Author Topic: Hearing Preservation Studies  (Read 641 times)

jm778899

Hearing Preservation Studies
« on: December 11, 2023, 12:59:19 pm »
Hello,

Is anyone familiar with the published research on preserving hearing while having surgery? I remember reading a study at one point that showed a chart with hearing preservation falling off dramatically >1.5cm. I was looking for this study (as it relates to microsurgery)

Thank you in advance

donjehle

Re: Hearing Preservation Studies
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2023, 04:24:18 pm »
If you find the research study, I would love to see it.  What I had been told was that tumor size does not correlate with preserving hearing.  I have a very tiny acoustic neuroma and have significant hearing loss, and I know of others who have large acoustic neuromas and still have maintained their hearing.  What I was told was that it was the placement of the tumor rather than the size of the tumor that made the difference.  But I have not seen any research either way.  So, if you find the study you mention, please share it.

Thanks!
Don
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.