Author Topic: Retrosigmoid — indent behind the ear AN side?  (Read 3370 times)

bob_neuroma

Retrosigmoid — indent behind the ear AN side?
« on: January 03, 2022, 04:36:41 pm »
Hi again,

I have not yet had an appointment with my neurosurgeon so I thought I ask here.
On my right AN side where the surgery was performed there is a slight indentation in the skull, like a slight cavity or dimple.

Is this expected? Is it part of the healing process? I had my surgery in November but just now felt it and thought I'd ask.

Regards

Greece Lover

Re: Retrosigmoid — indent behind the ear AN side?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 07:53:50 am »
My surgery was Mid-fossa, so I don't know if it's the same or not, but I have sort of a dimple/ridge along the place where they made the incision and cut through the bone.  My doctor told me to expect that and it was totally normal. 
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

MariettaJoker

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 10:18:21 am »
I also had surgery in Nov and I’m still healing. I have a very small ridge/dimple as well. I think in my case it may be the edge of the titanium plate that was installed that I’m feeling. It’s very small and not an issue at all, but I think that’s likely what you are experiencing. This would be a good topic to take up with your doctor on the next visit, but I suspect it’s normal.
"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane" - Jimmy Buffett
Vestibular Schwannoma 2.3 x 2.5 cm. Right side.
Surgical approach was translabyrinthine on 11/30/21 at Emory Hospital in Atlanta, GA.
Total right side hearing lost and facial paralysis on right side
Phonak Audeo CROS-P hearing aids

bob_neuroma

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 12:16:24 pm »
Thanks for the reply both of you.

I will surely ask my neurosurgeon when I see him in about 6 weeks. I just ran across this:

The window of bone that was created to perform your operation has been secured in place with either small clamps or some plates and screws. These clamps or plates hold the bone fairly securely, but it usually takes up to 12 months for the bone window to fuse to the surrounding skull via growth of new bone across the narrow gap.

From https://www.precisionhealth.com.au/healthcare-services/advanced-neurosurgery-spinal-surgery/procedures-and-surgery/craniotomy/

Edit: Oh, this topic has already been brought up: https://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=15633.0
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 02:20:14 pm by bob_neuroma »

RayDe

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 07:44:00 pm »
I had retrosigmoid on my left side 8 months ago. I have the ridge behind my ear as well. About 1 one inch long .25 deep. I was concerned. Surgeon said it was atrophy of the muscle. He sent for a cat scan. I still have doubts. I still have pain and stiffness every day still. My tinnitus is awful. I now have gaze evoked tinnitus. That means when I move my eyes left or right it modulates or pulses. It's quite disturbing. He said the skull and neck muscles would take a year to heal. Slight to moderate headaches every day.

bob_neuroma

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 11:21:32 am »
Sorry to hear RayDe. I hope your tinnitus gets better. Is the pain and stiffness around the ridge? Did the doctor believe these muscles would heal? Would they regain their strength and the ridge even out? I am very weak on the right side and expect to get stronger but I am not sure about the dent, or depression.

It seems to me from reading other people's posts that the dent or depression will be there, like a scar of sort. But I am not sure. 

Anyway, hope you feel better some day soon, heard recovery can take longer in some cases.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 12:07:03 pm by bob_neuroma »

Jill Marie

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2022, 10:48:41 pm »
Hi Bob,  I had my surgery in 1992 and have the indentation you are talking about.  I've had no problems with it.  Good luck with your recovery.  Jill Marie
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

3tigerz

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2022, 12:03:05 pm »
I had retrosigmoid on my left side on 10/2020 and yes there is a dent there that goes up about 3 inches where the incision was and a couple of small round dents from the brace to secure your head during surgery. They are not a bother or hurt.
AN 1.4 CM Diagnosed 8/2019
Wait & See but grew to 2.3 CM in 8 mths
10/2020 Sub removal Retrosigmoid @ Stanford
Face sometimes tingly
Balance not too bad most days
Loss of left hearing
1 year follow-up = no growth

donjehle

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2022, 04:41:48 pm »
Thank you, 3tigerz, for posting and sharing your experience with this!
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

tsaff88

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2022, 09:05:43 am »
I have the same indent after translab surgery 10 years ago.   The surgeon said not to worry about it and it's never been a problem. My Cross talk hearing aid fits right in!