheduled for a repeat EMG Jan. 12.
  In the meantime, I started acupuncture in October(someone on the forum mentioned it helped her) after checking with my docs that it wouldn't cause harm.
  I still have no movement, but my 'worry line' came back on the right side ( I was glad to see it again  lol).

One month after the AN surgery, I had a gold weight put in my upper lid & they pulled the lower lid up to tighten (which helps protect the cornea) & for appearance sake.

If your eye is still wide open, & you haven't already, I'd look into the eye surgery ASAP, (at least make sure you get to an opthamologist for an eye exam ). You can get a             
  platinum or gold weight, or spring for the upper lid, a lateral tarsal strip for the lower.

I wish you well my friend,   Nancy
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 05:49:11 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Derek

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 05:46:01 pm »
Hi there Jen...

Being a 'wait and watcher' I cant assist with your queries but just wanted to say welcome to this 'exclusive club' and best wishes for a speedy and successful recovery. Your great sense of humour and your new 'family' will go a long way to helping you along the journey.

Best Regards

Derek
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

Raydean

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 06:29:08 pm »
Hi Jen

Please talk to your treating doctor about having a EMG test done in the near future.  This will tell you where and how much nerve response you have at this time.  It'll also be good to have as a baseline for comparision should you decide on a second  test later on.  It's easy to get caught up in the "hope for things" where as this will give you facts.  Whendiscussing various options with your Doctors be sure and ask how much expected "tone" is to gained, and how much "motion".  These are 2 seperate issues and sometimes Doctors will lump them together.

As another poster has mentioned please see your eye doctor regarding eye issues that can develope due to dryness from your eye being open.  You have a few options there to such as ointments, gold weights, moisture chambers.  It's something that you need to stay on top of. Again it's something you need to talk to your doctor about.  I don't know why, but sometimes Doctor's will wait for a patient to bring up a issue before they discuss it.  I'm the type that likes everything put out on the table. Eye problems such as damaging the cornea can develope due to eyes being wide open.  Please consider purchasing a good pair of sunglasses or clear plastic glasses to wear outside to protect your eyes.  Chet favors the style that wrapps around to the side of the head also.  Wind, cold, sunlight can be very drying.

If you have mouth numbness you will also want to see your dentist on a regular basis to stay on top of any dental problems that might come up due to dryness.  Sometimes the dentist will prescribe special toothpaste or rinses to better protect the teeth.  If there is a decrease in salivia
it could help lead to problems since salivia protects the teeth.

I wish you all things good and positive!!!
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.