Author Topic: My GK Update!  (Read 3708 times)

BusyBonnie

My GK Update!
« on: January 01, 2007, 03:38:49 pm »
I just wanted to let everyone know how I am doing after my Gamma Knife treatment last Wednesday. For the most part the headaches are gone. I have one today but over the counter meds seem to work just fine. Vertigo seems better but was improving before GK. The most amazing thing...

My hearing is better!! It still sounds like it's clogged but I can hear words!!!!!!!! It really is amazing. I don't know long term what will happen but for those of you considering microsurgery instead of GK or CK that have smaller tumors just keep my scenario in mind. I couldn't understand any words before GK in my bad ear and now I can hear all of them as long as it's not too noisy. I'm talking with my good ear plugged by my hand.

I've had some fatigue but I'm still out and about and had fatigue before GK. I'm really happy with my choice and just wanted to let everyone know.

Lana
Mother and wife.
2006 11mm acoustic neuroma.
GK Dec. 27th 2006 at SD Gamma Knife Center.
June 2007 MRI - No signs of necrosis.
April 9th 2013 - 13mm
Will be scheduling radiosurgery again

marystro

Re: My GK Update!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 04:16:03 pm »
Hi Lana,

I am so happy to hear of your success.  Only a few days after GK, you are already doing so great!!!  *happy dancing around :)*

It is a true testimony from you that radiosurgery does work for cases like ours!!

Happy recovery and best of 2007!

Mary
Mary
July 2006 - 22 x 18 x 20 mm
August 2006 - CK at Stanford by Dr. Chang/Dr. Soltys
February 2008 - 19 x 15 x 20 mm and stable
May 2009 - 17 x 14 x 18 mm

Sam

• I will Praise GOD in this storm !!!
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 04:31:04 pm »
Lana,
 Did I tell you so? I will agree, my hearing has also improved to some degree. I also am happy with my choice. I look at it like this. If the worse case scenario occurs, we still have option 3. Hopefully it will never come to that! I'm glad to see you are doing well, I have returned to beating myself into shape, hopefully by this time next year, I will be working in a higher level position, and running a mile and a half in 10:00 min.

Congratulations!!! and Happy New Year!
Sam
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 04:33:23 pm by Sam »
Diagnosed 4mm X 7mm Acoustic Neuroma Left side 09/23/2006
Gammaknife Healthsouth/Highland Medical Center 12/12/2006
                         UAB Gammaknife

Obita

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 07:57:57 pm »
Hello Lana:

I am so glad that it is done and you are feeling good.

When is your first post GK MRI?  I need to know how much time I have to prepare Fred's eulogy.

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 08:22:28 pm »
Lana,

what a nice way to start the new year... thank you hon for the update.  Please remember to listen to your body, if it decides to speak back (ie: fatigue, etc).  Day by day, inch by inch... and that dang AN will be dead in no time!

Continued wellness and hang in there! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

marystro

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 10:55:21 pm »
Hi Lana,

Just one more thought.  My understanding about radiosurgery effect is that it usually takes place after a few months.  I recall similar situation with me.  Before my AN diagnosis, my hearing was very muffled for a while.  Then it kind of "lifted" by itself as though the pressure just disappeared and I began to hear better even though it was still "clogged" a little.  These all happened before radiosurgery.  I was curious and asked several doctors what could have caused such scenario.  No one was able to provide me with a precise answer except House's Dr. Slattery who said it could have been the result of decompression of the inner ear.  Has anyone heard of "decompression of the inner ear"?

Regardless, it is still such a joyous occasion that you can hear from your AN side.  I know I felt so good when it happened.  Celebration in order!!!  Let me know when you are in Tierrasanta next time.  I would love to meet with you to celebrate!!! :D

Mary
Mary
July 2006 - 22 x 18 x 20 mm
August 2006 - CK at Stanford by Dr. Chang/Dr. Soltys
February 2008 - 19 x 15 x 20 mm and stable
May 2009 - 17 x 14 x 18 mm

Timjk

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 04:49:35 am »
Hi Lana,
          That is great news !!!  I have hearing loss in both ears due to NF2 tumors.
My first appointment is next Monday. From all I have read I am sure I will have to have microsurgery on the right side because of the size but I will definately ask about GK for the left side which is much smaller than the right. I am obviously not looking forward to total deafness because of this.
        Thanks again Lana for the report. It has given me something positive to hold on to.

Tim
Surgery Feb.7th at Moffitt,Tampa. Removed right side AN 3.3 CM plus Chiari Malformation decompression.Second surgery Feb.23rd Ventricle Periphirial Shunt to correct CSF leak.. NO HEARING LOSS.. NO HEADACHES... GOD IS GOOD !!!