Author Topic: Has anyone here wearing the BAHA aid?  (Read 5418 times)

robinm

Has anyone here wearing the BAHA aid?
« on: December 24, 2006, 10:14:59 pm »
Hi everyone,
I am a 23 yr old university student. I had my medium AN removed on September 2006. In my case, I had no side effects at all except that my hearing has gone on the affected side. Actually, I had no useful hearing before the surgery. Now, I want to do sth with my SSD. I have heard a lot about BAHA, but haven't talked with a BAHA wearer yet. So, if any of you are wearing the BAHA, please let me know what are the pros and cons?
Thanks,
Robin

Boppie

Re: Has anyone here wearing the BAHA aid?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 11:12:26 pm »
Robin, use the search tool and type in BAHA.  There are a couple of threads and many posts about the BAHA and users who post here.  It is hightly rated here on the forum.

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 11:34:18 pm »
Robin,

JoeF has a baha

laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 03:39:05 am »
Hi Robin,

Although JoeF is on vacation now out of the States, if you send him a private message here (email), I'm sure he'll be happy to share with you pictures and thoughts on the BAHA.  You can find his profile here at :

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=510

Hope you are enjoying the holidays.
Phyl

Robin,

JoeF has a baha

laz
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

robinm

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2006, 11:18:20 am »
Hi everyone,
Thank you all for your suggestions. I have sent a personal message to Joef. Hopefully, he will be helpful. I have also found a link to a discussion forum about BAHA. I am really positive on obtaining helpful suggestions.
Thanks,
Robin

robinm

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2006, 11:21:12 am »
Hey Boppie,
How is your transear hearing aid doing?

Robin

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2006, 06:39:12 pm »
A Jeff responded to my microsurgical thread-I had question about stem implants since My HEaring is GONE all  the way too (Nerve is GONE-tumor took it over and it had to go)

He states something about a ABI, not an ABA, is an baha the cochlea implant that actually sends sounds to the nerve itself and those that do not have the nerve?, -especially the bilateral NF2 patients-have the ABI -the actual brain stem to Brain implant that sends impulses? I am just trying to figure out the acronyms and the meanings.

The BAHA-can you swim with it, scuba dive etc? have to put a plastic cover over it? I'd be concerned with some jerk ripping it off at a rock concert and throwing it into the crowd or something.

Do you actually have to have your vestibularcochlear nerve to use one? Mine is gone on the left. Does it just re wire stuff to the good ear?-not sure if I'd want that either.

Quote from: ixta on December 23, 2006, 01:11:11 PM
What about these bone/brain stem implants I am hearing about? Anyone have those?
Hello,
I have an ABI but mine did not work for me. The device itself works, but the electrodes that were placed on my brainstem moved after the surgery. Thus, the wrong portion of my brain was stimulated when it was switched on. This caused some interesting and scary side-effects.

My brother got an ABI in February and it works well for him. Using a combination of lip-reading and hearing from the ABI, he understood 96% of what said during his testing. This drops significantly when lip-reading is not employed.

Currently in the US, the ABI is only allowed for NF2 patients. However, I believe that doctors in Italy have implanted no-NF2 patients with success.

I hope that this helps.

Jeff

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!

« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 06:48:57 pm by ixta »
5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06

Boppie

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2006, 07:37:29 pm »
Robin,  I like my TransEAr just fine.

robinm

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2006, 08:06:22 pm »
Hi Boppie,
It's good to hear that your transEar is working fine..good luck to you. But, since I am so young I am really concerned about it's appearance too. I would prefer to have a transcranial one(so that others wouldn't notice at all), like crissmom had talked about in one of her threads. If you kinow more about these aids, please let me know.

Thanks,
Robin