Author Topic: Jogging  (Read 4151 times)

Crystal

Jogging
« on: February 24, 2007, 11:28:33 am »
Hello,

I am about 2 and 1/2 months post Op and have been back to work 3 weeks.  The first week was a little scary wit the new SSD but I am back into the swing of things for the most part.  I am pretty tired at the end of the day still but it is slowly getting better.  I get some roaring tinitus some times at night but not unbareable.  I also get a feeling of swelling in the surgery side on a hectic day and an occasional feeling of tightness in there still.

No headaches at all, knock on wood.  Some balance issues especially at night, also not too bad.

I am thinking about starting to jog again.  I have been doing alot of walking and a little bit on the eliptical cross trainer.

Any body there a jogger?  Am wondering when you started up again after surgery and if it caused you any issues.

Thank you!

Crystal
Dr. Chang - Stanford U - April 2004 Cyberknife 15mm X 12mm
Dr. Schwartz and Doctor Luxford - House Ear Clinic - Dec 2006 Translab 19.1mm X 15mm

tony

Re: Jogging
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 11:36:40 am »
sorry to dwell on this one but SSD means care with traffic
crossing rhe road etc - then the darker evenings
may create issues with balance/stability
So take it easy im a safe environment first ?
Best regards
Tony

Jeanlea

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 09:13:32 pm »
Hi Crystal,

I had surgery in September of 2005.  I began walking/running on the treadmill again in January.  Probably could have started it sooner, but I never was that motivated.  lol  I was out walking for about four or five miles at two months without any problems. I live in a cold area of the country so I wasn't interested in being outside to run.  Now I'm nearly 18 months post-op and today I ran for 20 minutes at 5 mph.  That's part of my 30 minute daily workout.  My goal is to be able run in a 5K race and actually run the whole time.  I'm about halfway there.

I would start out slowly at first and see how you feel.  Good luck to you.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 06:25:13 am »

Were is Crazycat ?? .. He jogs several miles a day!
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

kristin

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 06:58:34 pm »
hi there,

i started back running on the treadmill 6 weeks postop and had to stare straight ahead so i wouldn't fall off the treadmill! i picked one dot on the wall and kept telling my brain "the world is not moving, the world is not moving". eventually it got so i could watch the tv and finally moved where i felt like if i turned my head i wouldn't biff it! now, almost 2 years post op, i have no problems jogging at all.

just stick with it...i think running is good for your brain and balance..

kristin in montana

8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Crystal

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 05:00:44 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I went to the Ymca and did about 14 minutes on monday.  Increased my tinitus but I felt SOOO good in the afternoon.

Am having trouble getting back into my fitness routine now I am back to work.  I drag myself home on my belly some days... :P
Dr. Chang - Stanford U - April 2004 Cyberknife 15mm X 12mm
Dr. Schwartz and Doctor Luxford - House Ear Clinic - Dec 2006 Translab 19.1mm X 15mm

Battyp

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 10:10:47 pm »
Wow jogging is NOT in my vocabulary.  I run so funny now  LOL

Crazy Cat is in sunny balmy beautiful Fl for a little R&R  Bet he's jogging lots now..no snow to deal with  ;D

Chambo

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 03:00:10 pm »
I am approx 8 months post op (3.5cm AN / Translab) and run 2 - 3 times a week (circa 5km runs).

I am now much fitter than I was pre surgery and don't vomit when I push myself. I used to get extremely nauseous and throw up after every tough run. I also used to sway a bit towards the time of my diagnosis.

I did a 15km fun (?!) run for charity in April 06 (just 2 months before what was then my unknown surgery date) with a 3.5cm AN in 70 minutes.

One of my goals post surgery was to be able to complete the same fun run in April 07. I didn't think I was a chance to even contemplate this run only 1-2 months ago, however, now I am in full training and really looking forward to it! My finance and I did a Nike 6km training run on Sat and won our group race.

Running without the fear of throwing your guts up is a great feeling now!!
3.5cm+ LS AN fully removed via Translab surgery on 28 June 2006.
Prof Kaye (Neuro)/Mr Briggs (ENT) at Royal Melbourne Hospital (Melbourne, Australia).
1st post surgery MRI (Feb 07) revealed NO regrowth/residual.
d.o.b. 5 Oct 1978

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 08:23:09 pm »
Batty princess I am with you- jogging not a part of my "wellness policy"- Walking is and I didn't have any problems ( but then shouldn't given I had CK).  But the rest of you bring me to shame! I need to do something!  Good for all of you.  Take care, Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys

Mary 117

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 04:38:42 pm »
When jogging, does anyone else feel like they have a 5 lb sandbag hitting the side of their head (surgery side)? It doesn't really hurt but is somewhat uncomfortable. I tried running again but when I got the pounding sensation, I stopped. I have been sticking with stationary bike & rowing machine. I would like to start running again so if anyone has this same feeling and nothing bad happens, let me know.
Thanks again!
Mary
2cm Middle Fossa Dr Brackmann  05/24/05
2cm x 1.5cm AN, Middle Fossa, Dr. Brackmann  05/24/05
Mild hearing loss, mild facial weakness, no balance issues

"well behaved women seldom make history"