Author Topic: Post Surgery Tinnitus on Deaf Side  (Read 885 times)

margofarrara

Post Surgery Tinnitus on Deaf Side
« on: June 20, 2023, 08:25:38 am »
Hello - I am post surgery 3 months plus and recovering well.  I had Retrosigmoid for a 2.5+cm AN.  3 month follow up MRI shows no sign of tumor.  My main remaining symptom that is causing some distress is the continued tinnitus and what i call white noise in the now deaf ear.  Has anyone experienced this and how are you managing it?

MarlaB

• Administrator
Re: Post Surgery Tinnitus on Deaf Side
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2023, 10:40:55 am »
Welcome to the club that no one wants to belong to. I have nearly the exact same outcome as you....constant tinnitus after tumor removal. I "manage" it by trying to focus on other things. I have never found a remedy that works for me to make the ringing totally go away, but after time, I realized on occasion, I noticed it less. One thing I try to do is remember to put an ear plug into my deaf ear when I know I'll be in a place that is loud or at the dentist's. (doesn't make sense why) but it seems to give me some preventative relief.

Wishing you the best.

Marla B.

margofarrara

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2023, 02:40:27 pm »
Thank you Marla.  I would not have thought an ear plug in the deaf ear during loud times would be helpful but im game to try anything!.  I have downloaded lots of apps for tinnitus, i have noise cancelling headphones, a white noise machine at night.... it just seems to get overwhelming at times.

donjehle

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2023, 12:54:30 pm »
Thank you for posting on the forums, margofarrara, and welcome to the ANA!

And thank you for your recommendation on the earplug in certain circumstances, MariaB!  I never thought to try an earplug in a loud place (or at the dentist!).  I will need to try that sometime.

I have not found anything that improves my tinnitus.  I mostly ignore it since it's always there, but it's louder at some times more than others.  Some people really struggle trying to sleep with tinnitus at night, but I go to sleep easily, and then I don't pay any attention to it until I wake up in the morning, and it is still there.

Best wishes on your continued recovery!
Don
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.