Author Topic: 3.5 months post op Middle Fossa Procedure  (Read 1191 times)

BBelmontes

3.5 months post op Middle Fossa Procedure
« on: July 20, 2023, 07:29:21 pm »
Hello, I am 39 years old and was diagnosed with a 1cm AN on my left side last year. It was discovered after losing part of my hearing from one day to the next. I have suffered from migraines since I was a teenager, which usually always started on my left side behind my eye. I ended up having a middle fossa procedure in April, hoping it would preserve whatever hearing I had left. Unfortunately, they were unable to save my hearing. After the surgery, I immediately showed left-side facial paralysis (dropping, can't close my eyelid all the way, no tears are being produced), but they hope this is temporary. I am still struggling with some dizziness and balance issues, some days are better than others and I can't quite tell why. I have noticed that when doing simple things, such as vacuuming or going up and down the stairs, even a quick trip to the store exhausts me. It's like I become completely depleted of all  my energy, and the dizziness kicks in. I then have to lie down for an hour or more to get back to my normal state again. I am now having two weird side effects and want to see if anyone else has had this experience.
1. My face is swelling again like it did after the surgery, but not as bad. In the last two months, it has come and gone, usually lasting about a week. I've noticed it usually starts when I have a headache, but this time I've been swollen for about three weeks.
2. When I exercise or clean, I have a very small nose drip out of my left nostril only. I've seen the surgeon who says it's not enough to test for a CSF leak, which means it probably isn't a leak because there would be a lot more fluid. They think it might be like a "cold-induced rhinitis" side effect from the surgery. Has anyone else experienced either of these two things?

Jill Marie

Re: 3.5 months post op Middle Fossa Procedure
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2023, 01:04:16 pm »
Hello,  Welcome to the board.  You certainly have had a lot to deal with.  I didn't have the face swelling issue but I and many others can tell you the small nose drip is very common.  I had my translab surgery when I was 36, that was 31 years ago.  My tumor was on the left side also.  When I exercise or sweat for any reason the left side of my nose drips a bit and my eye waters.  My left eye doesn't tear at all normally.  My surgery wasn't like yours and I had a facial nerve tumor so my situation is different. If you need information about how to care for you eye while it temporarily doesn't close or tear I can help.  The balance issues will get better as your body adjusts, I'm assuming the dizziness will too, I didn't have that issue. 

You will get better it just takes a long time for your body to recover from all it's gone through.  Take Care and feel free to post and ask questions anytime.  We are here to help as others have helped us.  Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

BBelmontes

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2023, 09:48:54 am »
Thanks Jill, I appreciate your insight.  Yes, any pointers with the eye would be appreciated.  I cover it up at night, creating a chamber with plastic wrap, and I use ointment and eye drops every hour (Refresh Brand).  I invested in goggles to keep the air out as much as possible.  If you have any other pointers or products you think are helpful, I would love to hear about them.

Jill Marie

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2023, 01:31:43 pm »
Hello,  It sounds like you are taking good care of your eye.  Refresh is a good brand, I used it for a few years then they changed the ingredients and it bothered my eye so I started using Bausch and Lomb's Soothe night time ointment.  If Refresh works for you that's great.  I started using an Acuvue Oasys w/Hydraluxe daily lens.  The lens costs about one dollar a day, I use less ointment now and the air/wind isn't a big issue either.  Unfortunately you have to see an eye doctor to get a prescription for the lens.  I put the lens in my eye in the morning and remove it then throw it out before I go to bed. My eye feels much better with the lens.  Take Care, Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

alabamajane

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2023, 06:05:32 pm »
I had translab surgery in 2011 for my AN and my facial nerve was severed during surgery,, so I have had many of the same issues you are experiencing.

I had a good weight put in my eyelid after surgery to help the eye close better. I only had it for about a year and it was removed. My eye still does not close tight but most of the way. I used ointment at night for several years but have stopped now. I do have to use drops during the day often. Usually Refresh or Systane.

My nose drips anytime I get hot or bend over or even in retail stores especially ones with clothing. It has not improved any over time unfortunately. I feel like it is related to my facial paralysis and the fact that my nostril on the affected side has collapsed some. Therefore,, it is hard to control the fluid that comes out,,, I can’t “ sniffle” if you will,,, so I have a hankie or paper towel with me at all times.

Just some info to let you know you are not alone. Your symptoms are normal for most of us. The fatigue should get better with time,, not soon,, but it will. Give in to your body and brain and rest! Patience was the hardest thing for me to learn in the beginning. There is no rushing the recovery timeline,,,,,

Good luck and don’t hesitate to ask questions,,, it will help you understand what is happening..

Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

Greece Lover

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2023, 03:02:28 pm »
Hi,
I had mid fossa and also had facial weakness for a while.  but it eventually all corrected.
I do have times when my nose runs, usually related to eating, but also sometimes exercise can induce it for me.  My surgeon said that if there's trauma to the facial nerve, sometimes the nerves grow back and heal, but sometimes they make new connections that were not there before, which can lead to some of these weird symptoms.

good luck!
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.