Author Topic: Attention deficiency, fatigue, motivation loss, brain fog, lost time  (Read 2044 times)

Jordybutt

Has anyone else experienced the symptoms like this? I feel vacant most days and like I’m “Not me” anymore. Also making very simple mistakes at work that are so unlike me because I am usually the most organised person in the office. I feel scared like I’m not in control of my outcome.  I am no longer able to do complex problem solving and have had to step out of my management position due to this. I can only do tasks which are measurable, in short bursts.
Also time seems to be disappearing on me very quickly. Please let me know if you are experiencing similar things.
Please also let me know if you live in my home state. I would love to talk with someone local.
Adelaide, South Australia.
Diagnosed 3cm AN Right Side 31/10/2022
Retrosigmoid Approach 04/01/2023
13% Remaining

MarlaB

• Administrator
Re: Attention deficiency, fatigue, motivation loss, brain fog, lost time
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2022, 11:03:39 pm »
Welcome to the club that no one wants to belong to, and there's no better place to be.

You are normal. Your cognitive brain is getting used to the news. Have you requested your packet of information from ANA? Make sure you get the "Cognitive" booklet that recently came out. You have heard A LOT of new information and processing it IS HARD.

REMEMBER TO BREATHE...YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

And there are a ton of folks who have posted to this forum from Australia. I hope you find the local support you need, and know that (even with the time change) you can participate in virtual support group meetings led by ANA volunteers. Check the website under "Resources"

Wishing you the best.

Marla B.

Jordybutt

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 06:43:32 pm »
MarlaB, thank you for your kind words and consideration. It really means a lot. Everything has hit me like a wave since I was diagnosed only just this Monday and now I’m waiting for more information this upcoming Monday with a neurosurgeon.

I didn’t know about the “packet” can you please explain how I go about this?

Thank you I will definitely be looking at the virtual support groups as well. It’s really great to be able to talk to others with the same condition.

I am struggling a lot with the fatigue it’s causing and how I lose stamina to do my job, so quickly. I’m still in limbo waiting for the appointment on Monday which fortunately is soon, but feels like an eternity away.
13% Remaining

MarlaB

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2022, 10:38:31 pm »
On the ANAUSA.org page, click the button that says "free patient kit.' You can request the cognitive booklet along with the others.

M

donjehle

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2022, 01:48:58 pm »
Hi Jordybutt!

Thank you for sharing your experience on the forums!  And MariaB is correct (as she always is) that you are not alone in this.  Many of us have experienced something very similar.

My only counsel is that you do not make any rash decisions because of your current symptoms.

I thought I was going to have to quit my job when I was experiencing vertigo and couldn't walk without a cane.  I even talked to the Human Relations director at my work to find out what my options were.  Fortunately, I did not make any rash decisions about quitting (like I was going to do).  In time my symptoms improved with therapy and other help.  And, in time, I actually received an advancement in position (which would not have been thinkable soon after my initial diagnosis).

Best wishes on your journey!
Don
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

Jordybutt

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2022, 10:27:58 pm »
On the ANAUSA.org page, click the button that says "free patient kit.' You can request the cognitive booklet along with the others.

M

Thank you I have just done this now!
13% Remaining

Jordybutt

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2022, 10:31:08 pm »
Hi Jordybutt!

Thank you for sharing your experience on the forums!  And MariaB is correct (as she always is) that you are not alone in this.  Many of us have experienced something very similar.

My only counsel is that you do not make any rash decisions because of your current symptoms.

I thought I was going to have to quit my job when I was experiencing vertigo and couldn't walk without a cane.  I even talked to the Human Relations director at my work to find out what my options were.  Fortunately, I did not make any rash decisions about quitting (like I was going to do).  In time my symptoms improved with therapy and other help.  And, in time, I actually received an advancement in position (which would not have been thinkable soon after my initial diagnosis).

Don

Thank you. I have sort of been moved from the management position for a few reasons including my inability to perform the role. I am needing to take lighter duties. I also have a second job, which I am making simple mistakes at, involving things I already know. This sort of thing is really bothering me.

Being at the start of the journey makes all of this seem like looking up a really big hill. So many challenges yet to fade.

Jordy
13% Remaining

Jordybutt

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2022, 10:31:42 pm »
Yet to face
13% Remaining

davebanninga

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2022, 07:38:50 am »
Hi Jordybutt!

Don

Thank you. I have sort of been moved from the management position for a few reasons including my inability to perform the role. I am needing to take lighter duties. I also have a second job, which I am making simple mistakes at, involving things I already know. This sort of thing is really bothering me.

Being at the start of the journey makes all of this seem like looking up a really big hill. So many challenges yet to fade.

Jordy

I have Attention Deficit Disorder, and a AN i recognize a lot of the issues i've always had a chaotic mind so i'm not sure if the AN is the reason but i often forget stuff like turning off the oven, leaving my keys in the frontdoor, not locking my car or leaving the lights on.
For daily stuff my ADD taught me to leave everything at the same place, organize everything in to the smallest details.

I make up rhymes helping me to remind stuff like the keys and lights of my car, i sing them to my self before leaving the car it became a habit
I use the song white stripes from seven nation army  and fill in the words of the stuff i need to remind my self "lights , keys and ceeellphone - lights, keys and ceelllphoneee"
for all the other stuff like daily tasks i just check if i've done it 2 times, in case i did forget

When i have a passenger in my car they always look at me like i'm a idiot but they think its funny.
Diagnosed Nov '22 
left AN 40mm
Put on wait and scan

Jan' 23 vomitting and severe headaches.
2nd MRI Jan'23 showed 48mm (8mm increase because of bleeding in tumor)

Surgery planned for 23th of Feb '23

donjehle

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2022, 01:09:33 pm »
I love that, davebanninga!  I needed a laugh today!
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

john_strobel@outlook.com

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2023, 06:29:39 pm »
I can relate a lot.  After my GK treatment at Mayo in June 2021, I've felt like things like balance is gradually getting better but my psyche is not.
I work as an I.T. Manager with a small team, and I started working from home shortly after the treatment since I felt a bit dizzy while driving and a bit spacey on the road.   I did not feel safe driving at Interstate speed.   Well, 2 years later even with Teams and constant interaction with my staff at work I feel isolated and invisible.  My boss really lacks empathy and at one point even tried comparing my condition to her Meniere's.  I can tell it bothers her that I am never there in person.  Now, I feel like I have less and less patience for people and I feel like I just want to retire and retreat.   I am exhausted most days by 4pm.   One thing that has helped is going on lots of walks with my wife, even though I find them tiring due to the balance issues.   Thankfully, I still have about 70% hearing and have been able to address that with an in-canal hearing aid. 

When I read your post, it mirrors how I feel a lot.  I hope we can both learn to adapt and perhaps even thrive at some point, but I'm worried about depression setting in.  I have not seen a psychiatrist or psychologist but I am considering that.   If anyone has any helpful ideas, please respond.

donjehle

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2023, 06:29:19 pm »
Seeking help for improved mental health is something we all should do.  All the stress and issues that having an acoustic neuroma can bring is a good reason for us to take advantage of the mental health resources which are available for us.  We should never be embarrassed about using resources which can make us travel stronger through our acoustic neuroma journey.
No treatment yet.