Author Topic: Biodex Machine for Balance  (Read 2848 times)

bjhk

Biodex Machine for Balance
« on: April 26, 2022, 01:38:17 pm »
I found another vestibular PT who uses the biodex machine
Has anyone used it and was it successful; ?  it is a 6 week program and the PT uses the computer to help

biodex.com

donjehle

Re: Biodex Machine for Balance
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2022, 06:13:03 pm »
I haven't used any of the biodex machines to restore my balance, but they appear to be a valid form of vestibular therapy.  If someone has experience with them, I would love to hear about it as well.

Thanks for sharing about them, bjhk!
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

bjhk

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2022, 09:50:16 am »
I have been using the biodex machine with a  vestibular PT for 4 week/ 2x per week

It is intense, it works on your brain using a computer with the machine

It appears to be helping a bit, but I have an evaluation next Friday so we will see

I still need a walker when outside the apartment; previously I could use just a cane

I saw my ENT 2 weeks ago
She said if the balance PT is not successful she will order another MRI in October
My radiation oncologist has ordered one for next April, one yr after the MRI showed a/n had stopped growing.

donjehle

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2022, 02:35:53 pm »
Thanks for sharing your experience so far with the biodex machine, bjhk!

I think it could be helpful for others considering using one to learn from your experience with it.

Please let us know how your evaluation goes next Friday.  I would love to know how much you have improved with it.
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

bjhk

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2022, 09:39:20 am »
PT dept is trying out the balance vests, so I will be in the trial Tuesday; just fitting and explaining how it works.

I would have to buy it and she thinks Medicare will pay

The bad part is they are a bit heavy and I live in FL
Vests look uncomfortable but I will at least participate

donjehle

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2022, 06:17:50 pm »
Please let us know how they work for you.  I am not familiar with the balance vests so I'm eager to learn from your experience!
No treatment yet.

bjhk

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2022, 08:46:42 am »
The Biodex machine seems to have helped tremendously. I have done extremely well with the last 4 sessions.
PT is now focusing on having me walk with a cane

My evaluation for Medicare is Friday; I am hoping to continue because not ready to walk with cane and cannot walk too far.

The knee I fractured 2 yrs ago is giving me problems; surgeon want to remove the wires as they are painful

This has interfered with balance as per PT, so she is spending some of her time with me doing knee exercises.

donjehle

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2022, 07:06:40 pm »
Thanks for the update, bjhk!

I'm glad the Biodex machine seems to be helping.  Did you use the balance vests?  How did they work?
No treatment yet.

bjhk

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2022, 12:24:47 pm »
I have aced the machine!  No longer difficult or challenging.
PT is concentrating now on walking with cane which is my goal.
I was able to go shopping last week, used cane to get to grocery cart;  a huge step forward for me.
I have 3 more sessions left and will stop for awhile as I am having reportedly mild knee surgery Nov 2 and will start all over again!!
PT says it will be much easier because I have been doing so well.
I will continue to do exercises at home until surgery

donjehle

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2022, 07:45:03 pm »
That is such a great report, bjhk!  Thanks for sharing it!  I'm looking forward to hearing more of your progress.
No treatment yet.