Author Topic: Are noise cancelling ear buds safe for SSD after AN surgery?  (Read 2889 times)

Autumnbird

Are noise cancelling ear buds safe for SSD after AN surgery?
« on: December 22, 2021, 04:54:43 pm »
I am 47 and and had a translab surgery for AN on left side (resulting in SSD). I want to protect hearing on my right side and am curious about noise canceling devices such as Bose and Air pods.  Are these safe for long term use? Appreciate any inputs or experience. Thanks
47 yr female
Progressive hearing loss, tinnitus since 2017
AN diagnosis left ear September 2021
1.5 cm width x 2.5 cm length
Translab November 2021
@ Univ of Iowa (Dr Marlan Hansen)
SSD, facial nerve preserved
Recovery slow but steady

donjehle

Re: Are noise cancelling ear buds safe for SSD after AN surgery?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2022, 05:09:08 pm »
Hi Autumnbird!

My ENT doctor has assured me that using noise canceling devices such as the air pods are safe for long term use.  He claims the research literature supports that.

I am still a little skeptical, and I am keeping anything which generates Bluetooth or ElectroMagnetic Frequencies away from my brain.  I would rather be safe than sorry.  But I do not have any evidence to support my anxiety.  If the medical literature is correct, you are probably fine with using the noise canceling devices for the long term.

Maybe someone else in the ANA community has more insight than I do.

Best wishes on your future!
Don
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

MariettaJoker

Re: Are noise cancelling ear buds safe for SSD after AN surgery?
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 02:29:48 am »
Many people have gone back to wired Apple earbuds to remove the real or perceived risk of Bluetooth exposure. A few other benefits:
- You never have to charge them
- They are only $20
- Hard to lose compared to Bluetooth buds
- It’s obvious when you have them on due to the visible wires, so people don’t bother you!
"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane" - Jimmy Buffett
Vestibular Schwannoma 2.3 x 2.5 cm. Right side.
Surgical approach was translabyrinthine on 11/30/21 at Emory Hospital in Atlanta, GA.
Total right side hearing lost and facial paralysis on right side
Phonak Audeo CROS-P hearing aids