Author Topic: Cell Transplantation — what do you folks make of it?  (Read 796 times)

bob_neuroma

Cell Transplantation — what do you folks make of it?
« on: December 07, 2022, 02:50:23 pm »
After my AN surgery I am deaf on the right side and it has been a year now. I am opting for a BAHA and will get on with my life but a part of me lingers on the hope that one day science will give back to us what we have lost.

Having read https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/09636897211035076 I am now instilled with some sense of hope, albeit small.

Has anyone else read it and wants to share their thoughts?

I know the topic has been up before but I believe that article to stand out. It is relatively recent and it addresses the acoustic nerve damage after an AN surgery and sheds some light on what might be possible in the future.

I understand some people say this is 100 years away, or 20, some might think sooner. Any opinions on that is welcome too.

donjehle

Re: Cell Transplantation — what do you folks make of it?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2022, 05:03:55 pm »
I had not read that before, Bob.  Thank you for sharing that on the forums!

I have pretty much given up hope that I will ever hear again from my AN ear, but I certainly would be happy if this became a reality soon.

If you find out anymore, please continue to share it!

Thanks,
Don
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

bob_neuroma

Re: Cell Transplantation — what do you folks make of it?
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2022, 10:04:33 am »
There is a bunch of research going on Don,

Unfortunately this is really difficult to solve in a safe manner.

Most companies hit brick walls but their research paves way for others.
I took to the liberty to email one professor heading research for one of these companies and asked him specifically if their aim was the regeneration of damages done to the cochlea nerve by tumors such as ours and he gave a positive (surprised he even answered).

Who knows, one day we could wake up with the news that some company made it through phase 3 and are ready to hit the market but most likely it won't be in this or the coming decade but fingers crossed.

I'll bump this thread of I come across more stuff that might be of interest.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 10:17:58 am by bob_neuroma »