Author Topic: MRI machine being moved explodes  (Read 3679 times)

rebarman

MRI machine being moved explodes
« on: December 07, 2006, 02:44:00 pm »
Two injured when MRI machine explodes

The Associated Press
Published on: 12/07/06

Two people were injured when an MRI machine they were moving at a medical office in Kennesaw exploded from a mix of chemicals inside, officials said.
The workers for Turnkey Medical Engineering Inc. were moving the Magnetic Resonance Imaging scanner at Atlanta Diagnostics Center when helium and liquid nitrogen combined to blast the end bell off the device, said firefighter Denell Boyd of the Cobb County Fire Department.
One had shrapnel in the back of the head and the other an injured arm, and they were taken to the hospital although the injuries were not considered serious, Boyd said.
The sheetrock on an inside wall was damaged but the structure, a one-story building in an office complex, was sound, she said.
Boyd said officials believed 500 liters of liquid nitrogen remained inside the tank, but they were unsure because a gauge was broken.
1.5cm x 1.4 cm AN on left side
Removed by Translab on Jan 29, 2007
Dr. Mattox & Dr. Olson @ Emory Univ. Hosp.

Palace

• Palace
Re: MRI machine being moved explodes
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 04:49:41 pm »
Let us all take a moment of "silence" over that one.......too, close to home, "so-to-speak." 

My husband has seen some unusual things.  He used to work at Lockheed/M.  He is lucky to be here, also.

Palace
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Derek

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 05:50:18 pm »
Wow...that was one hell of a bang! So glad that the workmen were mercifully not seriously injured. It graphically illyustrates the awesome power that is generated by this wonderful technical equipment that we take for granted in our AN lives and which is integral to our future wellbeing and ultimate survival.

Regards

Derek
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

mylump

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 02:01:46 am »
Wow, scary. Better not think too much about it. What next, a manic runaway CK with it's own mind?
Hope the injured people are doing well. That's two people that will never have an MRI in their lives.
Oh I know, I shouldn't make fun of it, but still did ye ever think an MRI could explode?? OMG.
Lorenzo

Laura

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 02:45:07 pm »
Oh my! Yes, thankfully no one was seriously injured but sakes alive  :o :o :o I don't think I'd be caught in the same room with another MRI if I were them!

Laura
Diagnosed August 17, 2006
AN on right side 1cm x 7mm x 7mm
30% hearing loss with no other symptoms
Watching and Waiting
http://www.patient-network.com/lparr
It's mind over "matter"... even if the "matter" is in my mind

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 11:17:46 am »
I was thinking that if someone told the either of those guys they needed an MRI to check their injuries if they would have gotten in one. OUCH too close to home!