Author Topic: cold extremities  (Read 3270 times)

marjoryb

cold extremities
« on: December 06, 2006, 11:15:51 am »
Do any of you have cold hands and feet?  ( I had surgery in July '06).   Now that the weather has turned wintery - I feel like my hands and feet just won't get warm.   Do you think that's a side effect of surgery?

Marjoryb

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: cold extremities
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 11:29:07 am »
Hi Marjory:    I didn't have that problem related to surgery, I don't think.  Lucky me lives in South Florida (I geuss that depends on how you look at it! lol), we had some cold weather 2 weeks ago (down in the 40's!!) & my feet were freezing.  For me I think it's more circulation (I'm a smoker, bad girl!).   

Didn't notice it post op, or during recovery at home.

Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 12:24:56 pm »
I'm not having that issue, but my face muscles on my AN side constrict and twitch in the cold.  I've got about 60% of my facial function back.
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 03:55:14 pm »
Marjoryb:

I live in the northeast and while it hasn't turned bitter cold, yet, it has dipped below freezing - with wind - which adds the dreaded 'wind chill factor'[/color]. 

I'm 6 months post-op (see my signature for details) and while I do notice the colder weather, I don't think I'm any more uncomfortable than I was last year, pre-surgery.  I'm no doctor - but it seems that poor circulation shouldn't be an after-effect of AN surgery.  Of course, I've lived with northeast winters for many years, so I may just be used to them.  While no athlete, I'm in relatively good physical condition - which helps, I'm sure.  If you're really cold, dress warmer; thicker gloves, lined boots, etc.  No need to suffer.  You should probably ask your doctor about this, too.  I would.

Jim[/color]
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 04:47:13 pm »
Marjoryb,
Your cold toosties and fingers could be attributed to being less active than you were pre-op. Also from any meds you may be on like ibuprophen that constricts blood flow.
Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

marjoryb

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 05:24:28 pm »
I just had an AHA moment thanks to your posts.   I am less active and I am on a ibuprofen regime - undoubtedly both contribute to cold hands and feet.     Duh - maybe they took out a little more than the AN!

Marjoryb