Author Topic: Wireless headphones for TV  (Read 5167 times)

Raydean

Wireless headphones for TV
« on: December 17, 2006, 09:11:31 pm »
Has anyone tried wireless headphone with the receiver for the TV in order to hear the TV without having to raise the volume high.  This sounds like a good idea for my husband.  I just checked the tv to make sure it has a audio red/white or microphone plug.  That's about the extent of my knowledge.

If you've tried one of these could you give me some feedback on what to look for, what brands might be better?  Did you like them? Reasonable price range so it doesn't appear that i have "sucker' written on my forehead. In theory I can see where Chet would find these useful, but I'm in a real gray area as far as knowledge about these things. I like the no cord to trip on, so being wireless would be a plus. 

Thanks for any info you might be able to share.   Have a great day. 

Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
Re: Wireless headphones for TV
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 09:30:44 pm »
I've been thinking about these as well, looked a bit and read the reviews, and came to no conclusions...so any experience by ANers would be helpful to me too! 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

kjmema

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 10:26:21 pm »
My husband can't hear thunder and he never had an AN.  He's had wireless headphone for several years.  It's the only way we could survive in the same room as he has the TV so loud and switches chanels.  We have a large hearth room/kitchen. They are wonderful!!!  Well worth the money.  They work well when the grandkids come to visit also.  They love them...Go for it... ::)
left side AN 3mm IAC watch & wait hearing 100% balance slightly off

Lorenzo

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 12:50:16 am »
Now, if they could just make headphones that send all chanels to one ear for us SSD people, i would be really happy. Can't listen to my iPod anymore. anybody come across a solution to that?
Ciao, Lorenzo

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 06:56:57 am »
 ???

A few years ago, I got one of those for my husband.  Actually, I think it might have a cord and plug-in for a TV.  I don't even remember if it is wireless.  He tells me that he doesn't like things on his head and never used it.  Gurrrrrrrrr; LOL  We should have returned it.  Now that you mentioned it, I think I will hunt it down and use it myself; check the thing out.  He used to drive me nuts with the, "Loud Blow-em-up" movies" and I bought that as one of his Christmas presents.  We have a new, flat screen LCD, TV and I think it would work fine with that.  I hope the darn thing is wireless.  Since that was I awhile back and he never used it, I don't remember what type it was, etc.  (with the crazyness of the holiday at that time.)  How much do the wirelss cost, now?  <curious mind>   ;)

Thank you for any info on the newer ones..........Palace
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 09:58:47 am »
Lorenzo, I listen to my ipod anyway....I've been near deaf so long in my right ear that it sounds normal to me....
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Boppie

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 12:15:47 pm »
Search for headphones, stereo, or radio.  Last year I read a few posts about this.  Someone had some ideas for getting mono sound from stereo.  Maybe that poster has some new ideas.

Bob Partak

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 01:49:00 pm »
I have used the wireless headphones for a few years now. They come in handy when ever the wife and I decide to watch a movie together. I can turn the volume up on my headset without raising the T.V. volume. Works good for us.
I bought mine at Radioshack for about $45. The transmitter sets on the T.V. and plugs into the back of the T.V. and an electric outlet. I leave mine in the "on" position all the time. The headset takes 2 "AA" batteries. My headset has seperate volume controls, one for each ear. That's was great when my AN ear was still functional, but now that I'm deaf on that side I can just leave that ear control on off.
I can leave my headset on and leave the room and still hear what is goung on, i.e. the football score. I can even take the dog out a short distance and get reception.
What is bad is that when wearing your headset you can't hear others talking, doorbells, phones, etc. For me "that's good"however.
My transmitter and my headset both have a small red dot light that goes on when when they are "on". It's nice to know if your headset is off when you remove it from your head because it runs on the batteries.
I Think the voice transmission to the headset is via infra red signal.. If someone walks between the transmitter and my headset there is NO disturbance. You have to ask about that because one set I looked at did not prevent that from happening. I just can't remember all the details, but the folks at Radioshack were very helpful in explaining all the finer details to me at the time and showed me more than one model. I've referred others to them with equal satisfaction. I wish you all well.   Bob P.

redgrl

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 01:58:32 pm »
Sign me up for one of those! My husband always has the TV up so loud. He even turns on the surround sound while he plays his playstation. With that and my 3 year old always talking over the tv Im ready to rip out all my hair.  :o
4 cm left side AN. Translab Sept 20th 06 at virginia mason w/Dr. Backous & Dr. Nussbaum. Second surgery Oct 15th 06 to repair CFS leak.

Raydean

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 02:14:13 pm »
Thanks for all of the replies.  As soon as I'm off work (on the work computer right now) we're headed into big city to try on a few of these.  Think we'll start @ BestBuy or Circuit City and go from there.
I'm hopeful that we'll find something that he likes.  This will be the perfect Christmas present, but beyond that it'll add to his quality of life.

Palace, If it has cords I don't think the set you have is wireless.  Since Chet likes to watch TV long after i go to bed I'm partial to the wireless since it'll be one less cord to trip over. Any electronic place will carry them and also some music stores should have them too.

If you Google  Reviews for wireless headphones for TV it'll bring up some information that might be useful.  But I think it all comes down to going in and trying them on to see what feels best and works best for each individual hearing loss.  I read some reviews that stated low on bass sound, which Chet hears pretty good, i'd want one that would pick up higher pitch sounds.  

I'll let you know what we find.

Have a great day
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jeff

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 02:29:33 pm »
I am curious. Do any of you use the closed captioning that is available for most shows?  I use this extensively. It allows my wife and I to watch TV together, and it's great for watching TV and listening to music at the same time!
Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 05:07:02 pm »

I am curious. Do any of you use the closed captioning that is available for most shows?  I use this extensively. It allows my wife and I to watch TV together, and it's great for watching TV and listening to music at the same time!

Jeff

I suspect that either my wife or my adult son are giving me a pair of wireless headphones for Christmas as, like most AN patients, I need the TV sound up loud to hear dialogue and they say it hurts their perfectly good hearing.  The headphones would be a decent compromise.

Meanwhile, I've started using the closed captioning utility on our TV.  It does help ease the loud/soft dilemma. Unfortunately, if we keep the sound at a level comfortable for my wife and/or son, I miss hearing a lot of dialogue.  Especially when characters whisper or talk softly as in romantic scenes or when someone is plotting something.  I strongly recommend trying closed captioning.  Most TV's have the feature built in.  Our remote has a button to activate it.  I would assume most TV's are similar. 

Meanwhile, I hope Santa brings me the wireless headphones.  Then, we'll all be happier.

Jim[/color]
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lmurray69

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 05:17:34 pm »
 Hi Boys and girls tee hee, I have a device that hooks on my lamp that when the door bell rings or the phone rings it flashs off and on. I lost the name of the new phone device that the caller talks and your phone has caption tv. on the phone you read what they say..no typeing ,but i lost what it is called..also wanted to tell you. they have a chair/recliner out that has speakers in the wings of the chair. it sounds like garbage to me. but, it may work for some of you.. Does the head set work with hear aides..If i put a head set on my aide squills...
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/