Author Topic: Fosamax pills  (Read 8396 times)

Palace

• Palace
Fosamax pills
« on: December 31, 2006, 07:37:44 am »
 ???

Hello:

I have heard so much about Fosamax being the "horror pill," now........afraid to keep taking it.  What does anyone know about this pill?  I stopped taking it for a couple of months before Cyberknife.  Anyway, I just took my last pill and I might not refill the prescription.  (70 mg)  I had a dental implant when I broke my molar in half eating popcorn. (about eight years ago, I think.......something like that)  The implant is the last tooth, upper right.......near my Acoustic Neuroma.  Professionals are still discovering things about that pill.  There are problems if you are taking that bone-building-med and have say, dental surgery.  What kinds of problems are they running into?  It is all new to me hearing problems with the pill.  I have been taking it probably even when I had the implant!  It is a wonder I didn't get an infection with the extraction, from the buzz/talk going around about Fosamax.  I will call my dentist soon and ask but, they aren't there today and over the holiday weekend.  Does anyone know?  I'm sure anyone having invasive AN surgery, was told not to take that pill.

Any information on this would be interesting and appreciated.  My surgeon thought I might choose the invasive surgery since I was a AN borderline case but, I chose the Cyberknife and now back on Fosamax.  I have small bones!

Yes, I was wondering about tumors and Foxamax, etc.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL,  8)

Palace
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 11:44:23 am by Palace »
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Fosamax pills
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 08:02:24 am »
Pal,

Dr's have also noted Fosamax to me as well, but not on it... will monitor this thread to see what others have to say..... and, btw, also broke a molar on popcorn... nice "cap" in place of it now....

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 11:37:59 am »
Good topic...

I'd like to hear more on this subject.  Specifically, I'd like to learn about possible connections (if any) between tumors and Fosamax. 

I should be on Fosamax but have avoided taking it.  There is osteo in my family.  Even so, I have issues with taking a long term med that has "bad news" stories...Been there, did that with 8 years of HRT.  I was told I would be on it for life!  Well, that was unwise. 

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 01:33:06 pm »
Interesting...I don't take fosamax but do boniva.  Was actonel before.  started with osteopenia after breaking both feet.  I thought I read somewhere there is some sort of correlation with AN's and osteo stuff.  Will have to jog my memory..that'll be a tough one  LOL  Haven't heard any horror stories bout fosamax but wasn't told not to take my actonel or boniva before surgery.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 04:37:15 pm »
For what its worth:  when I had my AN surgery pre-op tests, a CAT scan noted some 'thinning' of my ribs.  Post-op, I had a bone density test and - sure enough - my ribs were a bit less 'dense' than they should have been.  My PCP recommended Fosamax but it was expensive - and I wanted to investigate it a bit.  I've decided against it as I have had extensive periodontal work done, have some very expensive bridgework and after many years of dentist visits, finally got my remaining teeth and my peridontal condition in good shape.  I don't wish to jeopardize any of that just to address a relatively minor bone loss issue that I can easily live with.  I have read that the makers of Fosamax are being sued based on instances of 'jawbone death' connected to Fosamax use.  That is scary - and as my bone condition is minor, I'll pass on the Fosamax, thanks.

Time Heals

Jim[/color]
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Static

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 07:45:34 pm »
Sorry, I donT know anything about Fosamax, but I also broke a molar while eating popcorn .  It ended up needing a root canal!  I usually check meds info at WebMd.com.  I'll let you know if I find anything.
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

rezski

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 08:12:22 pm »
I have osteopenia probably due to lots of prednisone for my Crohn's disease in the 60's through the 80's.  I have been using Miacalcin which is a nose spray for 4 years and my bone density has improved with no side effects whatsoever.  A month ago I took Nexium for 4 weeks just before the news reports came out about the hip fracture risk due to a blocking of calcium absorbtion.  I am ok for now and not needing that kind of acid blocker but I really hope my problem does not come back as the doctor said I would need long term meds of a similar kind.  At least Tums have calcium.
1.2 x .6 cm rt side AN diagnosed July 2005
Watching and waiting - not growing for now...Patient of Dr. Backous @ Virginia Mason
2012 8 x 5 mm @ Group Health - still WW

Static

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 08:25:23 pm »
Sorry, but I really didn't seem to find anything but what you already know about the fosamax.  Reading the post previous mine, I did learn something about the nexium I have been taking what seems like forever (first prilosec then nexium since 1999).  Right now, I have tendonitis so bad that I broke down and agreed to take celebrex for a month for that so I have to be on the nexium because the celebrex causes ulcers and since I've already had one that bursted and we don't know the whys about that one.  Sometimes I just feel like stopping everything, like one thing causes the other and so on!  Good luck with your decision.
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Jean G

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2007, 06:24:23 pm »
I have a friend that has what she called jaw rot.   That is what her dentist called it.  She said she had been on Fosamax for a long time.   Her dentist said he didn't know why, but he saw more patients over the last 5 years with the deteriorating jawbones.   He figured it out when he heard about lawsuits for Fosamax.   My friend is having extensive dental work on her jawbone now.  Very painful she said.

Jean G

translab. 2001

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2007, 09:20:42 pm »
My dr. put me on Fosamax also.  I just started taking it last winter, after my bone density test. I heard about this "jaw death" thing and it scared me. It thought. "well, THAT's all I need."  I talked with my dr. about it and he yes, that can happen but it's rare. I said, "Like AN tumors?" He said I could go off of it, but keep the samples they'd given me because I might have to go on it again.  I take calcium and I know I should be doing other things, like weight lifting and walking more to help strengthen my bones.  For some reason, Fosamax,  while it helps build bone everywhere else, can cause trouble with the jaw bone.  Seems really strange to me.  You can "google" this and find information on it.  Guess it's a real thing, however. Again, it's one of the risks you take when you take something that can help you with something else.  Osteoporisis is a serious condition and can be very painful and debilitating for some people. So, I don't know what I'll do if he says I need Fosamax again.  Don't want Osteoporsis, don't want "jaw death".  When did life become so complicated? (Answer to my own question - probably when I got past 50 years old!!)  Patch, patch, patch.

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

thecakes

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 05:36:43 pm »
  I took fosamax for a bit and then found out my insurance doesnot cover it and it is pretty expensive so I gave it up.

Dani

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 08:21:51 pm »
Well I just found this article and am now total scared to take my osteoporsis pill.  Although this is about Fosamax, I take Actonel......but I think they are all pretty comparable.  I have osteoporsis really bad......an am just wondering what would happen if I stopped taking this pill.  I have heard they do bad things to your jaw bone and also can cause tumors.  Something caused this tumor I have and I'm trying my best to stop everything I can that may be contributing to it.  Has anyone found out anymore about these pills?  

Dani
Oakridge, Oregon
65 year old female
1.27cm, Diagnosed September 2006
Deaf in right ear, some tinnitus, numbness on my face close to my ear Currently "Wait & Watch", per doctors advise
If & When I need to have something done I've pretty much decided on GK.

Boppie

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 10:14:50 pm »
I haven't thought that Fosamax might have a relationship to ANs. 

In regard to Fosamax and its relationship to jaw bone "death" I asked my friend whose brother is an MD.  She tells me the cases about the jaw bone death are really about jaw bone and preexisting dental/gum disease that was exascerbated by Fosamax (at least that is the claim). 

« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 12:51:45 am by Boppie »

Battyp

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 11:00:28 pm »
Wow lois..I wanna be a spunky old woman like that one day!
sounds to me it's somewhat like the vioxx stuff that went on a few years ago.  I was put on it after my ankle reconstruction...then they had the big vioxx and heat problem stuff.  From what I was told it was if you were prone or had heart problems to begin with it could have affects on your heart. 

How does Boniva correlate with this?  Funny I did find out about my AN after starting Actonel.  But honestly I don't think there was a correlation.  Imagine if there was and we could prove it we'd all be 50 cents richer   :o

Boppie

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 11:56:42 am »
I update a correction to my post last night...My 94 year old mother-in-law will not swallow pills.